Quatchi's Conquest Cruise Review October 2009

BC Todd

Many of you know that the 2010 Winter Olympics are coming to Vancouver on February 12, 2010. We decided that we would take one of the mascots for the Olympics with us on our cruise. This little mascot’s name is Quatchi. Quatchi is a sasquatch. We know many people have used gnomes on holiday, but I thought this mascot may enjoy some warm weather!

DSCF1061.jpg

DSCF1065.jpg

We needed three suitcases. The light blue suitcase was full of my wife's shoes!

DSCF1074.jpg

We had a very early start!

We started our trip with an overnight stay at a hotel near our airport. A planned power outage at our condo building had to be done on the same night as our departure. Well, needless to say, getting up at 4:00 am with no electrical power would not do. So, we just took this challenge in stride and started our holiday a day early by checking into the hotel near the airport.

The next morning we were up early and at the airport the required 2 hours early for international flights. Now, we did have another one night stop in Las Vegas on our way to Galveston. Las Vegas was on the way and we got complimentary hotel rooms at the Luxor, so we went for it!

DSCF1083.jpg

We had to fly to Vegas via Salt Lake City (kinda ironic)...

DSCF1084.jpg

We are looking pretty wide awake considering the time of day!

DSCF1101.jpg

When we got to Vegas (love the Vegas) we checked in using the VIP check in lounge, threw our bags into the room and then it was off to the outlet mall. We looked around a bit at the mall and my wife bought me a VERY nice Movado watch for my birthday. Back to the hotel we went for some gambling time. Did I mention we love to gamble? And the Luxor gave us $200 in slot play! We built that up to $450 and then had to put my dear wife to bed (too many daiquiris). That left me alone, not a good thing. Needless to say I lost the money we made and all the money in my wallet. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb…but it is just money and you can always make more money (that is my attitude).

I will be adding Vegas photos and our ship arrival photos in upcoming posts. I should thank all of you for the great information on this page!

DSCF1104.jpg

As you can see, Quatchi is a high roller...

DSCF1106.jpg

Even Quatchi loves Chris Angel...

DSCF1110.jpg

I am so glad about this rule!

DSCF1114.jpg

We have our tags laminated with clear packing tape. We also placed a copy on top of our clothes in the suitcase. The idea is that if the tags get torn off somehow and they open the suitcase to see if they can identify the owners, they will see our tags inside the suitcases too. I know, I am a paranoid person, but that is the way I roll.

DSCF1119.jpg

Quatchi, you can't drive...silly sasquatch.

When we got to Huston we stayed overnight at an airport hotel so we could catch the Carnival shuttle in the morning. The shuttle left when we thought it would and we got to the ship in plenty of time, but if I had to do it again I would hire a car instead. The cost of the shuttle, plus the cost of the taxi to the shuttle and the inconvenience of being on a bus would make me hire a town car next time. We had a stop at Hobby airport on the way and got to the ship around 11:00 am.

We got on board with the VIP service (we had a Cat 11 Suite) this was awesome! Of course, now we must have this perk forever. Oh well, once you have a balcony you are hooked too. The first stop, once on board was of course the Lido deck for a welcome aboard drink of the day.

DSCF1120.jpg

DSCF1122.jpg

Quatchi will be using this waterslide later this week!

When we had access to our suite we were amazed! We loved our suite and could not believe all the room. The tub was nice to have and not having a shower curtain, but a glass door is much better. In our suite was our welcome aboard liquor we had pre-ordered through the Bon Voyage department. It did cost $40.00 per bottle.

DSCF1132.jpg

DSCF1134.jpg

DSCF1135.jpg

He better not jump!

DSCF1131.jpg

DSCF1136.jpg

Up next, the good old muster drill! Stay tuned...

DSCF1138.jpg

Houston we have a problem...get it...Houston...like Apollo 13...we are cruising out of Galveston...wow, Quatchi you have a bad sense of humour (no humour with a "u" is not a typo...lol!)

DSCF1144.jpg

This should work...

All our luggage arrived at once before we even had our muster drill! We started unpacking then realized it was time for our muster drill, so off we go with our life jackets to muster station A. I have heard this is no longer required but I kind of enjoyed muster drills. There are always a few funny people around and the crew are so nice.

DSCF1147.jpg

Well, back to our balcony for departure! I love the balcony size of the suites. Maybe one day we will try an aft wrap around.

I always enjoy watching the pilot boats following us and making the tricky pick up. Once we were off and on our way through the gulf I spied an oil platform in the distance.

DSCF1139.jpg

DSCF1150.jpg

DSCF1161.jpg

DSCF1163.jpg

Now that we were settled in, it was time to do some exploring while we waited for our dinner time. We met our cabin stewards and they were very available. Whatever we asked for, we got. We even met the lady from the Point Dinner Club and let her know we would see her Thursday night. We usually take the second elegant night for our dinner club evening.

DSCF1171.jpg

Football on the outdoor screen...big surprise when you cruise out of Texas...they love their football!

DSCF1172.jpg

DSCF1178.jpg

DSCF1176.jpg

DSCF1177.jpg

We always take the late seating for the main dining room. We love being able to take our time getting ready for dinner and watching the early diners on the promenade deck. There is even time for a little sushi appetizers. Dinner was awesome. I had the steak and it was cooked perfectly and that melting chocolate cake…yummmm.

DSCF1184.jpg

DSCF1187.jpg

I think Quatchi really loves towel animals!

DSCF1191.jpg

Time to wake up...it is gonna be a beautiful day...

Our itinerary gave us a relaxing day at sea and the weather cooperated! Our idea of a good time is a book and beverage by the pool. Love the adults only area on the aft deck.

DSCF1123.jpg

DSCF1201.jpg

Wow, is this sun hot in the Gulf!

DSCF1202.jpg

I think Quatchi's tan has a long way to go to be as nice as my wife's...

My new camera is water proof, so had to try it out in the pool. I was a little nervous, but it worked great. This being a Monday, meant that it was the first elegant night. We love dressing up. This is actually the first time I did not bring a Tux, but my dark suit was in keeping with other people’s attire. Of course my wife is always stunning! Monday also means lobster. I love lobster…I had two! I only wish they served a proper lobster butter (you know with a little candle to keep the butter warm). Oh well, I survived somehow.

DSCF1205.jpg

DSCF1210.jpg

The sun is amazing!

DSCF1216.jpg

DSCF1221.jpg

It was my Birthday!

DSCF1222.jpg

Quatchi had all ready called it a night when we got back from dinner.

Our second day was also a day at sea. This was fine for me, I so enjoy the do nothing side of cruising.

DSCF1223.jpg

Quatchi was up early to save me a chair...now does that make me or Quatchi the chair hog?

DSCF1224.jpg

Everyone was reading this book...it was a good book so I lent it to Quatchi when I was done... I also donated this copy to the Conquest Liabrary!

DSCF1225.jpg

Yep, catching a nap on deck...notice my team Canada shirts!

DSCF1226.jpg

DSCF1192.jpg

Quatchi would guard our room when we were out and aboot...lol

DSCF1129.jpg

I always had to reward Quatchi for a job well done and he enjoyed the drink of the day!

On Wednesday we arrived in Jamaica. We did not have anything booked for this port so we just grabbed a taxi and went to a beach front resort. We liked the Sunset Beach resort.

DSCF1231.jpg

I took this pic as we approach the dock in Jamaica. Those buildings happen to be the resort we were planning to go to and we did not know it! What are the chances?

DSCF1230.jpg

Here comes the pilot boat. I know this is kinda geeky taking pics of these pilot boats but I find it interesting that our huge ship is piloted by someone in such a small boat...

DSCF1238.jpg

Here is Quatchi on his first island!

DSCF1266.jpg

The locals loved Quatchi...Jamaica hopes to qualify for the bobsled competition at the Olympics in Vancouver just like they we able to in Calgary in 1988...remember cool runnings?

DSCF1265.jpg

We are off to the Sunset Resort!

DSCF1243.jpg

Ahhhhh...this is living...

I got the idea to check this resort out by reading threads on CC. So thanks everyone! This resort was nice for many reasons. First of all it was very close to the pier. It has several pools, a decent beach and was very quiet. We had a lunch and several drinks and the day only cost us around $60.00 per person.

DSCF1251.jpg

You can see the Conquest's funnel behind the building at the Sunset resort...I told you it was close.

DSCF1246.jpg

DSCF1258.jpg

Nice pools and they were four of them!

DSCF1250.jpg

Pools are also closer to the bar!

DSCF1259.jpg

And you have to be close to the bar in this heat!

DSCF1255.jpg

This is the main dining hall at the Sunset Resort.

DSCF1262.jpg

Time to get out of the sun for a while...

DSCF1264.jpg

Nice beach, small but clean...I was told this beach was man made.

DSCF1268.jpg

Back to the ship and the never ending painting of the Conquest

DSCF1280.jpg

Got to have at least one squishing pic

DSCF1286.jpg

Tomorrow Grand Cayman!

Our next day was Grand Cayman. I love this place. I remember the sand and water from our first cruise and couldn’t wait to see the beach again. We, again, did not book anything on this port. All we needed was a beach and bar. You do have to tender here, so we took our time and wandered down to the lobby around 10:00 ish and had no problem getting on a tender. Once we got to the dock, we had to wait about 15 minutes to get a taxi to Palms resort. This place was awesome! Rent a couple of chairs, an umbrella and buy the drinks right on the beach. I love this place, I love the beach (did I mention this all ready?).

DSCF1287.jpg

DSCF1294.jpg

DSCF1305.jpg

DSCF1309.jpg

I love Seven Mile Beach!

DSCF1310.jpg

DSCF1314.jpg

Can you see the little fishes?

DSCF1307.jpg

Chair rental, $5.00 each...umbrella rental also $5.00. They hustle out to your chair, dig a hole and plant your umbrella!

DSCF1302.jpg

Yes, the water is that blue...

When we done at the beach, we were off to town to look around, visit a bank (dam that Vegas stop) and grab a bite to eat. We love seeing our friendly bank so far from home. And, you have to have a photo with a big black dick. We were then off to Margaritaville for lunch. We both had a burger, fries and a daiquiri and they were great, but cost over $75.00. They also played great couple games on the dance floor and the tequila was flowing freely.

DSCF1342.jpg

DSCF1345.jpg

DSCF1346.jpg

DSCF1357.jpg

DSCF1355.jpg

In this game, couples had to burst balloons in, well, very suggestive ways...it was very funny to watch!

Tomorrow Cozumel!

This evening we went to the Point Dinner Club. We actually were told we “won” a free visit even though we had a reservation. But who looks a gift horse in the mouth. I think they gave us this perk because we booked our next cruise (a B2B in December 2010) on board the day before. The dinner in the Point Dining Room was fantastic!

Our last stop was the next day in Cozumel. We did book a day at Play Mia with Carnival. This was our only planned excursion and it was our most disappointing beach day. Play Mia is too crowded for me and next time we will be heading somewhere else for sun and sand. We actually had more fun at the Fat Tuesdays near the pier.

DSCF1362.jpg

We will be docking right next to our sister ship the Valor, or Valour or Velour...apparently it has been rebranded by a fellow Canadian! LOL

DSCF1369.jpg

The Valley of the Conquest Class!

DSCF1375.jpg

I know it is early...but we are on holidays!

DSCF1376.jpg

It is a long walk from the ship to the market...but they do have bicycle rickshaws if you need one...

DSCF1380.jpg

This market area has all the shopping I could ever need in Mexico...

DSCF1379.jpg

We waited for our friends and then it was off to Play Mia Beach Resort...

We will be docking right next to our sister ship the Valor, or Valour or Velour...apparently it has been rebranded by a fellow Canadian! LOL

I'm famous! Well, sort of. LOL!

Really enjoyed your review! Looks like Quatchi had an excellent time!!!!!!

Archived