Getting off the BOS in Barcelona in time

We're contemplating a 1045 flight out of Barcelona at the end of a Brilliance of the Seas cruise in June/July. The ship is scheduled to dock at 6 am. Does anyone know the timing complications in Barcelona, if there are any? Will we be playing beat the clock, or is this doable? Thanks...

We're contemplating a 1045 flight out of Barcelona at the end of a Brilliance of the Seas cruise in June/July. The ship is scheduled to dock at 6 am. Does anyone know the timing complications in Barcelona, if there are any? Will we be playing beat the clock, or is this doable? Thanks...

We have disembarked off the Brilliance twice here. If I were you, I would definitely stay an extra night in Barcelona if you can. Just because you never know what type of delays could come about and if you aren't booked with the cruise line air (which we never do) then you will be on your own.

Another thing to consider is nobody should take the time on your documents as the time they will start unloading passengers. That is not correct. That is when the ship is supposed to dock. You have to wait until the ship clears local customs, and also everything is unloaded. It could be awhile even for the "self disembark" group.

That said... if everything goes perfectly, you can choose the self disembark, take your luggage off with you and there will be plenty of taxis standing by. There is no need for a car service. The airport is not that far away but probably about 20-30 minutes.

I would personally not chance this... if you waited an extra day, the airport is SO much nicer. You won't have all 2200 on the ship checking in with you and you won't be stressed if things are running behind schedule. But... that is just me. We always come in a day early (at least) and leave a day later.

We did the Med cruise in June of this year and had a 10:45 flight. Had no problem at all making the flight. We didn't do the early departure from the ship (although we were in one of the first groups) and we got to the airport about 2.5 hours before the flight.

That being said, there are a lot of things that could go wrong, including long lines, delayed departure from the ship, etc., so if you are risk adverse you might want to spend the night and fly out the following day.

Hope this helps.

That being said, there are a lot of things that could go wrong, including long lines, delayed departure from the ship, etc., so if you are risk adverse you might want to spend the night and fly out the following day.

Hope this helps.

We are not risk averse, really, but I don't think we're interested in staying an extra day. What we absolutely do not want to do is spend the entire day in the airport waiting for a late flight. I think that a planned 6 am docking, even with delays for customs, etc., we should be able to get to the airport. Worst case scenario, we'll wait for a later flight and get home eventually.

We are not risk averse, really, but I don't think we're interested in staying an extra day. What we absolutely do not want to do is spend the entire day in the airport waiting for a late flight. I think that a planned 6 am docking, even with delays for customs, etc., we should be able to get to the airport. Worst case scenario, we'll wait for a later flight and get home eventually.

Barcelona is an AWESOME departure port. The city is amazing and so easy to do on your own. If you have been there before I understand wanting to get home, but if not... you would be missing a fantastic city.

Of course if you are OK with all the "worst case scenarios" it doesn't look like any of this is a problem for you.

For what it's worth, we were told by the cruiseline that it was OK (doable) to book a flight after 10 am from Barcelona. We did make our 10:30 flight using the ship's transport. The airport is a zoo, however, so just be sure to get there as early as you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Brilliance in Barcelona our flight was 10.30 and easily made it. Left the ship at 7.am.

Taxi to the airport 30-38 euros, plenty at dock side.

The ship was charging $ 30 each To the airport.

One word of advice this is a large airport so make sure you know the terminal (A,B,or C)and Zone.

When you find out your departure gate ask how long to walk there as M5 can take 15 minutes.

Hope it helps

G

Usually you should not have a problem making that flight, however ask people that were on the cruises when the fishermen(?) went on strike and blocked the port, or when BOS was delayed due to weather. There´s all kind of stuff that can happen, while it won´t in 99%. As you seem to be fine with the worst case scenario go ahead, chances are not bad to make it, but be prepared for the worst.

Archived