Singapore port to airport

Jade13

We need to find something to do in Singapore until our very late night flight, I believe after 11:00pm. So, don't really want to be at the airport until at least 6:00pm.

Azamara's transfer/tour is only a few hours and I believe drop off at 1:00pm, since guests can not have flights before 4:00pm.

I know one option is to go to a hotel and leave luggage with a concierge, but that's not the way we want to end a cruise (very organized and than lugging luggage and trying to find a hotel to store it).

Should we just hire a driver with mini-van? Which driver/tour guide? What should we not miss, etc?

Also, I hear there is a lot to do at the airport. Any suggestions?

I asked this a number of months ago, but didn't get much of a response.

Suggest that you go straight to the airport and either check in or leave your luggage in storage there. As it will be early there will not be anywhere open in Singapore at that time. Singapore tourist do operate free tours for transit passengers that last a couple of hours. For info on this search gor the Changi Airport website, you will get a lot of info there. I would book a tour with them and return to the places where you want to spend more time at when that is finished. Sentosa would be a nice place to spend a few hour at and also China town. Singapore is very small and you can get around by yourself either by cab or transit relatively cheaply.

Enjoy!

I would definitely go to the airport website: http://www.changiairport.com/changi/en/index.html.

In addition to 2 two-hour tours for in-transit passengers, the visitor information centre also offers free city shuttles with the option of then taking a HOHO tour. The metro also runs from the airport to downtown.

You can leave your luggage at one of the storage facilities at the airport; there is one in each terminal. There is also a transit hotel if you want to catch a nap as well as gardens, a swimming pool with changing rooms, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

As a Singaporean, may I suggest that you take a taxi as soon as you disembark and proceed to Changi Airport. You can then store your luggage there, have lunch at the airport (lots of Asian and Western food at reasonable price) and then hop onto the MRT (underground train) from airport to City Hall station. At this station , its the Raffles City shopping cetre with a Robinson dept.store. Across the street its the Raffles Hotel, where you could walk around and visit the little museum. You could quite easily spend a couple of hour there.

From Raffles hotel you could walk to Bugis Street and through there to Serangoon road where Little India is located. It is approximatle 30 minutes walk through the shopping mall and outdoor. From Little India you must visit Mustapha departmental store. It is a great place to change your foreign currency at the best rate without any commission. The store has narrow aisle and packed with shoppers on weekends. At this store you could get really cheap Singapore souvenir, sport clothes, lovely beaded Indian sandals and lots of Italian chocolates. Everything sold here is cheaper therefore it is popular with the locals and tourist. If you like Indian food this is the place to enjoy them. The Farrer Park MRT station is located diagonally from Mustapha store. From this station you could hop onto the train to Orchard Road (change at Dhoby Ghaut station). I think you could easily spend a day window shopping in Singapore.

Hope this information helps you to enjoy your stay in sunny and humid Singapore.

As a Singaporean, may I suggest that you take a taxi as soon as you disembark and proceed to Changi Airport. You can then store your luggage there, have lunch at the airport (lots of Asian and Western food at reasonable price) and then hop onto the MRT (underground train) from airport to City Hall station. At this station , its the Raffles City shopping cetre with a Robinson dept.store. Across the street its the Raffles Hotel, where you could walk around and visit the little museum. You could quite easily spend a couple of hour there.

From Raffles hotel you could walk to Bugis Street and through there to Serangoon road where Little India is located. It is approximatle 30 minutes walk through the shopping mall and outdoor. From Little India you must visit Mustapha departmental store. It is a great place to change your foreign currency at the best rate without any commission. The store has narrow aisle and packed with shoppers on weekends. At this store you could get really cheap Singapore souvenir, sport clothes, lovely beaded Indian sandals and lots of Italian chocolates. Everything sold here is cheaper therefore it is popular with the locals and tourist. If you like Indian food this is the place to enjoy them. The Farrer Park MRT station is located diagonally from Mustapha store. From this station you could hop onto the train to Orchard Road (change at Dhoby Ghaut station). I think you could easily spend a day window shopping in Singapore.

Hope this information helps you to enjoy your stay in sunny and humid Singapore.

SPY1956,

Thanks!

This is just the information that I was looking for. Do you have any idea how much they charge for the luggage? Is it just by the piece of luggage or by weight, etc, and whether this can be paid by credit card, or if we need cash? We will be on an Al Nippon flight going to Tokyo and than on to the US.

Approx how much is a taxi to the airport, and how far is the location?

Also, I did look a number of months ago and see the free tours offered through the airport (I assume tips are expected?), however, I was unclear what was meant by intransit and whether you had to have just gotten off a plane vs. coming from the port.

I like your idea of going to the airport by taxi, storing luggage, having lunch at the airport, but than possibly some type of driving tour around town where we can than get off somewhere, walk around (Singapore Flyer, Raffles, Chinatown) and eventually take a train back to the airport.

The charge for small cabin bag is S$3.15, suitcase - S$4.20 and odd size S$8.40 each. The Left Luggage is open 24 hours and is located at

Terminal 1, 2 and 3. You can pay this by credit card.

Taxi fare to and fro from city to airport is about S$18 - S$3. The fare varies due to surcharge from taxi leaving the airport, time of the day and entry into CBD area. It is approximately 30 minutes from the cruise terminal to Changi airport. The MRT costs about S$3 from the airport to downtown. It is air-conditioned, safe, clean and fast.

I suggest you change a small amount of Singapore currency at the cruise terminal to pay for the taxi fare though taxi do accept credit card payment.

The free tour does not allow much time for shopping. Please look at the Changi airport web site for more information. If you want to visit the Singapore Flyer, you could get off at City Hall station and get a taxi there or walk from there. From this station, you could also take a train to chinatown or a direct bus in front of North Bridge Road. Please ask the locals to direct you as they are English speaking and always helpful to tourists. Due to time constraint, if you could get hold of a map and plan your journey, you will be surprise how much you could see in one day. The transport system is excellent in Singapore. Hope this information is helpful.

Thanks!

This is just the information that I was looking for. Do you have any idea how much they charge for the luggage? Is it just by the piece of luggage or by weight, etc, and whether this can be paid by credit card, or if we need cash? We will be on an Al Nippon flight going to Tokyo and than on to the US.

Approx how much is a taxi to the airport, and how far is the location?

Also, I did look a number of months ago and see the free tours offered through the airport (I assume tips are expected?), however, I was unclear what was meant by intransit and whether you had to have just gotten off a plane vs. coming from the port.

I like your idea of going to the airport by taxi, storing luggage, having lunch at the airport, but than possibly some type of driving tour around town where we can than get off somewhere, walk around (Singapore Flyer, Raffles, Chinatown) and eventually take a train back to the airport.

So, my partner and I were just in Singapore, and we actually didn't leave until 2:30 am the next morning. We found an EXCELLENT hotel room at a great price, and went from the cruise port to there to leave our bags. We then explored the city for the day and evening, and were able to return to our hotel room to shower and change. It is hot, and having that opportunity was much enjoyed. We then went to the airport, with no problems whatsoever. We're going back in April, disembarking from a cruise ship, and will do the same thing.

So we'll be on Azamara too and look forward to going back to Singapore. The metro system there is simply incredible in terms of being easy to use and cheap. Being from the US, we thought that the cabs were incredibly cheap too. The areas that you mentioned---Flyer, Chinatown, etc, were easily reached by the metro. There is an incredible bird park there, if that interests you.

• 3 months later...

We have used the luggage transfer service and found them to be very convenient so am sharing with you. We booked the service online at http://www.porterxpress.com. On our morning cruise arrival, they waited for us at cruise terminal arrival area and stored our luggage. We were free to go around Singapore until our evening departure flight, without our luggage. When we arrive at airport later, our luggage were returned to us at our airport check-in counter. Excellent service !

We took Azamara's tour and airport transfer which at $45.00 each (I believe) was a bargain and took us on a driving tour with very good guide and three stops, orchid garden, waterfront, and china town.

After arriving at the airport we put our luggage in storage, had lunch and then went back to town to go on the Singapore Flyer. We had a nice day, and great airport with free TV's and internet with computers you can use!

Archived