Favorite Foods

loves2cruz

I eat just about anything and don't have any favourite foods. Everything thing on a Cruise is of a high standard especially the meals, I don't have any real complaints.

Really like your username " loves2cruz " it's much better than some of the other variations going around.

I eat just about anything and don't have any favourite foods. Everything thing on a Cruise is of a high standard especially the meals, I don't have any real complaints.

Really like your username " loves2cruz " it's much better than some of the other variations going around.

I'm pretty much the same - near enough omnivorous. However, can I just put in a quick vote for Eggs Benedict? Yummy.

J

PS - morning Stoppers, how ya doin' ?

I'm pretty much the same - near enough omnivorous. However, can I just put in a quick vote for Eggs Benedict? Yummy.

J

Fine, how are you ? I was thinking of cooking Eggs Benedict at some point never cooked it before. I recently purchased a book full of Breakfast receipes one of which was E/B, the book " Breakfast [ Food worth getting out of bed for ] is well worth a read. I love the line on the back cover of the book. The author writes " Most of the ills of the world can be traced back to three things: not enough sleep, not enough sex, and not enough breakfast, while this book can't do much about the first two, it does aim to change the latter "

Fine, how are you ? I was thinking of cooking Eggs Benedict at some point never cooked it before. I recently purchased a book full of Breakfast receipes one of which was E/B, the book " Breakfast [ Food worth getting out of bed for ] is well worth a read. I love the line on the back cover of the book. The author writes " Most of the ills of the world can be traced back to three things: not enough sleep, not enough sex, and not enough breakfast, while this book can't do much about the first two, it does aim to change the latter "

ROFL,

Love the quote from the book - and I'd certainly agree about "not enough breakfast". I used to hate poached eggs until I tried Eggs Benedict on QV for the first time, now I'm hooked. I think I'll have a look for that book and try my hand at them myself. I'm pretty good at omelettes but I've never tried cooking a poached egg.

J

Gently boiling water swirling around in a fairly deep saucepan, a teaspoon or so of malt vinegar and fresh eggs are the key ingredients. Heat the water, get it swirling by stirring it and add the egg to the centre of the pan and it should sink and then hold together. If it spreads out it wasn't fresh. Then you have to make the hollandaise :eek::eek::eek:

Gently boiling water swirling around in a fairly deep saucepan, a teaspoon or so of malt vinegar and fresh eggs are the key ingredients. Heat the water, get it swirling by stirring it and add the egg to the centre of the pan and it should sink and then hold together. If it spreads out it wasn't fresh. Then you have to make the hollandaise :eek::eek::eek:

Thise my Fav breskfast and QM2 does it so well, Thanks for the tips,

Or lie down and point Mrs Cruachan in the direction of this recipe.

Catsoup

J

If you like eggs benedict, I suggest you try shirred eggs as well ( not at the same time!). They were certainly available in Queens Grill on our recent QV and were delicious :D

A cap'n that cooks, very nice. I never heard of putting malt vinegar in the water for poached eggs. Does it help it cook or add to the taste? And you forgot your recipe for hollandaise. Do you have one?

Gail

No the vinegar and spinning water keep the egg together rather than allowing it to spread itself.

Hollandaise, I suggest that you whisk two egg yolks, half teaspoon of vinegar, a few drops of cold water and salt together in a metal bowl. Place the bowl over a pan of just-simmering water (make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water) and whisk continuously for 4-5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened slightly.

Remove the bowl from the heat and add 125 grammes of melted butter in a thin, steady stream, whisking continuously, until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add the juice of one quarter of a lemon and a touch of cayenne pepper, to taste.

Queens Grill, shiver me timbers, I am travelling in steerage and am damn lucky to get Eggs Benedict

No the vinegar and spinning water keep the egg together rather than allowing it to spread itself.

Hollandaise, I suggest that you whisk two egg yolks, half teaspoon of vinegar, a few drops of cold water and salt together in a metal bowl. Place the bowl over a pan of just-simmering water (make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water) and whisk continuously for 4-5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened slightly.

Remove the bowl from the heat and add 125 grammes of melted butter in a thin, steady stream, whisking continuously, until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add the juice of one quarter of a lemon and a touch of cayenne pepper, to taste.

Queens Grill, shiver me timbers, I am travelling in steerage and am damn lucky to get Eggs Benedict

So that is how the eggs get that great big eyeball look, then. Everytime I have Eggs Benedict I feel as though someone is looking at me from my plate. I shall try the malt vinegar next time I make them. I always cheat on the hollondaise and make it with the help of a little aluminum packet, but I would suspect the home made variety might be better.

I never had a problem getting Eggs Benedict in steerage. I imagine the cut-back on the more exotic recipes provided to the lowly steerage lot must have something to with our economy. Rowing requires lots of energy and a need for protein though, so I would hope that those in power would not eliminate the sources of protein altogether-- the boat is apt to come to a full stop.:eek:

Archived