Ocho Rios, what to do with 4yo and 20mo?

mamaoftwoimps

We're taking our first cruise in several years, now with two little ones in tow. We'll be doing 4 days on Navigator of the Seas. Pretty much we're keeping it simple and hanging out on the beach in Labadee (no excursions) so the kids can play in the sand.

What is there that we can do with our kids in Ocho Rios that is not an excursion aside from walking around the port? Are there beaches within walking distance?

Thanks for any input!

I know that you will get a lot of different opinions on this. I have been there several times and this includes times when we had the children with us.

My best advice would be to stay on the ship and let the children enjoy the pool and other areas of the ship since it will be far less crowded when you are in port.

If you just want to walk around you would need to take the shuttle over to the little city area where you will see a bunch of tourist oriented stores. They are not worth the time and I just don't see it being fun for the kids. I would take the ship anytime over this port.

Keith

Thanks Keith. Our youngest one will not be able to enjoy the pool onboard because of the whole swim diaper issue, but he's a baby who is perfectly content to just run around. Hubby and I are more concerned that the kids have a good time, so we have completely changed how we vacation to just take things slowly. Staying onboard might just be what we do.

I take it then that there's no beach within walking distance at Ocho Rios.

If I remember correctly there is a beach right adjacent to the Cruise Ship Terminal. Someone who has been there recently might remember better. I have to tell you that I don't care for Ocho Rios so I am one who recommends just staying on the ship. I just find the locals to be only interested in one thing (money from tourists) and find many of the areas to be unclean and to me not very safe. Again, others might have different views on this.

Keith

Archived