Seadream I, New Year's voyage

Zimmy

OK, 20 days and counting, and I don't think I can wait. I'm sitting here in my office doing tax planning for my clients, and I want to be done. I want to be on a Bali bed right now. It is snowing in Chicago, with more projected for tomorrow. I am so glad that we are flying into SJ two days early. My paranoia is kicking in, and I'm thinking is two days enough? What if we have a major blizzard? DH & I missed a cruise about 10 years ago because of a blizzard, where the airport was closed for two days. I've never gotten over it, thus the paranoia.

Who else is on this voyage? I know that Carlyle Cat is, but no one else has spoken up. I suspect that the voyage is almost full, based upon the fact that the price has gone way up. Where is everybody? Is it possible that they're not as excited as I am? I don't see how.

I am heading to Chicago tomorrow for a client visit, please hold off on that snowstorm for me...

I am sure the trip is full Zimmy...we tried to get an extra cabin two weeks ago and no can do, they had one on SD2 but that wasn't really going to do it

You did not pick a very good day to come to Chicago, Carlylecat. But at least it doesn't look like a real blizzard is coming our way, compared to what is going on west of us. Of course, it is all relative. DH got caught in the "blizzard" in Houston last week, and was delayed hours.

What is New Year's Eve like on Seadream? Not that every night isn't special, but do they do anything special that evening?

Yes it should be a very special night on SD.

1st of all the company is amazing.....not the other guests but the other yachts that come to St Bart's for New Year's.

You will see Paul Allen's 414' Octopus, Larry Ellison's 452' Rising Sun - SD is only 344 feet so they are incredibly impressive. And seeing the mirror images of SD1 and SD2 anchored together is equally impressive.

Each of these boats do something amazing on New Year's Eve - last year Rising Sun did a laser light show just in advance of the midnight fireworks from the Harbor while Octopus replicated each firework in the harbor from a barge they placed about 500 yards from her aft.

The fireworks show is the highlight of the night and to get ready for it dinner is the most formal of the cruise as everyone is asked to dine downstairs in the formal dining room and a special even more over the top than usual multi-course meal is served.

While we are at dinner The TOY bar is given a complete makeover and is decorated by the crew. Balloons, streamers and lights turn it into the topside disco and we have noisemakers and party hats awaiting us as we drink, dance and sing until midnight when all of the huge yachts blow their horns, turn water displays on up into the air and the fireworks start over Gustavia Harbor!

It is really quite a site and for the past three years we have enjoyed it so much we have decided to come back on the spot!

I think you will enjoy it.

Carlylecat, thank you for the description. It sounds amazing, and makes me even more anxious to sail right now! But I have to plan my wardrobe - do the passengers dress more formally than usual? DH usually brings a sportcoat to wear when we dine inside, but that's the extent of our "formal wear."

Cammien, the tax planning helps pay for the cruise, so how can I knock it?

Going back over pictures from last NYE on St Barts and while no one was in ball gowns but many more cocktail length dresses than suits for woman, guys had polo or linen shirts and slacks with a sport jacket that never made it upstairs..everyone looked good though, even the twenty year olds... and there was plenty of sparkle/bling....

Going back over pictures from last NYE on St Barts and while no one was in ball gowns but many more cocktail length dresses than suits for woman, guys had polo or linen shirts and slacks with a sport jacket that never made it upstairs..everyone looked good though, even the twenty year olds... and there was plenty of sparkle/bling....

Thanks, Carlylecat. So the women get to sparkle and the men get to stay somewhat casual. That way everyone is happy! What could be more perfect?

Zimmy

I made it to Chicago today...how do you live here, the snow is unreal!!!!

Believe me, there are times when we ask ourselves that question. But the answer, I guess, is that we were born here and have always lived here. And our children live here and will continue to. And this is where we can make a good living. Don't get me wrong - we love Chicago. The city is beautiful. We have wonderful theatre (not NY or London of course, but still wonderful - think Steppenwolf, Goodman, etc where we have been subscribers for umpteen years) and a fantastic opera company (Lyric). But the winters are bad -even a good winter is gloomy and grey. And we have no spring. But it's home. And speaking of home, I hope that you get home easily today - we're looking at more snow later, followed by frigid temperatures.

Forget tax planning, or rather concentrating on the job I'm supposed to be doing--I am now planning for NYE on SD!

I don't know when--but someday.

CarlyeCat--the Blu magazine should hire you! Your description practically made me call for that one cabin on SD II.

Yes after an amazingly long day I actually got in to Chicago, attended all my meetings and after two de-icings got back home to NY - albeit at 2:20 AM, but home is always a great place to end up!!

Fred -

Come on along, we will have a great time, that cabin is calling you!

Archived