Stroller versus Back Pack Carrier

QTMichele

I'm absolutely bringing the stoller on our upcoming cruise - can't imagine not having it, especially since my son will sleep in it after we've walked for a while. However, I'm thinking that I should bring his back pack carrier as well since strollers aren't great for the beach. I should have the space since we have 2 adjoining cabins. Any thoughts? Pros/cons? (Yes, I'm probably over thinking this, but I'm so EXCITED that I don't have much else on my mind! ;) )

Also, assuming we bring both, what does everyone recommend I bring on the ship for check in? I'm a little apprehensive at checking the stroller with the porters (how careful will they be?!). I'm also thinking about convenience to explore the ship (slow elevators? maybe not since we'll arrive early?).

Your thoughts are appreciated!

How old is your son and how heavy / bulky is the back pack carrier? From what you wrote I think you have one of the frame carriers -- with the metal bars and they stand up by themselves -- and if it's one of those, I think I would personally be inclined to skip it. I think they're heavy and you don't actually walk *that* far on the beach... and I've never been able to have one of those on my back for long. But I'm putting my own limitations on you :)

If you have a soft carrier I would absolutely bring it, they roll / fold up and weigh next to nothing, I was glad I brought mine (especially as I did not bring a stroller). But my kids are older (2.5 years) and walk well.

My son will be 14 months old on our trip and he weighs approximately 23 pounds. Yes, it is the frame carrier, but it is light weight (just a few pounds). I don't mind carrying my son like this, but I prefer to push him in a stroller; however, my dad LOVES toting him around in it (he carried my DD around for HOURS upon HOURS for a week when we went to Disney! He's in amazing shape.). At any rate, the "carrying" aspect isn't really an issue for us. I've also thought about bringing my sling because it takes up almost no room, but my son doesn't sleep well in it and I would be the only one able to carry him in it (unlike the back pack, no one else in the family likes the sling...:rolleyes:).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Thanks! That's what I'm afraid of... bring everything I "need" and overpacking to the hilt! lol I've decided that I'm going to bring both. As you said, better safe than sorry.

BTW, what do you think about check in process - stroller or back pack, and why?

I am absolutely NOT of the bring it in case school however in this case- bring them both. My "baby" is now nearly 17 so long past the stroller age but we travelled extensively with him when he was young and always had a stroller. We stopped when his feet dragged so much on the ground that it became dangerous. On the other hand, the backpack carrier is wonderful for many excursions and if one of you loves to carry him around in it that is a wonderful thing too. Use the stroller for all the other "stuff" and when your son needs a nap- you get a nice leisurely meal while he sleeps.

think you should skip the carrier . your child should be able to walk on the beach.

It's easier to lug the stroller to the beach, open it up, and put the baby into it... especially if there's no usable beach umbrellas around to protect the baby from the sun... The backpack carrier might lack that.

(and that's also assuming the stroller has a cover-thing)

The sun is pretty intense down in the islands.

It's easier to lug the stroller to the beach, open it up, and put the baby into it... especially if there's no usable beach umbrellas around to protect the baby from the sun... The backpack carrier might lack that.

(and that's also assuming the stroller has a cover-thing)

The sun is pretty intense down in the islands.

Thanks for your suggestion and the reminder about the sun. :) My son has very fair skin. I've bought sunscreen, swim trunks and rash guard with 50 SPF, and hats to help keep him covered. As much as I love the sun, I love the shade when at the beach (always rent an umbrella). We are not considering a beach that does not have umbrella rentals or natural shade. Hopefully this will help. :)

I've decided that I'm going to bring both on the cruise and will likely use the backpack carrier while at the beach. This will allow me to have use of both hands (I'll have 2 other kids with me!) and keep me from lugging the stroller around while trying to carry a toddler (even though I love our stroller!). If we skip the beach, then I'm definitely bringing the stroller - nice to carry all the extras.

I'm still interested in opinions on check in... am wondering if it will be nice to push my son around the ship while exploring upon check in, or if having to wait for elevators will be a hassle? My initial impression was to take the stroller and not worry about it, but, as I mentioned in my original post, I'm sure I'm overthinking all of this. ;) :rolleyes: :p

Bring the stroller for check-in...it's not a big deal! It's really no different than checking into a hotel. You'll need it until your luggage arrives!

This is what I'm thinking... it will be nice to have a place to hold my carry on too. My biggest concern was the ability to explore the ship (which we love to do on the first day) with a stroller, but I'm thinking it won't be too bad if we board early and beat the crowds. I've hear horror stories about elevator availability... :rolleyes:

Archived