evening attire

cred62

My husband and I are packing for the 12/09 sailing of the Spirit. We noticed that there are no formal nights and wondered if most men still wear jackets or is it more casual than that? Any advice would be appreciated!

My husband and I are packing for the 12/09 sailing of the Spirit. We noticed that there are no formal nights and wondered if most men still wear jackets or is it more casual than that? Any advice would be appreciated!

If the sailing is in the Caribbean, jackets are not required. The whole cruise is smart casual. On my Pride cruise last year, I wish I wouldn't have packed a sport jacket, as I never used it!

Host Dan

We have been on many Caribbean cruises on Seabourn--even with out the formal nights--I have found most of the gentleman wear jackets! On our Legend cruise March 25th, I will have two sport coats to wear--may not wear a tie, but I feel much better going to a beautiful dining room, with outstanding service wearing a jacket. Don

help! For the new years cruise, should my husband leave his tux behind and only bring a black suit? :confused:

in which does he look best--i'm sure you will look sensational--he should look the same!!!i'll bet tux wins!!!it sure would in our household. Don

Help! For the New Years cruise, should my husband leave his tux behind and only bring a black suit? :confused:

I have not been on seabourn (yet), but the New Years cruises are very dressy. I wore a suit, and wish I had brought my tux. If you own one, might as well break it out.

I'm hoping to get a little clarification. The dress code is smart casual. Nonetheless, most/many men wear suits - or jackets, sometimes with a tie, in the evening. Is that correct? I'm referring to a tropical cruise, not during the holidays.

We'll be happy with whatever the dress code is and how its typically interpreted - just want to pack accordingly.

Thanks in advance for any information.

If the dress code is smart or elegant casual that means a jacket is required but no tie. Whether you wear one is strictly up to you. However you feel more comfortable is how you should dress.

Thank you wripro for your reply. We will feel comfortable dressed according to the dress code. You state that smart casual means jacket with no tie required (which I would assume to be the case). However Host Dan says he took his sport jacket to the Caribbean and never wore it - implying that jackets were not required or expected in the evenings in the Caribbean. Therein lies my confusion.

I don't want to make a big deal about this. I'm guessing my husband will want to pack a sport coat or two in any event. Thanks again for your response.

If the dress code is just plain "casual" that means no jacket required. If your cruise only stipulates casual for the entire time you can leave the jacket at home if you wish. If there are any elegant casual evenings listed you will need the jacket.

As in any phase of life..there will always be those who do not adhere to the standards set. If they are comfy with it..so be it. Personally, I think it ridiculous to have the staff dressed so nicely, giving lux service..and having to serve people who look ready for a game of golf. Just my opinion, Lola

I think it is extremely important to see how the dress code is worded. On my Pride Caribbean cruise last year each evening was "casual". (This was not a Christmas or New Years cruise) Most men, including myself, wore a nice shirt (silk) and slacks. A few weeks ago, on my Odyssey Caribbean cruise there were 2 casual, 2 formal, and the rest were smart casual. The formal nights I wore a tuxedo, as most men, on smart casual nights I wore a jacket, sometimes a tie, sometimes not, and on the casual nights I wore a nice silk shirt and slacks.

Host Dan

Thank you, Dan. That clarifies it for me. For some unknown reason I was under the impression that Seabourn's dress code was "smart casual" all the time and everywhere. That there are some formal nights and casual nights mixed into some itineraries is just fine with us.

I shall wait to see what the dress code for this cruise is after we (hopefully!) get ourselves booked.

Dan,

Are they calling it smart casual now? What happened to elegant casual which was a replacement for informal?

It may have been elegant casual, but smart casual and elegant casual are synonymous anyway...

Host Dan

I think it is extremely important to see how the dress code is worded. On my Pride Caribbean cruise last year each evening was "casual". (This was not a Christmas or New Years cruise) Most men, including myself, wore a nice shirt (silk) and slacks. A few weeks ago, on my Odyssey Caribbean cruise there were 2 casual, 2 formal, and the rest were smart casual. The formal nights I wore a tuxedo, as most men, on smart casual nights I wore a jacket, sometimes a tie, sometimes not, and on the casual nights I wore a nice silk shirt and slacks.

Host Dan

Now that fits the bill. What I have observed on too many occasions..is more sloppy than casual sports attire..this really stands out, when most look like they should in accordance with the code. We live in Tucson, Az., where we see such flagrant relaxation in dress, that we really don't want to see that on the wonderful SB ships.

Host Dan

How can you tell what the dress will be before the trip? Is it available on the Seabourn website? Ours is an Odyssey Mediterranean cruise next summer.

Thanks!

How can you tell what the dress will be before the trip? Is it available on the Seabourn website? Ours is an Odyssey Mediterranean cruise next summer.

About 3 months before departure (usually after final payment) you will receive the preliminary documentation booklet which details shipboard life and the dress code is fully explained (as does the Seabourn brochure in the information section near the back) and other information such as shore excursions, transfers to the ship and other related items. The number of formal nights for your cruise is specified just below the cruise itinerary in the preliminary documentation booklet.

You can also go to Seabourn's website, click on "Already Booked", log into your reservation and the itinerary page will list the number of formal (or black tie optional as it usually says) nights. This information is usually available on the website at least 90 days before sailing.

Archived