Recommended pravite guides - Ochos Rios

tampacruiser1006

My husband and I utilized the services of Lebert Watson several years ago and I have posted recommendations for him several times. He is a more mature man and a careful driver. In fact, we will be back in Jamaica in 10 days and will be touring with him again. One thing we really enjoyed with him was the walking tour of the jungle guided by the grandson of a witchdoctor. Lebert can be reached at leberttours@hotmail.com.

Try Peat Taylor. I have used him in the past and was very, very happy with the service. If you do a search for him on this board you will hear from others who have utilized his services and have been pleased. :D

We used Marva when we travelled to Jamaica. She was WONDERFUL! (Or, Marvelous, as Marvelous Marva is also known!) We thought very highly of her and the experience she afforded us. We've recommended her to everyone we know. In fact, my parents and siblings went on a cruise in January of this year - they used Marva based upon our recommendation and LOVED her!!! You can find her at knowjamaica.com. Good luck!

We were just there last Thursday on the Carnival Liberty, and had prebooked with Phil Lafayette. Very personable and knowledgeable, and felt totally safe on the tour. We did Dunn's River Falls and some of the group went river tubing also, but Phil took us on a private tour whle they were tubing. Had a great time, and would highly recommend him:)

Anyone wish to share typical costs of using a private guide? thanks

i'd be interested in some price discussion too. we we were in mo-bay over thanksgiving we paid our driver US$200 for the full day and were content paying that price. how does this compare to what others have paid private guides in jamaica?

We just returned from Jamaica where my parents, my husband and I toured with Lebert Watson. This was our second time with Lebert (see my earlier post for leberttours@hotmail.com). He charged 150 (US dollars) for the 4 of us for an all-day tour (entrance fees extra) tailored for my elderly parents limited physical capabilities. We had a great time. Lebert has been doing this for years and is known by many of the Ocho Rio residents. A few quiet words from Lebert stopped all hassle from the vendors. Plus, there was a big demonstration going on at the port by local drivers, but because they knew Lebert we zipped right through the mob scene.

• 2 weeks later...

and they are MARKS TOURS!!

Mark took us along with a group in October and What a wonderful day he showed us! His bus was extermely clean, very nice and next to brand new with ice cold A/C.

Mark is a Very Professional individual and loves his job, and country and it shows. He took the time before we met him to get to know all of our names, and he called us by our names throughout the day. When talking to us he would say something then say "you know what I mean Bill"? He speaks very good english, and to me sounded alot like Cuba Gooding Jr. but can also give you a taste of the Traditional Jamacian slang that you are probably thinking he would talk.

He also kept us away from the bad areas, or places he felt were only trying to take money from us and offered to take us to the Flea market but said if we wanted to go he would accompany us. (I am thinking so we did not get taken advantage of).

I am a Firefighter by profession, and during the tour he asked if we had any teachers or firefighters on board and when he found out I was a firefighter he drove about a mile out of his way to take us to the Ochos Rios fire department.

He pulled in the parking lot of the FD and put the bus in park and said "Ok Steinfath, here we are, get out and go get your picture taken with the Jamacian Firefighters".. This turned out to be a pretty nice memory for me being able to show others my visit to the Ohos Rios FD.

Mark's Father makes pottery and although we did not get to meet his father, we did get to make a quick stop at his house and were honored to get to see the home Mark grew up in (which by the way was a very nice home).

I have to say out of my last nine cruises, Mark was the best tour guide we have ever had! We did the Dunns River Falls, Tubing and Fern Gully, his prices were very reasonable for all we did and I would reccomend his tour company to anyone going to Ohos Rios.!:)

Price $55.00pp adult (Falls, Tubing, Fern Gully and sight seeing) price included all entrance fees, transportation and a spectacular day!

http://www.markstours.com/home.html

Lonnie

We have used Mark Morris 3 times now (most recently on May 13, 09) and had a blast each time.

Each time we have done the combined tour (Dunns Fall/River tubing) with our group size ranging from 4 people to 11 people and ages from early twenties to mid-sixties. He will tailor the tour and times to satisfy the group and each time we have done something a little different over and above the normal tour. He is very friendly and very knowledgeable about Jamaica.

Here is another recommendation for Mark Morris! We have used his tour services twice. Once with our family of four and the second time with our group of 35. Both times he did a fantastic job and everyone agrees he is the best tour guide they have ever had. I cruise frequently and always book private tours mostly with the guides recommended on these boards as I research everything, so that is saying a lot!

He is so good to tailor your tour to what you want to do and he was so considerate that he even called me from Jamaica the week before we left just to confirm everything.

Our daughter who was 14 the first time we toured with him did not even want to get off the boat. She had read (here on these boards) such terrible things about Jamaica she was afraid and did not want to go. I shared that with Mark in an email while we were setting up our first tour with him. Anyway when we got off the boat he was so kind to her and spoke to her by her name and really worked hard to relax her and make her comfortable. This time as a mature 15 year old and cruising this time with some of her friends I overheard her telling them well Mark this and Mark that... quite the transformation!

Both times we went to Dunn's River Falls and then followed that up with tubing down the river. Which the tubing is not to be missed the water is so crystal clear that you almost feel you are in some make believe Disney water park it just is unbelievable. Several in our large group had thought they might not tube but decided to do it anyway and said they are so glad. We got to the Falls so early with Mark you miss all the masses we were in and out way before the crowds overtook the place.

My Mother who is 75 did not walk the falls but Mark stayed right with her and walked with her up the path beside and got her the various look outs to see us and took pictures of her beside the falls even when our group came buy he backed her up and got a photo that makes it look like she was in the falls with us. How thoughtful is that!

On our first trip we followed up the tubing by going to his fathers pottery studio at his Dad's home. It was awesome to see how the pottery was made even the greenware (I think that is the name of the stuff they make pottery out of) anyway it is all hand made. There was no pressure to buy anything but we did as it was so beautiful and so unique. I still use my mug everyday at my office. We did not go there the second trip, not because we didn't want to, just with the larger group the logistics of moving everyone was a little tougher.

Both times we wanted some authentic Jamaican cuisine so Mark took us to a place to get some Jerk Chicken and even sample some Meat Patties which everyone loves. Wish we could get those here...yumm!

Then we even went to a shopping area where Mark got us some great deals on Blue Mountain coffee and some other must haves. Even had a little fun with the overproof rum shots!

He picked us up in an immaculate bus (it looks brand new) that was air conditioned with plenty of red stripe beer for the adults, sodas for the kids and some snacks.

But the best part is Mark! He is a warm, intelligent, man who loves his country and is proud to show it off. We had people in our large group of all ages. From probably 8 to 75 including teenagers and EVERYONE loved Jamaica! Pretty incredible that my Mother who is 75 and my daughter that is 15 could have so much fun doing the same thing. We felt very safe with him and were comfortable that we were in good hands. Both times we were with him it was Thanksgiving Day. So after spending Thanksgiving 2008 and 2009 with him I can say I am thankful for Mark, not only is he a great tour guide but I believe he is a good man who is enthusiastic and passionate about what he does.

You can not go wrong with Mark Morris!

Be Blessed!

I concur with the others and HIGHLY recommend Mark's Tours ! Mark Morris was professional, knowledgeable, and a GREAT tour guide :) We had so much fun (we did Dunn's River Falls and Tubing down the White River) and he went above and beyond the call of duty for our group to insure everyone had a nice time ... His bus was very clean and he made sure that we were taken care of the entire time we were on his tour. I would definitely use him again the next time we are in Jamaica !! Two thumbs up for Mark's Tours !!

Claywife

We also used Mark in October, 2009 for our tour of Ocho Rios. Just read the reviews and you can see that he is the best. Our tour was great and we felt very safe and he made sure we received special attention at Dunn's River Falls. His bus is very clean and he took an interest in each one of us. He is well spoken and it was a joy to book with Mark. You can check him out at www.markstours.com

We are 4 couples age 20--30--&40--&50's all 420friendly very discreet been to Jam/OR many times and just love OR/ Just like anywhere else use common sense and stay with a PRO guide like Mark Morris--We have used most of the guides onthis site in our last 6 trips to Ocho Rios.--They were all very good.

Our last trip we wanted a more native excursion as we have done all the tourist stuff--We wanted to do the Orange Hill region but it was to far --we wanted a Very High Quality--native experience--we felt the Bob Marley would be good but was a long ride and = was to commercial and so made up our own plan and Mark was a great help--If you have not please do-all the tourist stuff Dunns river/Magic Mountin But if you have done those venture out with Mark to see the real high quality native experience--iif you have been there before talk to mark about the more native tours he can do---

We contacted Mark Morris to set up a native type day. He was ontime in very clean and comfortable XLARGE Van--He worked within our time frames and budget and we saved BIG BUCK$$-We did a SUPER--private waterfall, Fern Gully, Lobster Daves, and Downtown shopping/straw Market etc.

We were 4 couples all 420 friendly-The Private waterfall experience was SUPER-Mark will keep you in safe areas, and keep the overly pushy away--A simple no thanks keeps most vendors away--He stayed with us and helped negotiate the prices at Lobster Daves from $30.00 down to $18.00 each great meal and great native setting. One of our party wanted a dive watch and Mark brought us downtown and he got teh Watch for under $200. at a downtown jewelry store ( from Marks Wife)-- ship Price same watch was $375,

We are going back in June and will do a similar native tour with Mark want to do Orange hill district--!!----If you use him be sure to bring him some Sensdyne Tootpaste he will remember your needs

Dave daymar97atcomcastdotnet for more info or questions on O. R. or Mark

I just got back from a cruise and we went to Ocho Rios. We booked with Marva Shaw from http://www.knowjamaica.com It was a great experience. Our group ranged from 22 to 56 and we all had a blast. We went to Dunn River Falls and the Rain Forest and shopping. They were with us guiding us every step of the way. We did the private tour and it was wonderful!

We also used Marva Shaw last week. She was there to meet us and introduced us to our guide Bambino. We went river tubing and then to Reggae Beach. We had an excellent day. The tubing was a lot of fun and the beach was very private. It was just the four of us and two other couples. Marva called towards the end of the day to make sure everything was good. Cost was $45 pp plus $10 entrance to the beach including chairs.

We also used Marva Shaw last week. She was there to meet us and introduced us to our guide Bambino. We went river tubing and then to Reggae Beach. We had an excellent day. The tubing was a lot of fun and the beach was very private. It was just the four of us and two other couples. Marva called towards the end of the day to make sure everything was good. Cost was $45 pp plus $10 entrance to the beach including chairs.

Good to know they have chairs at Reggae now. :) We used Marva too - just love her! Will definitely use her again.

Have to recommend Marva Shaw. We had a private tour with her employee, Peggy. She took us right to Dunns Falls so we were there before the crowds then off to a general tour of the island. She was great about giving us a lot of information about the people, places and language. Our kid's loved learning all of the Jamaican words. We had Jerk Chicken in a little neighborhood place and got to try Bread Fruit. It was a great day and the highlight of the cruise for our kid's - they both love Jamaica now and can't wait to go back.

Most people have only used one tour guide and have nothing to compare it to. The consensus is, you really cannot go wrong. Also most tour guides tend to be glorified transportation services, most do not accompany you while doing the DRF climb or zip line. Lastly, specifically to DRFs, most tour guides will get you there "before the crowds" as the big crowd is the cruise ship booked excrusion, but there's no guarantee as the guide may have to wait on multiple ships which may not be on time. I used Peat Taylor and overall was a good experience; if I could do it again I'd do it like this and here's why.

Off the ship, there is a taxi stand, govt taxis have red license plates, take a regular taxi directly to DRFs. This will ensure you're there first and they'll assign you a guide, once you've finished the falls, there will be at least a dozen govt taxis waiting for customers. Take it to mystic mountain, while most tour guide folks are now driving to DRFs, you're already done and ready to do Mystic Mountain most likely without any wait. You'll probably be done before 11am. You can then taxi it back to the ship for a "free" lunch or go to the shopping plazas. Just my $.02 :)

...if I could do it again I'd do it like this and here's why.

Off the ship, there is a taxi stand, govt taxis have red license plates, take a regular taxi directly to DRFs. This will ensure you're there first and they'll assign you a guide, once you've finished the falls, there will be at least a dozen govt taxis waiting for customers. Take it to mystic mountain, while most tour guide folks are now driving to DRFs, you're already done and ready to do Mystic Mountain most likely without any wait. You'll probably be done before 11am. You can then taxi it back to the ship for a "free" lunch or go to the shopping plazas. Just my $.02 :)

I think that's a great plan, especially for those interested in saving a few dollars; however, there is a lot to be said about the "friendship" you make with your guide. I doubt any taxi driver will e-mail me just to say hello, or give me a phone call to tell me that they are safe and sound after a hurricane hits their island. Marva has e-mailed me from time to time and even called me just to say hello (and to tell me that she was safe after Jamaica's hurricane hit). I'm not sure that she does this with everyone, but I know her customer service is outstanding.

Again, there are a lot of wonderful guides out there and, with most, you probably won't go wrong. Most aren't that much more expensive than hiring a cab and paying your own entrance fees, but you'll get the added perk of building that relationship during the tour. Personally, I'll take Marva for her wonderful personality and on-going friendship over hiring a stranger. Just my $.02. :)

(Just in case my "tone" doesn't come through... I'm not disagreeing with you, just adding that there are other benefits to hiring a tour guide.)

I think that's a great plan, especially for those interested in saving a few dollars; however, there is a lot to be said about the "friendship" you make with your guide. I doubt any taxi driver will e-mail me just to say hello, or give me a phone call to tell me that they are safe and sound after a hurricane hits their island. Marva has e-mailed me from time to time and even called me just to say hello (and to tell me that she was safe after Jamaica's hurricane hit). I'm not sure that she does this with everyone, but I know her customer service is outstanding.

Again, there are a lot of wonderful guides out there and, with most, you probably won't go wrong. Most aren't that much more expensive than hiring a cab and paying your own entrance fees, but you'll get the added perk of building that relationship during the tour. Personally, I'll take Marva for her wonderful personality and on-going friendship over hiring a stranger. Just my $.02. :)

(Just in case my "tone" doesn't come through... I'm not disagreeing with you, just adding that there are other benefits to hiring a tour guide.)

Very good post and point; it's great that Marva keeps in contact with you.

To add, Peat Taylor was actually cheaper than doing the taxi myself. I paid $50 (in Oct '09), $15 went to DFR and $20 for tubing for a grand total of $15 (and a tip) to Peat. I actually do not know how much the going rate is, but I assume it's triple the amount I paid Peat. The other thing to add, if someone is focused on doing specific things, eg DRF and zipline it makes less sense to have a guide. If you're doing a more tour of the island, than a guide makes more sense. :)

Archived