"Knock-Off purses" on Western Carib. Cruise

NKG6002

1. They are junk!

2. You are supporting criminals. They may be independent criminals but that's unlikely. More likely they have ties to the drug trade and/or terrorists.

3. Your daughter is taught that being a phony has your blessing!

Image is NOTHING!

Integrity is everything!

Get off your soap box Preacher Dan!

I think what people have posted here is knowledge on the subject. Knowledge about it that some people do not know. (no one can know everything)

Are you against knowledge?

For example, I think it would be a disservice to the OP not to let her know that the bag could be taken away from her in customs. I also think she should be told they are basically junk. What do you think?

No, I am not against knowlegde. If so, I wouldn't be a member here. Good point in stating that they may be swiped at customs. But the best way to be helpful (which is the point of all these posts), is to say, "You can get these bags at XYZ for XYZ price, (thus addressing the OP's question), and THEN mention on the side that they maybe taken at customs. (Which, unless they have multiple ones, I doubt would happen.) But not offering any help and just pointing out the OP's "bad judgement" is just being judgemental. The OP was asking for help on how to get them, not IF they should.

No, I am not against knowlegde. If so, I wouldn't be a member here. Good point in stating that they may be swiped at customs. But the best way to be helpful (which is the point of all these posts), is to say, "You can get these bags at XYZ for XYZ price, (thus addressing the OP's question), and THEN mention on the side that they maybe taken at customs. (Which, unless they have multiple ones, I doubt would happen.) But not offering any help and just pointing out the OP's "bad judgement" is just being judgemental. The OP was asking for help on how to get them, not IF they should.

So when someone asks, "How do I go about committing this CRIME?" We should just tell them without any comment? Do I understand you right?

So when someone asks, "How do I go about committing this CRIME?" We should just tell them without any comment? Do I understand you right?

Please re-read how I stated I felt sidebars on the OP's question should be handled.

I had a Prada bag that lasted me for eight years. I paid $3.00, plus sales tax, for it at a thrift shop. I have no idea if it was real, because I've never looked at the new ones. I suspect that it might have been fake, because the original owner could have sold it on Ebay rather than donating it to charity, if they knew it was real. I used to carry it with the little metal triangle against my body, because I don't like to have brands showing on my bag/clothes/shoes/whatever.

My granddaughter owns a Christian Dior bag, bought in Las Vegas a few years ago. It came with its own storage bag, and was very, very expensive. It is not holding up well at all, even though she has taken good care of it. She has taken it to a leather repair place twice to have stitching repaired. I suspect that it might have been a fake, although sold at a "genuine" price.

To me, there is a big difference between "knock off" and fake or counterfeit. You can buy knock off bags at Target and Penneys - they just don't have the label and the exact look. They are often just as durable as the real thing.

I agree with Belize -

my sister and her daughter each bought a "coach" when we were there over Thanksgiving. My niece got a really cute oversized one for $40 and my sister got a more traditional one for $40 as well. Both were marked $110. We got them in the port shops - it was the last shop furthest away from the pier. We went out and walked through the flee market and there was a door you could reenter from on the other side - we went in there and walked through some vendor booths and then into the "mall" part. There was a store called Last Chance - and that is where we bought them. There were a ton of shops along there with purses.

There were also no problems with customs.

Please re-read how I stated I felt sidebars on the OP's question should be handled.

I read,,,,,,,,,,,,,, skipping over the fact that it is a crime makes it not a crime?

Accept the fact that it is a crime and all other comments are superfluous.

Where to get, how to get, customs potential, quality, sweat shops, etc. are meaningless. ITS a CRIME, and SUPPORTS criminals! NOTHING else need be known, and nothing else SHOULD need to be said!

I read,,,,,,,,,,,,,, skipping over the fact that it is a crime makes it not a crime?

Accept the fact that it is a crime and all other comments are superfluous.

Where to get, how to get, customs potential, quality, sweat shops, etc. are meaningless. ITS a CRIME, and SUPPORTS criminals! NOTHING else need be known, and nothing else SHOULD need to be said!

If you just "blast" the OP for commiting a crime, you have not aided them. The purpose of CC is the exchange of cruise related infomation. The OP didnt ask if it was a crime. I would think that you have to be living under a rock to not know that. It was only pointed out as a negative aspect of their decison making, not to be helpful. I don't think you re-read my previous post very carefully.

$45 for a $400 handbag. If a female buys one and actually wears it off the ship, she has a better chance of getting struck by lightning while winning the lottery than she has of getting caught.

If you buy ten of them and list them on your customs form, that odds are against you. :)

I laughed at the customs comment also:D Now if someone is stupid enough to walk off the ship with several bags........that is what checked luggage is for;)

Victimless Crime

Many people think that purchasing fake handbags is fine. Breaking the law is justified with claims that sellers are just giving people what they want and besides the companies have plenty of money so they aren't really being hurt.

Yet it is in fact a crime. Buyers who purchase these bags are giving money to criminal organizations. Profits from the sale of these handbags can be traced to terrorist activity. Often the conditions under which workers produce these goods are inhumane.

An exquisitely designed handbag is like a work of art and should be cherished and enjoyed, as long as it is legal.

Who Gets the Money

Counterfeiting luxury goods is such a lucrative global racket that it is now run by crime syndicates that also deal in:

• Child prostitution
  • Human trafficking
  • Terrorism

Victimless Crime

Many people think that purchasing fake handbags is fine. Breaking the law is justified with claims that sellers are just giving people what they want and besides the companies have plenty of money so they aren't really being hurt.

Yet it is in fact a crime. Buyers who purchase these bags are giving money to criminal organizations. Profits from the sale of these handbags can be traced to terrorist activity. Often the conditions under which workers produce these goods are inhumane.

An exquisitely designed handbag is like a work of art and should be cherished and enjoyed' date=' as long as it is legal.

[b']Who Gets the Money[/b]

Counterfeiting luxury goods is such a lucrative global racket that it is now run by crime syndicates that also deal in:

• Child prostitution
  • Human trafficking
  • Terrorism

That came straight Coach, huh? lol. If one adheres to this logic, every time you buy gas you're supporting terrorism... :)

If you just "blast" the OP for commiting a crime, you have not aided them. The purpose of CC is the exchange of cruise related infomation. The OP didnt ask if it was a crime. I would think that you have to be living under a rock to not know that. It was only pointed out as a negative aspect of their decison making, not to be helpful. I don't think you re-read my previous post very carefully.

What part of, "Its a CRIME, Don't do it!" is causing you a problem?

I say who cares what others think....If thats what she wants....It doesnt matter who makes the dang thing. Cuz if she doesn't buy it someone else is....so whats the difference, its still happening...

That doesn't make it right! Like I tell my children, "if someone jumped off a building, woud you do it?" Supporting the criminals that make the fake items is just a bad as making it yourself. If you can't afford the real thing, buy whatever LEGITIMATE brand you can afford.

:eek: Wow, where are all these "don't do it, it's not right" post when someone starts a thread about smuggling liquor on board?????????

Bought a fake Movado watch in St Martin one year. Lasted about 10 days then the POS stopped working. Glad I only spent $10 on it. After that I decided I will never buy fake stuff again.

Bought a fake Movado watch in St Martin one year. Lasted about 10 days then the POS stopped working. Glad I only spent $10 on it. After that I decided I will never buy fake stuff again.

Did you shake it? Shaking them usually makes them start working again. ;)

:eek: Wow, where are all these "don't do it, it's not right" post when someone starts a thread about smuggling liquor on board?????????

That's different. You see, you're just breaking a ship's rule as opposed to a multitude of copyright and intellectual property laws.

Or ...

Morality is elastic.

Your choice. :D

That's different. You see, you're just breaking a ship's rule as opposed to a multitude of copyright and intellectual property laws.

Or ...

Morality is elastic.

I wasn't going to respond to this thread, I was just enjoying reading it, but that is priceless. Love it.

Or ...

Morality is elastic.

Cat's right.. plus the fakes look fake... I have a great article I will post later about the children that are forced to make these bags.

My suggestion would be to purchase a really nice no name leather bag for about the same money you would spend on a knockoff.. or buy the real thing...

:)

Archived