«Captain your own boat» excursion

La Cambuse

I felt as though we had been hijacked - we felt unsafe the whole time. Plus I only saw 3 animals

This is an excursion where we have the opportunity to drive our own 40 HP rib into the mangrove and part of the rainforest on a small river. Chances are to encounter crocodiles, spider monkeys, manatees and a variety of wild birds.

Visit their website for more informations.

http://www.coralbreezetours.com/current_category.15/Product.152/tours_add.html?t_product=152

We are a couple interested in this excursion. There is a need to be at least 4 to held the excursion. If anyone interrested, please let me know.

We will be in Belize on Feb 10th 2010. Liberty of the seas.;)

By the way, is there anyone that lived this adventure before?:o

Kat & Erd....To come on and post that you felt hijacked and unsafe the whole time without any type of details or reasoning on why you felt this way is very unhelpful to someone looking for information on an excursion.

You have to understand that this is only your 3rd overall post and you have not made any other comments on your entire cruise. Did you feel this way because it was your first cruise and time out of the U.S. and the cultural differences made you feel this way? or did something actually happen ? I am assuming that nothing happened or you would have posted that to me.

I am guessing if you don't come back with any details that you felt uncomfortable in this surrounding for no particular reason. I enjoy seeing how others lived and just took a trip to China with my husband and were often the only Americans around and don't speak Chinese at all. Different cultures don't make me nervous................

I appreciate your comment kat&erd and am truly sorry you felt so uneasy. That will certainly ruin your day in port :( . I understand that each has their own comfort level when in a strange place or different country but to be fair, we've got plenty of locations right here in the good old USA that would make my hair stand up! I sence that you would probably be nervous doing MOST of the excursions that we've experienced (and loved) and thats OK...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We just returned from sailing on the Valor.

We did the "Capt your own boat" tour.

It was very fun. We felt very SAFE! (Not sure what kat&erd is talking about.)

We also saw plenty of animals including crocs, iguanas and monkeys.

The best part was bombing through the mangoves at full speed.

We had no issues with the boats. They all seemed to be in good running order.

The guides were fun and informative.

Take sunscreen.

• 6 months later...

Really good timing on this thread. I've been going back and forth about what to do in Belize and this sounds right up my alley. If I end up doing this (Thanksgiving trip on the Legend), I'll come back and give my review.

I ended up cancelling the excursion....we took a vote and seeing the kids were blah about doing it...I decided why chance it.....We had also booked a cruise for this February on the Valor going to Belize again so I figured if I saw a lot more positive reviews on it I would reschedule it for this year. I have to be honest with you....I ended up booking a cavetubing excursion instead. I really felt that I had heard too many reviews about issues with the boats and I would be miserable if we ended up in the passenger boat or if our boat broke down :D Good luck if you go...it sounds like a great adventure!

We've got a cruise booked Oct. 24 and have Captain Your Own Boat booked.

I'll let you know what it's like.

In the meantime, anyone been on this lately?:confused:

:)

We will also be on the Oct. 24 sailing{legend], you didn't say which ship, and we are thinking about booking this tour. I'm trying to decide between the snorkling tour or the Captain your boat tour.

We also did this tour on a prior sailing (The Carnival Legend) and had a really bad experience like the previous poster who started this thread. They were late picking us up; the boats weren't what they were advertised; most of the boats had mechanical problems and/or ran out of gas - you name it, it happened. We tried to make the best of the day, but it was extremely frustrating that so much went wrong. There were about 16 people on the tour and every single boat had a problem. They finally ran out of room in the lead boat to put passengers who had boat trouble, so they had to tow the boats that ran out of gas. We ended up not ever getting to see where the manatees were. We saw 1 alligator and some birds along the way and that ws it for wildlife. It obviously just wasn't our day! When we got back to the dock - we didn't leave until we got our money back from the owner of the tour boats. I'm not sure why some people have been lucky to have a great excursion and others haven't but I just wanted to verify that the gentleman that started this post wasn't exaggerating with his experience. My family and I are pretty easy to get along with and usually "roll with the punches" but this was the worse excursion experience we had ever had.

We took this tour October 19th and had a blast! Boats weren't in the best condition but I can see why. I hit several logs and debris due to my limited experience in driving a boat. It was safe and I saw a "non-tourist" side of Belize. Would recommend to anyone but don't expect a shiny new boat.

We had this excursion booked, but unfortunately Belize had just gone through Hurricane Richard the day before. We arrived at the pier and were told the tour was cancelled.:( OK, after a few minutes our contact came running after us and asked if we would consider the excursion with just the main boat, for a greatly reduced price. My dh was a good hagler and we got it for $60 total (for both of us).

Another couple showed up and it was the four of us, James our guide and the Captain(do not recall his name).

The river was filled with debris and large tree limbs, but we weaved back and forth, avoiding most of them and made our way down the muddy river, seeing howler monkeys, iguanas, crocs (no sloths though). We stoped for a rest room break and played with a baby monkey that had fallen in the river and been adopted by a human mommy.

We had a very enjoyable time. I think we made lemonade out of lemons.

:)

Archived