Fluffy girls by the pool

Just came upon this thread and coincidentally I was bathing suit shopping today (yes I am just getting 'over it' :D).

I have recently lost 35 lbs (and still need to lose at least another 25) so while I am not yet slim I am less 'fluffy' than I was before. Tried on my current suits today - one was 'disposed' of and 2 still here as 'backups' but certainly not as flattering as they could be.

Problem is finding the 'right' suit - I tried on at least a dozen today with no luck! Either the top was 'not supportive' enuf, or the bottoms were saggy, baggy, or too tight, etc. I tried not to get too upset, and will continue the search.

Yes my goal is to find a suit that looks good on me and that I AM COMFORTABLE IN - that is the most important factor - if I am pulling and tugging and covering up then I bought the wrong suit.

Hoping to have some luck over the holidays as I continue the 'search'!

I hate swimsuit shopping also. That is the "worst", and to be honest-even when I was much slimmer, I hated it! Being slim does NOT mean you have the perfect body. Even slim women have flaws.

Here is to hoping you find a suit that you love, feel comfortable wearing and is also attractive on you.

• 3 weeks later...
momofmeg;22389953]I hate swimsuit shopping also. That is the "worst", and to be honest-even when I was much slimmer, I hated it! Being slim does NOT mean you have the perfect body. Even slim women have flaws.

Here is to hoping you find a suit that you love, feel comfortable wearing and is also attractive on you.

Well after hunting all over the city and visiting a few of those 'specialty' shops (claiming they have all styles,all sizes, etc)....and after trying on a gazilion suits (okay it seemed like a lot)....I finally found and purchased 2 new bathing suits that I am very happy with. Found them in a ladies specialty bathing suit/lingerie shop - and yes they were kinda expensive but at this point I wasn't even looking at the price! :)

After trying on a ton of suits - and yes I was 'open minded' trying on all sorts of suits I was down to 4 'contenders' - one was very nice basick black, some shirring and underwire but at $150 I found it too expensive and I didn't LOVE it (for that price I figured I should really really love it!), another was really cute with these ruffles on the top (like a leopard/animal print) on basic black - also something I normally wouldn't even try on - but the ruffles hid a few 'flaws' but my concern was trying to wear a t-shirt or cover up over it - I already have enuf bumps and lumps don't need to look like I have any more of them! ;)

So the other 2 were tried on a few more times, with lots of opinions (from the lady in the adjoining change room who was now my friend - ya I was there like 2 hours - and was also trying on suits - altho she was a tiny size 8!) and the sales girl I finally made my purchase! YAY

This is one of them: http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/products.asp?product_id=104417&dept_id=101253 (boy that 'ruching' sure hides a lot of stuff :D)

The other (can't find a pic) is one of those 'looks like a tankini' but it isn't! Very cute also in blue/white/black silver print on top - straps/bottom dark navy with one of those adjustable elatics things at the hip which you can tighten/loosen (blouson) and pull higher or lower on your stomach as you wish!

Also got a black mini-dress coverup - very basic - loose/swingy from v-neck top with w/2 pockets on the front.....I think I am all set now!

And after losing 35 lbs (have a lot more to go) I figured it would be easy to find a suit that fits (turns out I have a small 'bum' go figure - and almost all suits would fit in the front, and when I turned around - big gaps at the bum!:eek:). Moral of the story is 1) take your time 2) try on things you normally wouldn't and 3) make sure it fits well enuf that you won't be pulling, tugging or 'adjusting' yourself all day long (yes in the dressing room I 'swam', sat down, leaned over ,etc to make sure everything stayed where it should!)[/b]

Oddly enough, I find that I am about as disatisfied with my body now as I was 40 years and 3 stone ago although I now have a lot more to be disastified about. I don't wear bikinis anymore, but I would defend anyone's right to do so, no matter what their shape.

I still try to look at good as I can, but in the end, no one owes me a constant vision of beauty and I don't owe that to anyone else.

The world is full of things to be offended by. I find garish decoration in public places unpleasant and I'm not very fond of the way smokers smell even when they are not smoking, but these pale before things that are really offensive like children's poverty and the injustice that flourishes in the world.

Can't we keep our indignation for the things that deserve them and leave other people's appearance alone?

I also find that, like the OP, a joyful person enjoying herself is attractive, no matter what her weight or how she is dressed. I think the world needs all the joy it can get.

Oddly enough, I find that I am about as disatisfied with my body now as I was 40 years and 3 stone ago although I now have a lot more to be disastified about. I don't wear bikinis anymore, but I would defend anyone's right to do so, no matter what their shape.

I still try to look at good as I can, but in the end, no one owes me a constant vision of beauty and I don't owe that to anyone else.

The world is full of things to be offended by. I find garish decoration in public places unpleasant and I'm not very fond of the way smokers smell even when they are not smoking, but these pale before things that are really offensive like children's poverty and the injustice that flourishes in the world.

Can't we keep our indignation for the things that deserve them and leave other people's appearance alone?

I also find that, like the OP, a joyful person enjoying herself is attractive, no matter what her weight or how she is dressed. I think the world needs all the joy it can get.

Totally agree! :)

Froufie, that suit is awesome. So glad you found one. It will make your waist look small. I want one too! I've heard salt water is hard on swimming suits, make sure you rinse it out if you go in the water.

Funny, I found this thread after spending the morning trying on my suits. Sigh. I'm not 20 any more.

Froufie, that suit is awesome. So glad you found one. It will make your waist look small. I want one too! I've heard salt water is hard on swimming suits, make sure you rinse it out if you go in the water.

Funny, I found this thread after spending the morning trying on my suits. Sigh. I'm not 20 any more.

Thanks - it really looks good and hides lots of 'flaws' - if you know what i mean!;) And the shop gave me a packet/sample of this special 'powder for washing bathing suits' - since as you know both chlorine and saltwater are hard on the suits and tend to break down the elasticity - the packet should last the week? and I will be rinsing out my suits in the bathroom sink once I am back on board - and hanging them to dry!

When I first saw this thread I wondered what you all meant by "fluffy" 'cos here in Europe it could be taken to mean ladies from certain countries who are not aware of , nor bothered by, the existence of razors, wax or lasers - if you see what I mean....

Now I know what you are talking about I think it's a lovely expression for those of us who are comfortably upholstered!

I really could not agree more. Yes, it's nice when people dress in attractive and flattering clothing. I do enjoy that, and I'll also admit to wondering "what were they thinking?" once in a while. But as long as someone is clean and has their naughty bits covered, I don't think they owe it to me to look any certain way, regardless of my preferences. I don't think anyone has a moral obligation to wear something flattering to their body. It's all a matter of opinion anyway.

Archived