angels and demons excursion

bethaniesmom

anyone done one of these? curious to know if you felt like you saw alot of the churches you were in, or if it was more time running around trying to get to each location. i have done Rome before, many years ago, seen the churches, but after watching the movie this weekend i thought this tour might be interesting.

Beverly

curious to know if you felt like you saw alot of the churches you were in, or if it was more time running around trying to get to each location.
Central Rome, which is where all of the locations in this book take place, is fairly compact, so it doesn't take much time to get from point A to point B to point C. If you are focused, you can easily visit each of the locations and spend some quality time in them during a one day visit. Of course, most of the Vatican locations are not open to the public, but you can visit St. Peter's basilica.

I'm also interested in doing an Angels and Demons tour. There's a company which was mentioned in a USA Today article last year that provides four-hour tours. Their website is http://www.angelsanddemons.it. Also, Rome in Limo does a full day excursion from Civitavecchia, or you can include it in a one-day sightseeing tour with them. I'd love to know if anyone out there has done either of these, and what they thought of them.

Three Millennia Tours also offers an Angels & Demons tour:

http://www.threemillennia.com/semi-private-group-tours/the-unofficial-angels-and-demons-tour/

I haven't taken this one, but did use Three Millennia several years ago for a tour of the Forum, which was excellent.

Regarding Angels & Demons, when I read the book it drove me nuts that he "moved" the location of Santa Maria Vittoria, in order to make the points of his cross align better.

This as a terrific podcast. He also give hints on how to get to the sites by bus or walking.

http://ikangaroo.com/podcast.xml

I listened to it several times, but I did not actually do it.

Thanks, I just checked out the beginning of the podcast, and am really impressed! If we were going just by ourselves, I think my husband and I might try to do it. However, as there will be six or eight or us, it would probably be easier to do one of the tours. Has anyone done the angelsand demons.it, romeinlimo Angels and Demons, or 3 Millenium tour?

Thanks, I just checked out the beginning of the podcast, and am really impressed! If we were going just by ourselves, I think my husband and I might try to do it. However, as there will be six or eight or us, it would probably be easier to do one of the tours. Has anyone done the angelsand demons.it, romeinlimo Angels and Demons, or 3 Millenium tour?

It is a good one... isn't it! enjoy...

I've been to the Angel and Demon "sites" often as many folks like to see these. If you do go on your own, be aware that you have to take into account when the churches will be open. First Castel Sant'Angelo, like many museums in Rome, is closed on Mondays. Next, churches tend to close in the middle of the day - for most it's usually from about 12/12:30 - 3/3:30 PM. So your schedule may not be following the scope of the book in order.

St. Peter's IS open all day (except if the Pope is doing a Papal Audience in the Square on Wednesday AM's), The Four River's Fountain in Piazza Navona is always availale (although now it's surrounded by XMAS market booths!). The Pantheon has mass in the late afternoon and is sometimes "closed" to the public for weddings and special holiday mass. So do lay out your plan according to these "bumps." If you use public transportation, you can easily see these - with depth - in about 5/6 hours which does fit a one-day schedule.

The "official" tour lists these locations:

- St. Maria del Popolo Church

- St. Maria della Vittoria Church

- St. Peter's Square

- Pantheon

- Piazza Navona

- Castel Sant’Angelo

- “Il Passetto” (from outside)

The top two, highlighted in red, are the two that are closed mid-day. In the summer, you can walk on top of Il Passetto, and that's certainly a treat! With the exception of an entrance fee at Castel Sant’Angelo, all these locations are free. With the exception of the Pantheon, all of these are quite accessible by public transportation. The Pantheon is served only in adjacent streets by the 116 Electric bus, but frankly is a wonderful spot to walk into.

The best guide to the Angels and Demons info if you are going to do a self-tour is probably by Angela K. Nickerson. Go to this website for her FREE download of a 43-page description of these sites http://www.roaringfortiespress.com/content/our_catalog_angels_demons.php .

(Click on the button in the middle of the page and save the PDF file on your computer). It's probably the most comprehensive tour information! I have used this extensively to research these sites... and she provides great info to go beyond just her article. Good Luck!

Ron in Rome

I'm also interested in doing an Angels and Demons tour. There's a company which was mentioned in a USA Today article last year that provides four-hour tours. Their website is www.angelsanddemons.it. Also, Rome in Limo does a full day excursion from Civitavecchia, or you can include it in a one-day sightseeing tour with them. I'd love to know if anyone out there has done either of these, and what they thought of them.

Hi Foxeysandy

Romeinlimo review on this boards - Angels and Demons tour

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=20574353

Also Viator offer halfday tour

http://www.partner.viator.com/en/3134/tours/Rome/Rome-Angels-and-Demons-Half-Day-Tour/d511-3731ANGELS/TR

We were in Rome pre-cruise last year and thought it would be fun do an "Angels and Demons" tour this year pre-cruise. We did not use a tour since we had three days to take our time. If you like to walk, Rome is doable on foot without really having to take public transportation especially if take gelato and pizza breaks. The only location that is out of the way is Santa Maria Vittoria which is not where the book says it is. Have fun.

Archived