Fluffy girls by the pool

We recently arrived home after a fantastic week on the Pearl. This was our first cruise and I noticed MANY body shapes and sizes while enjoying the sun. One gal in particular was "fluffy" (using this term as I have seen it many times on CC!),very fair skinned and wearing a two piece bathing suit. Girl, I have to say...YOU OWNED IT!!! The smile on your face while with your man (DH, DBF,?) was wonderful to see.

Fluffy ladies, please don't avoid the pool, lounge chairs, etc. because you don't look like the "perfection" society pushes on us. I am tall, slender, but have "dimpled" thighs. I was anxious about my physical appearance in my bathing suit before the cruise. That worry lasted all of 10 minutes, as I realized, I was wasting my time instead of ENJOYING my time. So "FLUFFY" gals, slap on the sunscreen, take off you cover-up and enjoy your pool time!

Everybody should enjoy the pool, no matter what size. You are right on that.

But how do you define "fluffy"? I'm sorry, but a woman who is severely, morbidly obese and wears a two piece is plain site like that is plain outright offensive. I am talking women the size of "Bridgette", from those old calendars..not a woman who is a little overweight, has dimpled thighs, etc.

You can wear a nice bathing suit that flatters your figure, no matter what size. I just can't imagine why a woman who is severely, morbidly obese would find a two piece bathing suit flattering on herself.

We recently arrived home after a fantastic week on the Pearl. This was our first cruise and I noticed MANY body shapes and sizes while enjoying the sun. One gal in particular was "fluffy" (using this term as I have seen it many times on CC!),very fair skinned and wearing a two piece bathing suit. Girl, I have to say...YOU OWNED IT!!! The smile on your face while with your man (DH, DBF,?) was wonderful to see.

Fluffy ladies, please don't avoid the pool, lounge chairs, etc. because you don't look like the "perfection" society pushes on us. I am tall, slender, but have "dimpled" thighs. I was anxious about my physical appearance in my bathing suit before the cruise. That worry lasted all of 10 minutes, as I realized, I was wasting my time instead of ENJOYING my time. So "FLUFFY" gals, slap on the sunscreen, take off you cover-up and enjoy your pool time!

I understand it to mean pleasantly plump, rubenesque.

I wear a sz 14. I consider myself a fluffy gal-but I am also an old gal with a c-section scar-so the only 2 pieces I wear are skirted tankinis-but a young woman my size in a bikini is fine-I do think though she would be stretching it to wear a string or thong bikini-but oh well-to each his own.

LOL!

I thought fluffy meant "plus size"

don't normally comment on this side of cc...but just had to let you know that where I come from "fluffy" involves flatulence.....not that your fluffy and mine are mutually exclusive

I agree with the original poster. If you wait till you lose it, you may lose the chance to ever enjoy life. Think of all the women who passed up the desert cart on the Titanic.

Live life today, there's no gaurentee for tomorrow.

I agree with the original poster. If you wait till you lose it, you may lose the chance to ever enjoy life. Think of all the women who passed up the desert cart on the Titanic.

Live life today, there's no gaurentee for tomorrow.

Your analogy has nothing to do with wearing bikinis-I have diabetes-so it is better I pass up the dessert cart-as it could shorten my life-not as quick as an accident or catastrophe would (as the Titanic was)-but then that was time and unforeseen occurrence-none of us can know about that. Another problem with your analogy-in that time period, people liked to be bigger as it showed they were wealthy-too many could not afford 3 squares a day-so nope-those gals would not be passing up the dessert cart.

A better analogy would be the gal who puts off her wedding until she is the perfect size-buy that plus sized gown and have your wedding, I say.

BTW, I do agree to you up to a point. There are many cute, attractive, youthful, plus sized swimsuits and clothing that show bigger gals off to their best advantage. I say, buy those, instead of those old grandma looking sacks trying to hide your weight. I have a young friend who is a 2x, but she still has an hour glass shape. She would wear these sacky dresses all the time,thinking she was hiding her weight. Then one day she wore a nice gored skirt with a knit longer sweater about 26 inches in length (long but not tunic length) You could see she had a nice proportioned shape, even if she is big. I could not help but think how much better she looked, she looked 50 pounds smaller.

I also agree with the OP. I have a medical condition that requires frequent use of corticosteroids resulting in weight gain and a messed up metabolism. I'm also a "senior" citizen with dimpled thighs and all the other things that go along with getting older. While I would never want to offend anyone, I will put on my bathing suit and enjoy my time by the pool. If you see someone at the pool who offends you just don't look. My "can't look at that" is a large man in a speedo. So I just don't look.

I read a joke in Reader's Digest many years that I am reminded of now.

Wife and hubby are on the beach. Wife is pregnant. A much younger woman walks by in her bikini and beautiful body. Wife looks unhappy. Hubby asks her, "What's wrong?"

She sighs and says, "I'll never look like that again."

Husband says reassuringly, "Don't worry, honey. Neither will she."

I still take comfort from this. :-)

Joan, age 54

Wife and hubby are on the beach. Wife is pregnant. A much younger woman walks by in her bikini and beautiful body. Wife looks unhappy. Hubby asks her, "What's wrong?"

Joan, age 54

That is classic!! Thanks for the smiles :D

###

• 2 weeks later...

Joan, age 54

I will be the pregnant wife on my Feb cruise! This makes me feel sooooo much better!!!

I live on the beach in South Carolina and from my observations through the years, the women who look the best on the beach are the ones who wear the bathing suit that suits their figure.

It has nothing to do with size.

The boycut shorts on the 5'10" skinny girl looks as bad as the string bikini on the obese as does the 1980s shorty shorts on the older gentleman.

Look in a mirror or ask my mother:D

I live on the beach in South Carolina and from my observations through the years, the women who look the best on the beach are the ones who wear the bathing suit that suits their figure.

It has nothing to do with size.

The boycut shorts on the 5'10" skinny girl looks as bad as the string bikini on the obese as does the 1980s shorty shorts on the older gentleman.

Look in a mirror or ask my mother:D

Well now I'm curious, what's wrong with boycut shorts on a skinny girl? Do you mean this type of thing?

purple.jpg

Ladies,

If your comfortable and confident in it it's the right suit for you!!

As the husband of a plus size beauty please stop wasting time asking what others will think of you in an outfit, you look beautiful ,if you believe you look beautiful -

And lay off any complaints about those gals who do have the self-confidence to wear what they chose. You may not like what you see, I might not like what I see sometimes , but she likes what she see's.

As a father I believe one of my biggest roles is to teach my daughter that her own opinion of herself as a person is exponentially more important than what others think.

Take a look at this site : http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/

now lets go grab a deck chair and cocktail and enjoy life....

Ladies,

If your comfortable and confident in it it's the right suit for you!!

As the husband of a plus size beauty please stop wasting time asking what others will think of you in an outfit, you look beautiful ,if you believe you look beautiful -

And lay off any complaints about those gals who do have the self-confidence to wear what they chose. You may not like what you see, I might not like what I see sometimes , but she likes what she see's.

As a father I believe one of my biggest roles is to teach my daughter that her own opinion of herself as a person is exponentially more important than what others think.

Take a look at this site : http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/

now lets go grab a deck chair and cocktail and enjoy life....

You know, I don't see it as a confidence thing. Why not make yourself look as attractive as you can. I certainly don't advocate not going to the pool and never wearing a suit because you are a big gal, OR wearing those frumpy "grand ma" suits, yes,that IS a lack of confidence. But, why not pick a suit that makes you the most attractive? If one suit makes you appear slimmer and another makes you look even bigger, why NOT pick the suit that is more attractive on you?

I also agree about the boy shorts. My daughter is tiny a size 0, but she is also hippy, and I can guarantee you, those boy shorts did her no favors. She looked very bottom heavy in them. She had it in her head that because she is hippy, that those shorts covered this flaw, instead of actually emphasizing it. I felt it is actually a lack of self confidence that made her pick these. I convinced her to try on a pair of bottoms that had french cut legs, (she did it to "shut me up") but when she saw herself in the mirror and realized that this style actually minimized her hips, from then on she wanted no more boy leg bottoms.

I agree Momofmeg , Pick the suit you think is most attractive on yourself - What I am trying to say is that the only person opinion who counts is the person who is wearing the suit.

I for one am all for looking at attractive women in bathing suits :D.

My opinion is that if a woman is comfortable in her choice then its right for her. Trust me, If while viewing my surroundings I find someone who does not meet my fancy my eyes will tend to continue on. Has that women made a bad choice for the day, who am I to say.

I guess what I'd love to see is every women look in the mirror and say to themselves " I like that " instead of " I wonder what everyone will think of this?" ( not exclusive to swimwear discussions btw)

I have respect for the "fluffy" lady across the pool in the two piece string bikini if she's happy with it - I just won't look over there again, nor comment on it ...

Just came upon this thread and coincidentally I was bathing suit shopping today (yes I am just getting 'over it' :D).

I have recently lost 35 lbs (and still need to lose at least another 25) so while I am not yet slim I am less 'fluffy' than I was before. Tried on my current suits today - one was 'disposed' of and 2 still here as 'backups' but certainly not as flattering as they could be.

Problem is finding the 'right' suit - I tried on at least a dozen today with no luck! Either the top was 'not supportive' enuf, or the bottoms were saggy, baggy, or too tight, etc. I tried not to get too upset, and will continue the search.

Yes my goal is to find a suit that looks good on me and that I AM COMFORTABLE IN - that is the most important factor - if I am pulling and tugging and covering up then I bought the wrong suit.

Hoping to have some luck over the holidays as I continue the 'search'!

I think the term "fluffy" comes from a poster/cross-stitch pattern/mug that shows a sheep and has the saying "Ewe's not fat Ewe's fluffy". I made this back in the 1980's for my MIL -- way before CC or even the internet.:D

I agree with OP who says "just don't look". Don't try to understand how people spend their money, raise their kids or sit by the pool. It can not be explained.

Archived