Deposit refund question

dukemha

Two years ago on the Jewel of the Seas I placed a deposit on a future cruise, sail date and ship to be determined. We thought we'd be scheduling another RCI cruise within a short period of time, but it now appears as though it won't happen anytime soon. Has anyone had experience with requesting a refund of a deposit from RCI? Just curious whether the process is a hassle or whether it's something a cruiseline will do willingly. Thanks in advance.

Well, I just got my answer. I called and spoke with RCI's Resolution Representative who told me the deposit is non-refundable. The deposit is good for 10 years and is to be used to reduce the deposit required for a future cruise, as well as to give an onboard credit in an amount to be based on length of cruise. So, live and learn! I guess I'll just have to take a future RCI cruise. I can live with that.

Well, I just got my answer. I called and spoke with RCI's Resolution Representative who told me the deposit is non-refundable. The deposit is good for 10 years and is to be used to reduce the deposit required for a future cruise, as well as to give an onboard credit in an amount to be based on length of cruise. So, live and learn! I guess I'll just have to take a future RCI cruise. I can live with that.

If you truly don't/can't take a cruise right now, use your Next Cruise Certificate to book a short cruise 3-5 nights for 1 person...the deposit is $100 the amt. of the next cruise certificate...wait for a week or so & then cancel that cruise...you will receive your deposit back... the Certificate it's self is NOT refundable..but once applied to a cruise you will get your money back...

Many on here have gotten refunds when they actually book the cruise, fully deposited it and then a couple of weeks later cancel it. I have never tried it but many on here say it works.

Both suggestions sound like good ones, but I'm not sure I understand. The deposit I made will go to reduce a future deposit on a cruise, say, from $300 to $200. If I pay $200 then cancel some time later, won't my refund just be the $200 I paid for the "reduced" deposit? How will I get the original $100 back, the amount I placed on deposit 2 years ago? Sorry, I'm sure I'm missing something obviousl.

Both suggestions sound like good ones, but I'm not sure I understand. The deposit I made will go to reduce a future deposit on a cruise, say, from $300 to $200. If I pay $200 then cancel some time later, won't my refund just be the $200 I paid for the "reduced" deposit? How will I get the original $100 back, the amount I placed on deposit 2 years ago? Sorry, I'm sure I'm missing something obviousl.

the $100 you paid counts as the first 100$ of the deposit, it is not reduced.

No. You should get the $300 returned. I've done it and got my full deposit back. However, mine might have been a special case. I had a next cruise certificate that I used to book a cruise. Then, RC cancelled my cruise but none of their alternates appealed to me. Since it was the second cruise they had cancelled on me in 2 years, I was rather angry about the situation. I told them to cancel the whole thing and give me my deposit back.

SueL is right..your next cruise certificate is the 1st $100 of your deposit.. Good luck.. I've seen several people post that they were able to get the next cruise deposit refunded after they actually booked a cruise & applied the next cruise..

SueL is right..your next cruise certificate is the 1st $100 of your deposit.. Good luck.. I've seen several people post that they were able to get the next cruise deposit refunded after they actually booked a cruise & applied the next cruise..

I had 2 future cruise certificates to book my upcoming Monarch B2B, and RCI insisted, that the $100 of the certificates were NOT part of the deposit, i.e. I still had to pay the full deposit for each legs at time of booking. Basically, the FCC's increased the deposit by $100. They were part of the overall payment, though, and I booked just a week before final payment was due, so I didn't mind too much.

I had 2 future cruise certificates to book my upcoming Monarch B2B, and RCI insisted, that the $100 of the certificates were NOT part of the deposit, i.e. I still had to pay the full deposit for each legs at time of booking. Basically, the FCC's increased the deposit by $100. They were part of the overall payment, though, and I booked just a week before final payment was due, so I didn't mind too much.

Strange...maybe because you were already at final payment? I know my friend used a next cruise to book a 4nt cruise for next April & all she had to do was give our TA her next cruise certificate...

Archived