Stone Island Tour

Baxter

Has anyone booked at tour through Charters Mexico Catamaran Puesta De Sol? I am travelling with my 3 year old daughter and am looking for simple arrangements to get us to a decent beach.

If you have any information about this company, please let me know!

Here is the link: http://www.mazatlan.com.mx/stoneisladtour/homepage.htm

We did the Stone Island tour with Puesta del Sol two years ago. Had a wonderful time! Everything was just as promised on their website. We were lucky to have a nice sunny day, and the catamaran ride was very enjoyable. We chose the horseback ride and the inflatable kayak for our two (free) excursions on Stone Island. The horses are small and walk slowly through the little town (that would be a good thing, for your 3 year old). It gives you a good look at how the people live there. The lunch was o.k. We had the chicken, which tasted good, but was pretty scrawny. Definitely NOT Perdue! The water was warm (October).

Lots of people just go to Stone Island on their own, but we had no regrets with taking the Puesta del Sol tour. We got to see the cliff divers, the cathedral, and the harbor by catamaran. We were picked up and returned right at the pier. Didn't have to worry about anything. Well worth the $35 in my book.

Has anyone booked at tour through Charters Mexico Catamaran Puesta De Sol? I am travelling with my 3 year old daughter and am looking for simple arrangements to get us to a decent beach.

If you have any information about this company, please let me know!

Here is the link: http://www.mazatlan.com.mx/stoneisladtour/homepage.htm

I would definitely NOT recommend the Stone Island tour... I don't know about this particular company, but Stone Island is not a decent beach - we went there once and will never make that mistake again! It is dirty and there is not much to do there.

If you are just looking for a beach day with your daughter, I would recommend having a taxi driver take you to El Cid-El Moro. They will offer you a day pass for $35.00 when go go into the hotel, which is a pretty good deal. You can use their pool and order drinks and eat the buffet lunch. You don't have to use the day pass however, if you just want to sit on the beach in a lounge chair - but to make them happy you should at least order something while you are there. It is a very nice beach and a good location. We go there every time we are in Mazatlan! Enjoy!

Hi all. We are going in mid-January to Mazatlan and have selected the Stone Island tour offer by the ship. I am reading mixed reviews of the tour. I hope some others can add their 2 cents to this board so that we can make a decision about the tour. Sounds like we could find it much cheaper by not going through the ship, however. So if we go to El Cid-El Moro, do we just go there and ask at the front desk for the day pass? Thanks a bunch for your comments.

Did a Stone Island tour through mazatlan tours or something like that for $36?

Not too impressed. Besides it being open bar, I think that was about the highlight.

Merky water too dark to snorkel. I did see the banana boat running, VENDORS galore...always wanting your attention.

Any other questions, just ask.

Just a couple more thoughts on the Stone Island experience. When we were there, the beach wasn't dirty by any means. The sand isn't powder white, and the water isn't the color of Windex, like in the Caribbean, so in that respect it could be considered to be inferior. Different sand, different water. There were only a couple of vendors that day, maybe it's the time of year..............we were there in late Oct., so can't speak for other times of year. Stone Island isn't loaded with tons of motorized watersports. It's a simpler, laid back, rustic type of place. The restaurants/bars are mostly palapa type, thatched roofs, simple, not fancy. Definitely not fancy. What Stone Island does have, in our opinion, is a little more authenticity. We felt like we were experiencing a more "real" Mexico, rather than a rich, manicured, perfect, place. So a lot depends on what type of experience you like to have when you are in a port.

Hope these thoughts are helpful. Whatever you choose, Mexico is a fascinating place, you will like it, for sure.

I also would like more info. about El cid day pass. I have sent them an e-mail asking for more info, hope to hear back soon.

You don't have to do anything ahead of time - they are used to cruise ship passengers coming in. This time there was an employee in the lobby who stopped us and asked if we were on the cruise ship and if so were we interested in a day pass. In the past, we have had to ask at the front desk if we wanted the pass... it looks like now they are being more proactive and asking people as they come in. The day pass includes access to the pool, the buffet and drinks (not sure about premium drinks, we just got beer and soda). You will get a wristband that shows that you purchased the day pass.

Again, it is optional - if you do not purchase the day pass you can still hang out on the beach and use the lounge chairs, but you will not have access to the pool and you will have to pay for food and drinks, which would be highly encouraged. :)

Archived