Grandeur and chair hogs

referee

So, you would do it just out of spite even though you had chairs yourself?

I said every chair was reserved, but no one was in the solarium.. I actually rarely use the deck chairs but when I want to they're all taken, I commend the OPs action. If more people were that brave it would help put in end to the chair hogs

For those who are criticizing this "citizen police" approach: how about this? What if instead of taking the towels and personal belongings away, the items were just set on a nearby table or on the floor?

I don't see why the OP felt it necessary to do anything. If people were looking for loungers, tell them, "those two haven't been occupied all day," and let those people deal with it?

On Monarch they have (or had, anyway) a pool patrol person who would collect towels left on loungers. He or she would come by every 30 minutes or so and remove towels, but never personal belongings. The towels were not checked out, so there wouldn't be a charge for them being lost.

And I wonder how long the OP was gone for lunch. Half an hour? An hour? Did s/he give up her lounger while s/he was gone?:rolleyes:

The OP said"At noon, we went for lunch in the solarium" so did you remove all your stuff while you were gone and get new chairs when you came back? Did you come right back? The next time you mention is 2pm.

If we leave to eat we leave, if we want our loungers we don't leave or we take turns to go eat.

In other words it sounds as if the op reserved their chairs also, in front of the sign.

I said every chair was reserved, but no one was in the solarium.. I actually rarely use the deck chairs but when I want to they're all taken, I commend the OPs action. If more people were that brave it would help put in end to the chair hogs
The OP had a chair in the solarium and did it just out of spite, you said you sided with him. And you commend him for throwing other peoples belongings in the used towel bin?

Do you also think passengers should kick other passengers out of the MDR for wearing shorts at dinner if RCI won't do it?

The OP had a chair in the solarium and did it just out of spite, you said you sided with him. And you commend him for throwing other peoples belongings in the used towel bin?

Do you also think passengers should kick other passengers out of the MDR for wearing shorts at dinner if RCI won't do it?

Mark are you one of those people that put your belongings in a chair before lunch and expect to come back at dinner and still have your chair? I commend the OP for taking initiative and helping passengers who were polite enough to wait their turn instead of being selfish and thinking they deserve to have your own private chairs for the day.

My DW and I just returned from a four night cruise to Cozumel on The Granduer OTS. The trip consisted of one seaday one day in Cozumel and one sea day back to Tampa. We love the ship and everything about her.On the second sea day, the weather was a bit overcast, so, we deceided to spend the majority of the day in the solarium.We got there around 9:00 am, found two chairs, spread out our towels and opened our books. About 9;30, two couples came to the solarium, put towels down on the chairs next to us and left. Something made me check my watch. At noon, we went for lunch in the solarium, still no one came back for their "reserved seats"..I'm really getting annoyed. No pool security people showed up. At 2:00 pm, I couldn't take it anymore .I picked up all four towels, and shoes and brought them to the used towel bin... How inconsiderate can these people be !!!!! Besides, I believe they will be out $80 in towel fees..I felt great...

Good for you! I hope more people follow your example!

Mark are you one of those people that put your belongings in a chair before lunch and expect to come back at dinner and still have your chair? I commend the OP for taking initiative and helping passengers who were polite enough to wait their turn instead of being selfish and thinking they deserve to have your own private chairs for the day.
No, I'm not, I'm the kind of person who sits in a chair if I have a towel on it. Thanks for asking.

Then you don't have anything to worry about
Neither did the OP, he had his chairs.

I just don't agree with the whole concept that it's somehow OK for passengers to mete out vigilante justice on each other because they don't agree with how strictly RCI enforces some particular rule.

Mark if you're this determined to defend chairhogs you should wait by the pool for someone to drop their things off and head to lunch, then you can sit by and watch them incase someones who's there at the moment tries to move them to use the chairs. You'd have a much better result doing that than defending them here

Perhaps borderline criminal!

Shame on you.:mad:

Absolutely agree!! Shame on you!!! :D Don't you realise the problems the chairhoggers went thru just to get their seats, going up early to reserve THEIR seats and then you came and destroy their plans??? Maybe they would come back for a quick swim in the pool before late dinner?:p

Well, now when I have gotten that off my chest, where is my damn Crocs that someone stole in the solarium;)?

Neither did the OP, he had his chairs.

I just don't agree with the whole concept that it's somehow OK for passengers to mete out vigilante justice on each other because they don't agree with how strictly RCI enforces some particular rule.

Come on, Mark, many of us have said we would simply MOVE the hogs stuff to the floor or nearby table. That is hardly "vigilante justice". This really isn't the big drama you are making it out to be.

People shouldn't leave thier property laying around in a public place unattended. I'm not condoning throwing their stuff in the garbage but man, you really should take responsibility for your stuff.

Would you go to a public park, leave your belongings on a park bench, go somewhere for lunch and come back later and expect it to be there?

Hardly.

And its even worse when you know you are leaving it on chairs that are in high demand. If your stuff is gone after an hour or two, its your own fault.

Come on, Mark, many of us have said we would simply MOVE the hogs stuff to the floor or nearby table. That is hardly "vigilante justice". This really isn't the big drama you are making it out to be.

Ummmmmm ...... the OP said he hid their clothes ........ and got a sick charge from it.

Mark's being generous with his responses if you ask me.

Ummmmmm ...... the OP said he hid their clothes ........ and got a sick charge from it.

Mark's being generous with his responses if you ask me.

Ummmmmmm.....If Mark is only referring to the OP with his "vigilante justice" comment then Mark should indicate that specifically and not paint all of us with the same brush. For the record, I do not agree with throwing the hogs personal belongings in the used towel bin. I see nothing wrong with MOVING them!

Ummmmmmm.....If Mark is only referring to the OP with his "vigilante justice" comment then Mark should indicate that specifically and not paint all of us with the same brush. For the record, I do not agree with throwing the hogs personal belongings in the used towel bin. I see nothing wrong with MOVING them!

I think that if you cannot find a chair, or a few chairs together, and there are chairs that have been unattended for some time (1/2 hour or so) it is perfectly fine to move the stuff to the side. I don't think it's OK to "dispose of it." I also don't think you should just appoint yourself the "chair police" and clear off every saved lounge.

I think that if you cannot find a chair, or a few chairs together, and there are chairs that have been unattended for some time (1/2 hour or so) it is perfectly fine to move the stuff to the side. I don't think it's OK to "dispose of it." I also don't think you should just appoint yourself the "chair police" and clear off every saved lounge.

I agree, Sam. Like so many threads, this one is spiraling off and I think folks true feelings are not being understood like they would be if we were all sitting in a room together (like maybe the Solarium lol) and giving our thoughts. A hazard of message board conversations!

The real question is, what is a "reasonable" time to leave your items unattended? Is it 30, 60, 90 minutes?

Think about it, you drop your belongings off on your chair(s), go into the solarium pool for an hour, get out and get a bite to eat in the solarium for a half hour and come back to your lounge chair(s) and poof! Your belongings are now gone.

I don't think that's for us as passengers to determine what is and/or what is not appropriate. It's the cruise line's responsibility. There are pool attendants, let them monitor.

My DW and I just returned from a four night cruise to Cozumel on The Granduer OTS. The trip consisted of one seaday one day in Cozumel and one sea day back to Tampa. We love the ship and everything about her.On the second sea day, the weather was a bit overcast, so, we deceided to spend the majority of the day in the solarium.We got there around 9:00 am, found two chairs, spread out our towels and opened our books. About 9;30, two couples came to the solarium, put towels down on the chairs next to us and left. Something made me check my watch. At noon, we went for lunch in the solarium, still no one came back for their "reserved seats"..I'm really getting annoyed. No pool security people showed up. At 2:00 pm, I couldn't take it anymore .I picked up all four towels, and shoes and brought them to the used towel bin... How inconsiderate can these people be !!!!! Besides, I believe they will be out $80 in towel fees..I felt great...

Thank you and bravo!

I am so sick and tired of the same chair hog post without anyone saying I did something. Just maybe, one by one, one chair at a time, the message will be clear, NO MORE;) I will make the chair available for the next mama to come along with a drink in her hand and junk in her trunk. From here on, for you to claim the chair your meat must be in the seat.

I cyber salute you with a cyber dance:

6d899681ac5be99a97b3b6220a576b10.gif

The real question is, what is a "reasonable" time to leave your items unattended? Is it 30, 60, 90 minutes?

Think about it, you drop your belongings off on your chair(s), go into the solarium pool for an hour, get out and get a bite to eat in the solarium for a half hour and come back to your lounge chair(s) and poof! Your belongings are now gone.

I don't think that's for us as passengers to determine what is and/or what is not appropriate. It's the cruise line's responsibility. There are pool attendants, let them monitor.

If you are going to leave the area to eat or go to the art acution, or towel folding, or back to your room to take a nap, I think you should take your stuff with you. You'll be gone for at least a half hour. Would it be OK if I took the ping pong paddles with me to lunch so that I would have them when I came back?

If you are in the pool, you have every right to leave your stuff in the pool area. But if I was intending to spend a an hour in the pool (I'm usually more the 15 to 20 minute dip person) I would put my things at one of the empty tables, so that people who want to use the loungers have them available to use. When I got out of the pool I would then look for a lounger if I wanted to lay out by the pool for a while.

In moving someone's things off of a chair, I would not be passing any judgement on them. I would simply be making use of a public facility and equipment that is not being used at that time.

So to answer your question, if you are in the pool area, you can go back to check on your spot, maybe have a drink or read a page or two of something and then go back to the pool. I'd say after 30-45 mninutes, if that chair hasn't been used, it shouldn't be saved. At that point I would feel comfortable moving stuff aside (never throwing out). A chair that goes unused for an hour, when no other chairs are available is also a form of stealing. It's denying somone the use of the facility that they paid for, while the chair hog isn't using it either.

My answer is what's a reaonable time to leave my camera unattended. I will only leave it for a short period of time after asking someone to keep an eye on it. This goes the same for my daughter. I keep an close eye on things of value. If I am going to be gone long enough where leaving them would make me uncomfortable, then I know! I know people who leave their kids the way they leave towels and expired magazine but never an expensive camera:eek:

Archived