Happy Dawn Adrift cruiser to Not so happy cruiser to a happy solution

pieshops

we were on sailing of the Dawn over thanksgiving that had the power outage.

We took the outage with stride, made the best of it, thought the crew and officers did a great job and was very happy with the compensation package.

that is until i wanted to use the 50% off discount.

We decided to book an extra cruise with the discount, one we never would have been able to afford if not for the discount. So i found a sailing of the spirit and booked 3 of us in the least expensive inside cabin

Total price was $1600 (600 me and my wife and 400 daugter) plus 210 taxes, we had a total of $1500 credits (700 for me, 700 my wife and 100 daughter), i booked it and figured it was going to coast a total of $300 (200 for the taxes and $100 overage)

i was very suprised to learn that that the excess would not be applied to the cabin but would be forfeited, i was told to book a higher cabin to use the excess. So my $300 cruise is now costing me almost $700.

don't take me wrong i appreciate the credit and thank NCl for it, but if you are going to offer a 50% discount on the price you paid, you should get a 50% discount on the price you paid.

I'm very confused. According to your figures, the new cruise was going to cost you more than your credits. So, where's the excess that you were going to forfeit? It looks like you just had to make up the difference for the new cruise and that would be it.

the fare for my wife and i was 600 each (before taxes) and the credit we had was 700 each. the fare for my daughter was 400 (before taxes) and she had a 100 credit. So we did not use all the credit and it is forfeited rather then being applied to the rest of the cabin cost.

So, the credit is straight up fare and does not include any taxes? Why wouldn't they just figure total cost of the cabin as going to using the credit. I would send an email to Kevin Sheehan and Andy Stuart and ask about it. If they play it that strictly it is going to be a PR nightmare.

PE

Sounds like you want a 100% off your next cruise, not 50%.

That was quite unfair.

No, he just wants to use the total amount of the credit to it's full benefit. The 50% was calculated on what they had spent on the affected cruise. So he should have X amount of dollars to spend any way he chooses.

PE

the fare for my wife and i was 600 each (before taxes) and the credit we had was 700 each. the fare for my daughter was 400 (before taxes) and she had a 100 credit. So we did not use all the credit and it is forfeited rather then being applied to the rest of the cabin cost.

OK. I got it. In other words, they wouldn't allow you to apply the leftover $200 ($100 each for you and your wife) to your daughter's new fare ($400). That's disappointing but not surprising since each credit belongs to an individual. As I understand it, the overall $1500 credit can't be used as a single credit for the new booking because each credit is treated separately.

don't take me wrong i appreciate the credit and thank NCl for it, but if you are going to offer a 50% discount on the price you paid, you should get a 50% discount on the price you paid.

Absolutely! I think you should pursue this with the appropriate NCL people.

So' date=' the credit is straight up fare and does not include any taxes? Why wouldn't they just figure total cost of the cabin as going to using the credit. I would send an email to Kevin Sheehan and Andy Stuart and ask about it. If they play it that strictly it is going to be a PR nightmare.[/color']

PE

It might be that it is a 50% credit calculated on the last cruise that can be used for up to 50% of the next cruise - any unused amount is forfeited.

planers edge,

exactly, thank you. Sorry i had a bit of trouble conveying this.

They have each credit linked with each persons latitudes account, so each person either uses it or loses it.

I sent a letter to Kevin, do you have an email to Andy Stuart?

OK. I got it. In other words, they wouldn't allow you to apply the leftover $200 ($100 each for you and your wife) to your daughter's new fare ($400). That's disappointing but not surprising since each credit belongs to an individual. As I understand it, the overall $1500 credit can't be used as a single credit for the new booking because each credit is treated separately.

exactly, we were all on the affected cruise and it is not like my wife and daughter each paid seperatly, we paid for the cruise as a whole.

planers edge,

exactly, thank you. Sorry i had a bit of trouble conveying this.

They have each credit linked with each persons latitudes account, so each person either uses it or loses it.

I sent a letter to Kevin, do you have an email to Andy Stuart?

I understand your disappointment, since it all comes out of one bank account. We'd be in the same situation with two adults and a daughter.

Now, if I'm reading your description properly, the extra $400 is for the inside cabin, right? How much different would it be to book a higher category? Your daughter's fare will likely be the same as a third person in the cabin regardless, so if you can book a higher category for the extra $100 per person, I think that's the way to go. I think $700 for a cruise for three people is a fantastic deal no matter how you look at it.

That being said, I think writing and explaining your situation is a good idea. I'm sure that the system they're using is going to work very well for most passengers, but for those situations like yours, hopefully they'll make an exception. :)

thats what reservations told me to do, book a higher cabin.

That is not what i want to do though, nor should i have to, we would not normally be able to afford 2 cruises in one year and the extra $400 i am paying now would have covered the tips for the cabin.

We do have been to all the ports on this cruise with the exception of Guatamale and do not plan on doing excursions other then there and we really dont drink so other then the cruise we really would not have had a lot of expenses.

Im still confused.. Sorry.. or at least I think I am.

So if the affected cruise cost someone $1000.00, part of the compensation they got was up to $500.00 off of their next cruise?

So in your example, when booking your next cruise you had $700.00 credit towards your next cruise and your wife had $700.00 credit towards her next cruise and your daughter had $100.00 credit towards her next cruise. What you are concerned about is that your next cruise only cost you and your wife $600.00 each (which leaves $100.00 unused credit for each of you) and NCL will not let you apply that towards the $300.00 you will owe towards your daughters fare?

Just trying to make sure I understand it all.

ok, now it is clearer..I don't think this is terribly unusual. Any cruise line would expect you to book a cruise at the same price or higher than the one you were on or forfeit the difference. Usually any discount is "up to" x number of dollars or percentage. That being said, write a letter, you might get lucky. Good luck.

Nita

Im still confused.. Sorry.. or at least I think I am.

So if the affected cruise cost someone $1000.00, part of the compensation they got was up to $500.00 off of their next cruise?

So in your example, when booking your next cruise you had $700.00 credit towards your next cruise and your wife had $700.00 credit towards her next cruise and your daughter had $100.00 credit towards her next cruise. What you are concerned about is that your next cruise only cost you and your wife $600.00 each (which leaves $100.00 unused credit for each of you) and NCL will not let you apply that towards the $300.00 you will owe towards your daughters fare?

Just trying to make sure I understand it all.

exactly

So' date=' the credit is straight up fare and does not include any taxes? Why wouldn't they just figure total cost of the cabin as going to using the credit. I would send an email to Kevin Sheehan and Andy Stuart and ask about it. If they play it that strictly it is going to be a PR nightmare.

PE[/color']

I believe the 50% credits available do include the taxes of the 'old' cruise, so would have assumed that they can be used to cover taxes on the 'new' cruise. (as our fare for the 'new' cruise we booked is higher than the 'old' one, we are not faced with that scenario though).

From what I understand, the credits are 'per person' applied under each individual passenger's latitude number, so if for example friends were sharing a cabin, each of them can use their credit individually as they please. It would be very difficult for NCL to make a differentiation between families on on hand and individuals who were sharing a cabin and may have separate future plans on the other (if you wanted to use parts of your and your wife's credits, you would get into transferring of entitlements).

From what I understand, the credits are 'per person' applied under each individual passenger's latitude number, so if for example friends were sharing a cabin, each of them can use their credit individually as they please. It would be very difficult for NCL to make a differentiation between families on on hand and individuals who were sharing a cabin and may have separate future plans on the other (if you wanted to use parts of your and your wife's credits, you would get into transferring of entitlements).

Yes, you're right and I understand all that. But unfortunately there will be others in situations similar to the OP where the exact same party will be rebooking. One would hope that there's some way of them making exceptions in these instances and allowing them to aggregate the credits for the entire party traveling together. As others have advised, perhaps a polite letter to NCL explaining the situation and requesting an exemption will do the trick.

I believe the 50% credits available do include the taxes of the 'old' cruise, so would have assumed that they can be used to cover taxes on the 'new' cruise. (as our fare for the 'new' cruise we booked is higher than the 'old' one, we are not faced with that scenario though).

the 50% credit is only on the base fare, they do not include taxes and port charges, the same will go for the refund

that is correct.

i assume this will not be a problem for most as stated before, most people will book the same type or higher cabin they had before.

There is a problem though in my situation and I am sure i will not be the only one, who want to use the credit on a lower price cabin and basically cruise for free.

I am not trying to get anything i have not been given, i do not want money back in cash for unused credit nor do i want shipboard credit and i am not trying to manipulate the system in any way, I just want to use what was given me in the way i want to on this cruise and i should not be punished because i found a good rate.

that is correct.

i assume this will not be a problem for most as stated before, most people will book the same type or higher cabin they had before.

There is a problem though in my situation and I am sure i will not be the only one, who want to use the credit on a lower price cabin and basically cruise for free.

I am not trying to get anything i have not been given, i do not want money back in cash for unused credit nor do i want shipboard credit and i am not trying to manipulate the system in any way, I just want to use what was given me in the way i want to on this cruise and i should not be punished because i found a good rate.

Keeping fingers crossed for a successful resolution of your situation fingerscrossed.gif- please let us know how you get on.

Archived