Formal Evening!

bela47911

It's been our experience that those that expouse the notion that "it's my cruise, I paid for it and I can do anything I want to" are, in fact, the ones who ignore the dress code, allow their unruly children to run wild on the ship, put a towel on a pool-side chair and come back four hours later and invite twenty of their friends to share some cocktails in their cabin at two in the morning.

These types of people belong on Carnival, not Celebrity.

Nice stereotyping there. How about someone who is a seminary student and former pastor, has three kids who while not perfect (no one is) are certainly more well behaved and mannered than 95% of the other children out there, also hates chair hogs and will move their stuff, never has more than 2 drinks, and thus certainly isn't a drunken "party on" type of cruiser ... and yet despises suits and won't wear one unless there are no alternatives? The next suit I wear (and thus will have to buy), will be the next wedding or funeral I find myself performing.

Try painting with less of a broad brush. Many very wealthy, very mannered, very bright, intelligent, well spoken, and wonderful people just happen to enjoy a little casual comfort.

Try painting with less of a broad brush. Many very wealthy, very mannered, very bright, intelligent, well spoken, and wonderful people just happen to enjoy a little casual comfort.

Just as you want your cruise very casual, I want mine with all the glitz and glitter of formal night in a formal setting with FORMAL clothes. I really resent it when some slub shows up on FORMAL night on a ship that has FORMAL requirements in a shirt and tie (or even less). Talk about dissing the cruise line and the other passengers.

We can all agree that everyone should hve the cruise they want. There are casual cruises (Carnival/NCL, etc.), formal cruises (HAL/Celebrity/Cunard, etc.) and those that meet in the middle (country club casual-Oceania, Regent, etc).

Why would you pick a cruise that is totally against your lifestyle and wishes??? Not only do you not get the cruise you want (casual) but you irritate the heck out of quite a few of us that LIKE formal nights with FORMAL dress. What's up with that??? Such in the face attitudes from those that should know better.

Why would you pick a cruise that is totally against your lifestyle and wishes??? Not only do you not get the cruise you want (casual) but you irritate the heck out of quite a few of us that LIKE formal nights with FORMAL dress. What's up with that??? Such in the face attitudes from those that should know better.

I don't cruise lines like Celebrity for that reason, I've allready stated that. I cruise Carnival, Princess, RCI ... I wouldn't mind trying Oceania or some others as well.

My point is that many people put fourth the idea that if a man doesn't like wearing a suit or tux he is somehow a classless, uncouth barbarian and probably has heathen children. That is utter BS. Some of us just prefer a casual setting.

I have no problem with the person who wants a formal cruise and cruises a formal line for that. I have a problem with:

1. People who stereotype those with casual preferences as I adressed above and ...

2. Those who cruise the casual lines and then whine and complain about anyone not dressed in a suit. If they want a formal cruise they can choose a formal cruiseline.

I'll trade you a tie for pantyhose and high heels.

That's your choice to wear pantyhose & heels. My wife gets by without that extra stuff all the time. She simply throws on a pair of black slacks & a fancy top & calls it casual or formal. Works for any night.

It sounds as though you enjoy the dressy part & should continue doing so. :rolleyes:

I don't cruise lines like Celebrity for that reason, I've allready stated that. I cruise Carnival, Princess, RCI ... I wouldn't mind trying Oceania or some others as well.

My point is that many people put fourth the idea that if a man doesn't like wearing a suit or tux he is somehow a classless, uncouth barbarian and probably has heathen children. That is utter BS. Some of us just prefer a casual setting.

I have no problem with the person who wants a formal cruise and cruises a formal line for that. I have a problem with:

1. People who stereotype those with casual preferences as I adressed above and ...

2. Those who cruise the casual lines and then whine and complain about anyone not dressed in a suit. If they want a formal cruise they can choose a formal cruiseline.

You just made everyone's point about being a slub. Princess has a VERY specific dress code for their cruises, but from your own writing, you choose to ignore them and do what YOU feel like doing. What about all those who PAID and chose a specifc cruise to have a formal experience??? We are just supposed to let those who choose to diss the other passengers and the cruise line SLIDE????

IF you don't want to wear a suit/tux, fine. BUT PLEASE cruise on lines that do not have FORMAL rules for FORMAL night. I see NOTHING in Princess' rules about shirts and ties being acceptable attire for formal night. From Princess website:

For formal evenings, men wear tuxedos, dark suits or dinner jackets, and women wear evening gowns, cocktail dresses or elegant pant suits.

HA! You don't think women often squeeze themselves into something to pull in/push up areas of their bodies. :D :D A "tie during warm weather" is a day off for alot of us! (Our choice of course.)

As is yours to dress casually. I'm not arguing your right to dress as you want. Just trying to find out if I missed any reasons for the "I will never put on a tie for formal night" rationale. Yours fit in the "I won't conform, no matter what the guidelines say" reason and the ubiquitous " I wore them everyday for work, so now I'm done with them" category. Nothing new. dang

Funny my DH wears a business suit and tie to work everyday. And altho enjoys his t-shirts and polo shirts on weekends, always dresses in at least a sports jacket and tie for dinner at a nice restaurant with me. His choice.

P.S. It's not the tie that is uncomfortable..unless you are trying to cut off air with it. ( When I was much younger I waitressed at a formal restaurant that required all servers to wear a white shirt and men's black tie. ) Maybe if you buy a larger neck size shirt the "look" would be would be more comfortable;)

Happy cruising!

I'm not making any excuses for not dressing formal it's just that I just don't care to dress to the formal standards & wear my golf shirt which fits very nicely. I bother no one, eat my dinner & go to the show.

As far as cruising on Carnival or NCL, no thanks.

That's your choice to wear pantyhose & heels. My wife gets by without that extra stuff all the time. She simply throws on a pair of black slacks & a fancy top & calls it casual or formal. Works for any night.

It sounds as though you enjoy the dressy part & should continue doing so. :rolleyes:

oh nooooooo, not me! Just responding to the "I hate ties" deal - hose and heels are the female equivalent (imo, since corsets are gone). I am far from being A Girlie Girl. I Just Say No to pantyhose! (on the occasions that really do call for them, you will find me making a special trip to the drug store to buy them for one wearing)

I haven't worn heels in more years than I can count as they aggravate my sciatica (sp?) I have a pair of low sandals that I wear for weddings and funerals with my "all purpose dress" (that hopefully will last many more years). I take a cheap wrinkle-proof basic black cocktail dress for formal nights with those sandals and a few accessories. That is my one "something nice" that was bought especially for travel.

My profession does not require more than Dockers + Polo, and I can wear colored jeans (some weird bias here against Blue Jeans but I've been able to wear those on other jobs). I'm lucky that I've not had to throw on the interview suit in a while - I have 2 great pantsuits for interviewing and one that is a skirt-suit.

I'm a tshirt and jeans kinda person, but can clean up nicely. when I want to. I'll go to some effort for Formal Night, but "gown" is not something that will ever be in my closet.

You won't find me booking a formal line. I don't see myself wanting to dress up more as I age. But I likely wouldn't be booking on the Sweat Pants line, either ; )

So we should be forced to be uncomfortable and unhappy on our vacation that we paid for, so that YOU can have your feelings about the "ambiance"?

Now admitedly, for those reasons I would never cruise a line like Celebrity. I will stick to the more casual lines. Now I don't go into the MDR in tshirts or anything like that. On non formal nights I wear either nice jeans with a dress shirt, or khaki's with a polo. On formal nights it's dress slacks/dress shirt and usually a tie. But I will stick to the lines where that level of dress is acceptable thank you very much.

Why people worry about what OTHER people are wearing is completely beyond me ...

Ahem, I pay for MY vacation too. The OP asked if it's OK to attend a formal night on Celebrity without at least a jacked and tie and the answer is probably No, unless you want to stand out like a sore thumb which is probably even more "uncomfortable" than wearing the jacket in the first place.

The cruises I've been on, the women dress to the hilt...and I do mean "TO THE HILT"....I sometimes wonder how they even got those fancy dresses on the ship. I once took a couple of dresses for two formal nights. One was a cream colored that was longer, but not so fancy. I was so embarassed because others were dressed VERY formally, that I went back to change into the long black one....and wore that one the other formal night, too.

So, I'd say, break down and buy that jacket of some sort to wear with the shirt and tie....and have him wear pants, too....lol.

It's been our experience that those that expouse the notion that "it's my cruise, I paid for it and I can do anything I want to" are, in fact, the ones who ignore the dress code, allow their unruly children to run wild on the ship, put a towel on a pool-side chair and come back four hours later and invite twenty of their friends to share some cocktails in their cabin at two in the morning.

These types of people belong on Carnival, not Celebrity.

They don't belong on Carnival either. I don't understand people who take a vacation that they are going to complain about. Everyone knows ahead of time that there are "formal" nights and that dress in the MDR is smart/country club casual the rest of the nights. Why not just take a vacation where you don't have do that at all? I'm not trying to be mean, I really don't get it?

They don't belong on Carnival either. I don't understand people who take a vacation that they are going to complain about. Everyone knows ahead of time that there are "formal" nights and that dress in the MDR is smart/country club casual the rest of the nights. Why not just take a vacation where you don't have do that at all? I'm not trying to be mean, I really don't get it?

guessing: I think people have a certain vision of their trip when they book it and are determined to adhere to the vision, ignoring information and forces contrary to it.

I think with cruising, specifically, the general public doesn't necessarily understand the differences in the atmosphere the line is trying to create. Many people do not bother to seek out the information.

Or, on these boards, find the info but still choose to realize their vision.

Ideally, everyone that wants to cruise will do the homework to find the right fit for their vacation style. I think if I had a higher income I might select a more expensive cruise line if it had the itinerary I wanted, but I'm one that likes to be anonymous so would try very hard to adhere to dress codes. I'm not a country club girl, but it might be fun to play like one for a week.

But, I will stick to mainstream into the foreseeable future because it fits my wallet and style.

Hi Bela,

I went down to one of our church's consignment shop and got a very spiffy tuxedo, trousers, dress shirt for $12 and a blue blazer with gold buttons for $6.

Not such a terrible thing to get dressed up once. :)

To me it's a matter of price #1, ship line #2 and itinerary #3 and although I don't care to conform to the dress as others do I do dress nicely enough to get by (smart casual). I think there's more complaining by those that do dress formally than those that don't and it doesn't bother me in the slightest if people do care to dress formally on any night.

To me it's a matter of price #1, ship line #2 and itinerary #3 and although I don't care to conform to the dress as others do I do dress nicely enough to get by (smart casual). I think there's more complaining by those that do dress formally than those that don't and it doesn't bother me in the slightest if people do care to dress formally on any night.

So AGAIN you are telling those that booked and PAID for a specific cruise that has formal nights and thoroughly planned to enjoy the formal ambiance to P*** off. Of course, it's YOUR vacation, you will do as you d*** well choose. To heck with any one else's wishes. Talk about being a slub and dissing both the cruise line and other passengers!!!

So our cruise has one formal evening, how important is it that hubby wears a suit? He does not have a suit jacket and seems like a big waste of money to buy one for one day on a cruise. Is he okay with dress pants an a shirt and tie? I want to go back and say we are on vacation, who wants to wear a suit on vacation;)

Am I correct that you are cruising on Celebrity?

If so the recommended dress code for formal nights for men is either a tuxedo, a formal dinner jacket, or a dark suit, not a sports jacket.

Keith

So AGAIN you are telling those that booked and PAID for a specific cruise that has formal nights and thoroughly planned to enjoy the formal ambiance to P*** off. Of course, it's YOUR vacation, you will do as you d*** well choose. To heck with any one else's wishes. Talk about being a slub and dissing both the cruise line and other passengers!!!

No not at all. They should dress a formally as they choose to & enjoy the cruise. They have every right to dress as as formally as they please. It's just that I won't be conforming to their idea of what they feel is formal.

I can't see why that would be upsetting to anyone as long as my attire is neat & clean.

No not at all. They should dress a formally as they choose to & enjoy the cruise. They have every right to dress as as formally as they please. It's just that I won't be conforming to their idea of what they feel is formal.

I can't see why that would be upsetting to anyone as long as my attire is neat & clean.

So if I understand your words correctly, you would say your idea of FORMAL is a polo shirt and dockers? If I'm mistaken about that, please give us your definition of FORMAL.

They should dress a formally as they choose to & enjoy the cruise. They have every right to dress as as formally as they please.

Another SLUB answer. So it is OK with you that DH and I dress formally per the cruise line requirements/marketing promos but YOU can disregard your fellow passengers and the cruise line wishes??? Gee, thanks for ALLOWING those that SPECIFICALLY book a formal cruise to dress formally.

Nothing worse than sitting at a formal dinner table or attending a formal party and having some SLUB show up in a polo shirt. RUINS the ambiance others cherish. Why even bother with the polo and dress pants? Might as well show up in a T-shirt and jeans. The same thing. Disrespect of the host's wishes-in this case, the cruise line being the host.

The discussion is about Celebrity, not Carnival, NCL or RCCL. Please don't cruise on Celebrity and make a fool of yourself and make the rest of us uncomfortable. Or maybe you are the BIG TIME CEO guy who THOUGHT he could get away with $300 jeans, a $2000 leather jacket and an expensive polo on Cunard in Princess Grill. He was promptly told he and his entire party had to go change. Thank goodness, we never saw them the rest of the week.

So if I understand your words correctly, you would say your idea of FORMAL is a polo shirt and dockers? If I'm mistaken about that, please give us your definition of FORMAL.

Someone posted on one of these formal threads that on formal night, please dress to code because everyone else was his backdrop. This has always made sense to me. My wife, two daughters and myself love to dress formally, have our pictures taken including at our table with the beautiful dining room setting and the formal wait staff all dressed up. I really don't want to have those memories in our pictures with a guy in dress pants and a polo shirt in the background at the next table.

We cruise Celebrity and Princess because they do have a much more enforced dress code than the other mass lines. The formality is something we don't get to have in our normal lives and it creates a very special memory for us. If you don't feel the same way and want to stay resort casual, please cruise on a different line or eat in the buffet on formal nights. Thanks.

Someone posted on one of these formal threads that on formal night, please dress to code because everyone else was his backdrop. This has always made sense to me. My wife, two daughters and myself love to dress formally, have our pictures taken including at our table with the beautiful dining room setting and the formal wait staff all dressed up. I really don't want to have those memories in our pictures with a guy in dress pants and a polo shirt in the background at the next table.

We cruise Celebrity and Princess because they do have a much more enforced dress code than the other mass lines. The formality is something we don't get to have in our normal lives and it creates a very special memory for us. If you don't feel the same way and want to stay resort casual, please cruise on a different line or eat in the buffet on formal nights. Thanks.

Sorry if it disturbs your evening but Princess is our choice most of the time & since they allow me do dress as I choose I will continue to do so. (and not at the buffet) Their dress code only "suggests" on how to dress & doesn't actually require mandatory clothing.

My dressing down certainty doesn't mean that you can't dress up and takes nothing away from anyone's enjoyment.

While I think most here know that we do follow the requested dress, the reasoning above really annoys me. I am not anyone's "backdrop," thank you very much. It's awfully self-important to tell everyone to dress formally because they are going to be the scenery in someone's little theater. Sounds to me like this person believes that dressing formally is play acting for his fantasy. We do not dress appropriately so that others can use us to fulfill their visions of their own world. We do so because it's the right thing to do. The reasoning above really grates on me.

beachchick

On so-called formal nights, I choose to wear a jacket and tie, but it is my choice. Folks should worry only about what they are wearing and spend less time concerning themselves about what others choose to wear. I am no more impacted by what someone chooses to wear in the MDR than I am about what they choose from the menu.

On so-called formal nights, I choose to wear a jacket and tie, but it is my choice. Folks should worry only about what they are wearing and spend less time concerning themselves about what others choose to wear. I am no more impacted by what someone chooses to wear in the MDR than I am about what they choose from the menu.

Sorry I do not get it.

I never follow this logic.

So, if everyone chooses to come in blue jeans that is fine because they can choose to dress as they want. And you really do not think that would take away from the enjoyment of the evening.

I sit here wondering then why do people get dressed up even today to go to Proms in formal gowns and tuxedoes and why do people get dressed up to attend weddings.

IMHO it's all about respect of ones self and others. If I am asked to dress in formal attire such as a suit then I comply because how everyone dresses does add to the overall enjoyment for the majority of people.

There is this thing called ambience. Whether that inolves flowers on the table, table cloths or how people dress.

It's not all about "me". It's all about all of us.

Keith

Archived