First Time Cruiser Questions

rako

Hi,

We will be going on Princess Ruby Cruise to bahamas for 3 days end of december. We are family of 4 (2 kids 6 and 4) , me and my husband.

we booked 2 rooms, balcony and inside(like place holder) -

Can anyone point me on what to take, what not , Do's and Dont's.

i am going through the posts, but wnated to intoduce myself.

I have some questions -

1. when we go to the port, we take all our luggage, and from there they do the checkin?

2. i heard coffee, juice etc is free - then what do some people mean by coffee card ?

3. Also, i have the anytime Dining. Does that mean, i can go anytime and eat in the buffet, but cannot go to the formal dining ?

Thanks

Rako

When you arrive at the port, the porters will take your luggage from you before you actually check in (except your carry on if you want to keep with you.) The coffee is free in the dining rooms but is made from the syrup and many people do not like it (I personally have no problems with it). The coffee card is so you can get 'fresh brewed' or specialty coffees which are not free. Juice is available at breakfast and you would have to ask for it in the dining room. Anytime Dining means you can go to the main dining room anytime from 5:30 to 10pm to enjoy your dinner even on formal nights. You do not have to eat at the buffet at all if you don't want to.

I have some questions -

1. when we go to the port, we take all our luggage, and from there they do the checkin?

2. i heard coffee, juice etc is free - then what do some people mean by coffee card ?

3. Also, i have the anytime Dining. Does that mean, i can go anytime and eat in the buffet, but cannot go to the formal dining ?

Welcome to Cruise Critic and your first cruise. To answer your questions:

1. When you get to the port, there are porters at the entrance who will wisk your luggage away, leaving you with your carry-on. They will be delivered to your cabin later in the day.

2. Coffee onboard the ship is free, as is the juice. Some people don't like the coffee and prefer to get a coffee card which allows them to get a specified number of specialty coffees or fresh-brewed coffee. The coffee in the buffet and dining room are from a concentrate, not fresh-brewed and for most people, like myself, it's perfectly fine. Juice is free at breakfast but if you want it at other times of the day, there is a charge.

3. "Anytime" dining means that you have a choice of going to one or four dining rooms specified for Anytime dining. The menus are the same, the dress code is the same and the dining experience is similar to that in Traditional dining. The main difference is that you can theorectically walk in any time and be seated rather than have a set dining time. Like a popular land-based restaurant, there are times when there could be lines. If you're willing to sit at a table and eat with others, you shouldn't have a wait or the wait will be minimal. The buffet is open 24/7 so you can go there any time. :)

Hope this helps!

First off - Welcome to CC!!

Secondly, what date is your sailing - if you go to the Princess roll-call boards you can search through the threads and find a roll-call for your ship & date. My DH and I are on the 12/17 cruise.

*When you get to the cruise terminal you will drop off your luggage (make sure you fill out your luggage tags & have them attached to each piece of luggage), tip the porter, they will be loaded on the ship & delivered to your cabin later in the day.

**Once inside the terminal they will direct you where to check-in, receive your key/cruise card, etc.

***The coffee card is for specialty coffees - regular coffee, tea, ice tea & lemon ade are included.

****The buffet is open 24 hours and you are welcome to dine there anytime you like. The Any Time dining refers to the main dining rooms - where you can walk in and be seated "any time" as long as there is no waiting list. If there is it is usually a short wait before you are seated.

I hope this helps - many others here can also answer questions - Enjoy your cruise!

Hi,

We will be going on Princess Ruby Cruise to bahamas for 3 days end of december. We are family of 4 (2 kids 6 and 4) , me and my husband.

I have some questions -

Thanks

Rako

Leaving the airport, you take all your luggage. Most likely, a bus or taxi will take you to the cruise port. From there, your luggage is put into bins based on what deck you are on. And afterwards, you're luggage free while checking onto the ship. Later in the day, it will we waiting for you outside your room. Coffee and juice is free in the buffet. However, if you want coffee and cappuchino or espresso ANYTIME, anywhere -- you purchase a coffee card. For some 29.99, you receive a princess coffee cup and a sticker for your 'Princess Card' .. you show this to your waitor, or bartender and you can get yourself some coffee!! Same goes for a soda card. Anytime dining does not relate to the buffet. You may enter and leave the buffets as you please. Anytime dining refers to the formal dining rooms. ( Da Vinci, MichaelAngelo.. etc.) You can go whenever you'd like.. I like to base it on what shows are going on that night. Whereas with a set dining time.. you're limited to a 6 and 8 o clock seating. With anytime.. you can choose your waitor, and the people you sit with. The set dining times can sometimes lead you back to the exact table each night with the same people! No fun!

Hope this helped!

Hi,

Plenty of threads on those subjects, also check out the first time cruiser area.

I have some questions -

That is correct, there will be porters dockside to take your luggage. A small tip is customary. Even though they are well paid longshoreman, they expect it and it is not wise to make that point to them as they are handling your baggage. :D

The card is for premium coffee drinks such as lattes. Regular coffee is available.

Absolutely not!!! What it means you can go to one of the two anytime dining rooms between 5:30 pm and 10:00 pm and dine. The menu is exactly the same as the traditional dining room. You are also free to frequent the buffet if you desire. Dining is only formal on designated nights, otherwise the dress is "resort (or smart) casual" which means at least a polo shirt and nice slacks such a dockers or chinos.

Thanks

Rako

Hope you guys have a great cruise and ask away!!! This board has someone who can answer nearly every question you may have!!!!

Archived