NCL says "Let them drink Rum...or wine"

cruznut1111

Perhaps so. but it seemed like a pretty reasonable request. At least I would be paying them for the beer. When they get me special bread/ cookies/ meals it is free to me. Your did catch that it was GF beer, right? Not like I could have another choice.

I am sure you made the request in ernest, but I too think some probably laughed a bit..if every request like this was honored do you have any idea what a nightmere this would turn into.??

Nita

Well, I'm still a wee bit confused about the cost - I hope. But- it appears

I will having BEER & PIZZA on my upcoming cruise!!

Of course the price is high compared to buying it in the grocery store - $36 for a case there. But on ship any premium beer + tip would run @ $6 a bottle, so this will be just a tad more @$6.85. (Still cheap compared to a Perfect Margarita or a glass of wine, so I said YES.)

Now I'll explain the part about the confusion. I got an email, but it was addressed to Susan W and referenced a cruise in Europe and needing 2 months to get the beer sent over. Not my name and my cruise is out of LA so I'm hoping that this price included some shipping costs that won't be there on a domestic cruise.

If the price does end up being lower than the $164.22 I'll send out a follow up, but I just thought it was important to let NCL know that those of us who are looking for GF beer are serious about it.

Cruznut1111

That's about the same price I pay for Red Stripe (and Labatt's when they had it), so really not that bad. Just ask if you can get a helmet or bucket (6 beers for the price of 5) for your brand. I always do that and keep it on ice in the fridge.

Good luck! :D

Well, I'm still a wee bit confused about the cost - I hope. But- it appears

I will having BEER & PIZZA on my upcoming cruise!!

Of course the price is high compared to buying it in the grocery store - $36 for a case there. But on ship any premium beer + tip would run @ $6 a bottle, so this will be just a tad more @$6.85. (Still cheap compared to a Perfect Margarita or a glass of wine, so I said YES.)

Now I'll explain the part about the confusion. I got an email, but it was addressed to Susan W and referenced a cruise in Europe and needing 2 months to get the beer sent over. Not my name and my cruise is out of LA so I'm hoping that this price included some shipping costs that won't be there on a domestic cruise.

If the price does end up being lower than the $164.22 I'll send out a follow up, but I just thought it was important to let NCL know that those of us who are looking for GF beer are serious about it.

Who sent the email to Susan W? Was it the Special Needs Department or the Bar set-up department? In other words, who should I contact?:D

We now have three people on our CC roll call who are Gluten Free. We are cruising from Europe; so, I would like to contact NCL soon.

Thanks for tracking this news down!

Kim

Who sent the eTmail to Susan W? Was it the Special Needs Department or the Bar set-up department? In other words, who should I contact?:D

We now have three people on our CC roll call who are Gluten Free. We are cruising from Europe; so, I would like to contact NCL soon.

Thanks for tracking this news down!

Kim

I've been working with the Access Department.

The person is Yonaiky Trujillo (drop spaces) ytrujillo @ ncl dot com

There is still a bit of confusion on my order (they were planning to get me a case for every sailing), but I think that will be easy to clear up.

Make sure you include your reservation number in the email.

The $164.22 does seem to be the price either domestic or Europe. Only the time is a factor.

Good Luck!

Cruznut1111

That's about the same price I pay for Red Stripe (and Labatt's when they had it), so really not that bad. Just ask if you can get a helmet or bucket (6 beers for the price of 5) for your brand. I always do that and keep it on ice in the fridge.

Good luck! :D

I'll definitely find some way to keep it real cool, helmet, or champagne bucket. (BTW to all - Fridge stays a lot cooler if you leave your cabinet door open. Not as pretty, but the heat dissipates.)

Re the buy "5/ 1 free" - figuring that way the bottle price would be @$8.20, but with GF we are used to paying more for everything. I'm just so glad they are giving me the opportunity, I'm not going to fuss about the cost.

My wife and I took a case of Red Bridge on the Pearl in February of 2007. I believe I wrote to the ship coordinator and got permission. My daughter and wife both have celiac and they could not get Red Bridge on board. They gave me a hard time going through security, but allowed me through when they read the email I had printed out. I kept the beer in my room during the cruise and always had a couple on ice. Keep asking they may change their mind. You may have to go over a few heads. good luck

engineer

My wife and I took a case of Red Bridge on the Pearl in February of 2007. I believe I wrote to the ship coordinator and got permission. My daughter and wife both have celiac and they could not get Red Bridge on board. They gave me a hard time going through security, but allowed me through when they read the email I had printed out. I kept the beer in my room during the cruise and always had a couple on ice. Keep asking they may change their mind. You may have to go over a few heads. good luck

engineer

Thank you very much for this precedent. If I have the patience to continue in my effort, I'll remind them of this.

Earlier today I thought it was all settled. Then they came back to me that the $164.22 a case price was based on all 5 cruises I have pending - yipes!

I made a final offer of paying it on our two longer cruises and that is it.

I'm just getting tired of all the effort. It shouldn't be this hard. Another thing your post sadly tells me is that in the almost 3 years since your request, no effort has been made to add a few GF bottles to the inventory. Just sad and depressing.

At this point I'm considering turning the 8 weeks on board as "SPA WEEKS" - lots of fish and chicken and forget the pizza & alcohol all together. My doctor would be so happy, my bill payer would be happy - as for me... not so much.:(

I'm just getting tired of all the effort. It shouldn't be this hard. Another thing your post sadly tells me is that in the almost 3 years since your request, no effort has been made to add a few GF bottles to the inventory. Just sad and depressing.

I am going to start sending some letters and emails this week to NCL. I have also asked some of their other GF cruisers to do the same. There really are quite a few Gf cruisers who stick with NCL because they do provide a nice selection of GF food on the ships including pasta and pizza.

I found out about the NCL GF program from GF web sites, support groups and chat rooms. We have been cruising only NCL ever since. I think that it is time for those GF support groups to go on a letter writing campaign! It has worked with other resorts.

Just when I was beaten and giving up the fight, I woke up to find this email.

SO - now I go to the Roll Calls and hope I'm not the only beer-drinking GFer on board.:rolleyes:

===========================

Yes, this works. Thank you.

Y T - Access Coordinator

Norwegian Cruise Line®

7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126

At this time I would like to order a case for the STAR 1/2/2010 - $164.22

and a case for the DAWN 2/26/2010 $164.22

Total guaranteed purchase - $328.44

If my health holds I will order a case for the JADE in July.

Does that work?

D

• 4 weeks later...

While we are still in port I wanted to briefly interrupt my happy dance & drinking to let you know the case of Redbridge beer was waiting when we opened the cabin door for the first time.

It looked wonderful - I thought I heard violins playing. There was a frosty six-pack in a pretty blue Bud ice bucket. Three more 6 packs were lined up neatly beside. Two pilsner glasses were ready for pouring.

Unpacking can come later. Right now I have to savor the moment.... and the beer.:D

That was my thought too!! And it'd be really nice if your doctor could add that you "must have beer!!" It's true, right? :p

A funny story. I was promoted to Captain in the Army, and the Dr (Col) Deputy Commander, of the military hospital happened to be in the officers clup, when my promotion party was held. I invited him to have a drink, and he ended up having two martinis. About a year and a half later, I broke my back, in a "hard" the air forces term, landing. Actually, the plane broke through the metal runway, and folded up the landing gear, but we humor them, and call it a hard landing. Anyway, I was medevaced to a hospital in Vietnam, for treatment, prior to evacuation to the US. The hospital commander was none other than that Col. When he did rounds of new patients, he took one look at me, and said to my attending doc, "prescribe two martinees a day for this man."

About 7 weeks later, I arrived at Vally Forge General hospital, where the doctor wanted to know how I had gotten some clerk to put that prescription in my record. He actually started an investigation, which was quickly cancelled, but he did cancel the prescription.

Appologies for going off topic.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to believe two weeks ago I was worried about how I would be able to pack up all the beer that would be left over from my case. I'm a bit embarrased to say all 4 bottles fit easily in my 21" cases.

Al, amazing way to get a prescription! I always thought I was lucky, but that tops it.

Archived