Rental Car Type

kellymonster23

My sister and I will be on POA June 26, 2010. We are beginning to look at excursion/activities for each island. We will probably be renting a car on Maui, driving Haleakala Crater and Hilo, driving VNP. Is there a particular car type that is better for these islands? We would love to rent a convertible. Which island will be better for a convertible (best sites/scenery)? I remember reading somewhere on these boards (of course i can't find it now) that a jeep is nice to have for VNP.

Can anyone give me their opinion on this??

Thanks in advance!!!!

You really do not need a jeep for VNP. All the roads to and in the park are nicely paved, but, if you think you would enjoy a jeep, then go for it for sure. Here on the Hilo side of the Big Island we can get frequent showers....but this does NOT mean that you WILL experience showers!! The temperature up at VNP can sometimes be a bit cooler than the rest of the island. The entrance to the park is at approximately 4,000 feet elevation.

A convertible would be lots of fun on Maui!!

I agree with the others, go with a convertible. However, unless you have already checked pricing, car rental companies are real proud of those cars so be prepared for a little sticker shock! No need for a Jeep, or a 4x4, unless you plan on some serious off-roading.

I agree with the others, go with a convertible. However, unless you have already checked pricing, car rental companies are real proud of those cars so be prepared for a little sticker shock! No need for a Jeep, or a 4x4, unless you plan on some serious off-roading.

We were surprised to learn that a 2010 Mustang convertable was actually cheaper on Oahu than a jeep, mini-van, 4 door min-SUV (Subaru Forrester). It was $2/day more than a compact....

If your planning on renting a car, TAKE A PORTABLE GPS!! Having our Garmin made getting anywhere or finding anything a breeze!

We were surprised to learn that a 2010 Mustang convertable was actually cheaper on Oahu than a jeep, mini-van, 4 door min-SUV (Subaru Forrester). It was $2/day more than a compact....

If your planning on renting a car, TAKE A PORTABLE GPS!! Having our Garmin made getting anywhere or finding anything a breeze!

Which rental company was this??

The price of gas is higher in Hawaii than probably anywhere else. I know when we were there, we reserved smaller cars, like a dodge Stratus, but we decided not to try and fight the crowds trying to get off the ship ASAP. We relaxed, had breakfast and then left usually about 45 minute after we docked, or begin to let people off. For us, that worked out great as twice, in Maui and the Big Island, we ended up with a PT Convertible, as an upgrade, and we loved it. We were told, anyone you see in a Mustang convertible IS automatically a tourist. In fact, we were offered one as an upgrade, but we opted for the Cruiser.

I was 61 when we were in Hawaii, and never drove a convertible in my life, but we loved it. In fact, for us old timers, we happen to bring a couple of our own CD's along to play and one was Roy Orbison's greatest hits. There we were, cruising Hawaii, with Roy Orbison blasting from the stereo. We had a ball.

Do it, you won't regret it. People say don't rent a convertible as you never know when it will rain. Who cares, it takes all of 30 seconds to push the button that puts the top up.

Go for it.

Here we are

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00666.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00839.jpg

GAs price for regular on Oahu can range from 3.19 to 3.40 with 3.30 average. It is much higher on the Neighbor Islands. But don't forget that Hawaii is a group of islands and each island isn't like travelling from San Francisco to LA or Boston to NYC

Convertibles are great - provided that you use a lot of sunscreen!!! The average temperature is around 80.

I stick to the conventional sedan with the A/C around 70 but then I live in Hawaii!

You asked where in particular a convertible would be best used. I'd say on Maui on the Road to Hana.

We were given a big Jeep as an upgrade from a midsize car (not the regular jeep, but a big comfy one more like an SUV). We did not have to use the 4 wheel drive aspect, though.

On the Big Island they upgraded us to a Lincoln Continental and it was not too large for the roads, either. So get what you'll feel good in. Both upgrades were thru Thrifty.

And join the frequent renter program for whatever company you choose. They may have a special line for those card holders which could expedite your check in. Also, with all information given when you reserve the car, your paperwork will be ready and waiting.

Archived