Infant Formula - powder or ready to feed?

cryce

We leave in 3 weeks for our Christmas cruise and we're trying to decide which kind of formula to use for our 6.5 month old - powder (which we use at home) or the same brand but in ready to serve cans.

Obviously the ready to serve seems easiest but I'm concerned about transporting it to the ship - we are flying from Canada and I will need to being a week's worth of formula in my checked baggage (can only bring a reasonable amt for the flight as carry-on). I'm concerned about the liquid ready to serve cans freezing/exploding etc in the baggage hold on the plane. Also, the liquid will be very very heavy and will take up a lot of our baggage allowance.

So, here are my questions - has anyone used powdered formula without a problem? Anyone had problems transporting liquid formula?

I would just wait and buy all our formula for the week once we arrive at our port but I'm worried about the formula not being exactly the same as what my son is used to, even if we find the same brand name. Sometimes what is in the exact same brand varies between Canada and the US.

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions :)

Definitely start getting used to the powder now. My daughter would switch between the two super easy without any issues but I know some kids that hated one or the other.

We have travelled a TON with our daughter and have brought liquids in our checked suitcases to Asia, America, Europe, etc. In probably 50 flights we have had one breakage. (it was a short domestic flight!) This includes long life milk, glass formula bottles, plastic bottles, etc.

I always wrap in paper towels and then put in a double ziploc bag.

It's nice to have a backup ready to feed in your diaper bag just in case so I would bring a few, but don't load your whole suitcase with heavy liquids.

Archived