America West Airline

emmy

Am thinking of booking the Sapphire Princess out of Los Angeles so out of curiosity checked the prices of airfare out of Detroit yesterday and came up with a fare of $137.00 return with America West from DTW to Long Beach airport...of course that fare is not there today. Seemed almost too good to be true the price that it

I have no experience with this airline...any thoughts?

Emmy

Two years ago, you had to push and shove me to fly America West (America Worst). It was only in desperation did I fly the home town airline.

That has all changed. They actually are a pretty darn good airline, NOW. Fares are reasonable, in flight service is on par with American and much better than Delta or United. American is my preferred carrier, but American stopped the non-stop Phoenix/NYC flight. I fly to NY once a month, so have been trying America West again. The planes are clean, you can upgrade to first class at the counter, the check-in kiosk or at the gate (space available) for a very reasonable fee ($200, coast to coast). AND a biggie, they are in pretty darn good financial shape.

When you find a fare such as you found, book it. I think you will be pleased with America West.

I agree with Greatam....America West has really turned themselves around and is a good airline to fly. The prices are usually pretty good, the planes decent, & the staff decent. The only knock I have against them is that they are no longer in the code-share with Continental so I can't earn OnePass miles any longer when I fly on them.

Emmy, one thing you have to check, is that a one way fare? AWA has this habit of publishing those great fares, but you have to read the fine print and once you do that, you find that the great fare is only for one way and not round trip. I found this out living in the Greater Phoenix Area for 14 years.

darcie..thank you for that tip. I will pay close attention to that. I do not think it was one way as the same price was coming up on cheaptickets as well.

At the time I was just surfing for potential airfare for a potential cruise but now I am ready to book the cruise so will be on the look out for a good airfare.

Emmy :)

Archived