Are taxis in Guadeloupe reliable?

baggyparsnips

Hi everyone. We will be in Guadeloupe in a few weeks on Millennium. We have read lots of negative feedback about this island but do not really want to do a ship tour. We are thinking about hiring a taxi to take us to Plage Sainte Anne. Has anyone done this by taxi before? Can we rely on a taxi to come back for us later in the day? Is the traffic particularly bad on this island? How long do we need to allow to get back to the ship?

Hi everyone. We will be in Guadeloupe in a few weeks on Millennium. We have read lots of negative feedback about this island but do not really want to do a ship tour. We are thinking about hiring a taxi to take us to Plage Sainte Anne. Has anyone done this by taxi before? Can we rely on a taxi to come back for us later in the day? Is the traffic particularly bad on this island? How long do we need to allow to get back to the ship?

Good afternoon!!

While I did a private tour in Guadeloupe,several of my tablemates and some of the people from my roll call hired taxis.

When you get off the ship, the taxi drivers were on the left side right after you leave the local vendor area (the tourist booth was immediately on the left side). There was one person who was assisting people with drivers and where they wanted to go.

Be advised because the Euro is stronger than the dollar,expect the rate for a tour to be slightly higher. The average cost was about $50.

Make sure that the agree price prior to leaving the port area. There was talk of some drivers wanting to change the price once they were away from port.

My tablemates went to a local rum distrilly,a small local town and a beach. They stated that the driver's English wasn't so good,but he made an effort and found them an English speaking person at one of their stops.

One of the people on my roll call stated her tour was great. But she had the advantage of speaking French.

I would advise giving yourself at least a hour to get back. Traffic got kind of heavy as we reach Point-a-Pier.

I hope this info helps

Archived