Montego Bay Beaches

sassy5683

We will be going to Jamaica the first week of Feb. and will be docked in Montego Bay. We still don't know for sure what we want to do while there. Some will depend on our budget at that time. We are still saving up our $$$ for our activites off the boat.

We have been thinking about going to Sunset Beach but for our family that is another $200 and we are thinking that is a bit much when we could jsut go back to the boat for a buffet lunch. Is there a beach near the dock that we can go to that is either free or has a smaller cost that has lockers and a bathroom (bathroom more important than lockers)?

We also aren't sure that we want to spend ALL of our time at the beach and are thinking that part of the time there we would like to do some shopping.

I have done some research and and thinking about Walter Fletcher Beach found out there is a Fort near there that i think DH will enjoy going to since he likes history stuff. Is there a better beach that is near any historical area or a good shopping area?

TIA

Sunset beach is alittle expensive when you have an entire family, but I went there in April and it was awesome. The beach is great; they have a pool with a lazy river that is fun; and the food and drinks are included too! The drinks are good as well as the food. It is well worth the price if you can't find somewhere else to go. I will be going back in Mar. 2010. Have fun!

I have been to Sunset Beach several times and it IS really nice!!! I will be traveling with 3 others in the family and $240 is a little too much just to go to the beach.

I am looking for a less expensive way to go the the beach in Jamaica also....

• 3 weeks later...

May I suggest Doctor's Cave Beach. It is a $3 Van ride from the cruise terminal with a 2 or 3 stops along the way to drop off other passengers at various places. This is the only way to leave the terminal now unless you have a ship excursion booked. They no longer allow regular cabs into the terminal area. The vans get full and then they leave.

The stop before Doctor's Cave Beach is Margaritaville. They drop you right at the entrance to Doctor's Cave. Now, it is $5pp to enter, but this keeps the locals out. Then, if you want a chair it is $5, floatie mat $5, umbrella $5, bucket of Red Stripe $10 (??, can't remember the exact price). There is a bar nearby called the Twisted Kilt and shopping along the street out front. It is a narrow two lane street lined with regular cabs to take you back to the ship, negotiate $3pp for the return trip. I wouldn't advise taking a less expensive cab back if someone offers. We usually find a the most elderly one to take us back. This can be expensive if you drink alot, but if you just want a nice quiet beach with clean facilities, it will be less expensive than other venues.

Having said all this, I will tell you that you WILL be approached by persons asking if you need "spice" or a girl for the day, etc. We always say No Thank You and they go about their way. I don't think they will approach a family with kids, but being two adult males, we always get approached, but if you let them know you are not interested, they won't waste their time around you. I'll try to attach some pics.

Yes, they bring a menu around and will bring it to you. There is an open air restaurant there also. Also, nearby is the Twisted Kilt Tavern and Margaritaville and The Pork Pit, all within walking distance. The street has shopping on both sides, too.

We never felt unsafe as we walked to Margaritaville, but just be mindful of your surroundings.

Cornwall Beach is just up the road from Doctor's Cave and is nice. I just came back from 2 weeks at my second home and spent a couple of days at Doctor's cave. nice changing areas. The food is very expensive as are the drinks, but they do sell some nice Jamaican patties and treats at the snack bar that I found reasonable. You can rent a chair, "lilo", and umbrella. In US it's like $15.00 for the umbrella, chair, and admission.

If you go to the craft market (near the Pork Pit restaurant) ask for Annette Pottinger..she is my dear friend who has a craft shop there. Her's is in the back.

Archived