Much walking withn River Wallace/Altun Ha?

marshhawk

How much walking is involved with the River Wallace Altun Ha trip? My friends are considering this, but the wifey cannot do a lot of walking. She thinks the river experience would be very fascinating and the ruins interesting, but is there alot of walking from the river to the ruins?

We did this tour last week on the Glory. There is quite a bit of walking and standing at Altun Ha itself and there is one structure there where you can climb to the top. We did the one hour or so bus ride first, toured the ruins, a maybe half hour bus ride to a riverfront resort where you can purchase lunch and some trinkets before getting on the boat and the the boat ride back to the port. We did see howler monkeys, crocodiles and iguanas on the boat trip, but no manatees or dolphins.

• 2 weeks later...

Only walking is at Altun Ha, which is rocky in some places, but she can go at her own pace and no one has to climb the pyramid if they choose not to. It's a big step down into the boat if you do the river portion first and leave from the dock in Belize.

We were there on Sunday. I'm still finishing my review, but here's a link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1107851

The Belize portion is in posts 33-35.

I can only comment on Altun Ha. At that site there is very little walking between the parking lot and the main site. Certainly one requires some mobility, but there is no hiking to speak of. Anyone with a reasonable amount of ability, such as being able to walk a mile or so in the city, should be able to do just fine. Disabled visitors may have some difficulty depending on the scope of their disability.

Archived