Sting ray at HMC worth it?

hlb76

We have done the sting rays in Grand cayman so sure nothing will quite compete with that. This year we are cruising with your freinds and they have never been to GC but want to show there sons some ocean life. Is this excursion worth it? There boys are 5 and 2. Any info on this would be very helpful in our planning process!

We have done the sting rays in Grand cayman so sure nothing will quite compete with that. This year we are cruising with your freinds and they have never been to GC but want to show there sons some ocean life. Is this excursion worth it? There boys are 5 and 2. Any info on this would be very helpful in our planning process!

I just got back from my cruise and did this excursion. I have not done it in Grand Cayman, so can't compare to that, but I loved it. The guys who are in the water with you, will hold them so you can touch them and they also let you touch a sea snail, starfish (oops I think they are called sea stars now?).

It was the lowest price excursion I had the whole cruise but felt it was well worth it. They were also patient with young children, as there was one young child (maybe 4 or so) who was screaming and yelling to get out initially, but they actually got to stay in the water and participate.

Actual water time is prob only 30 mins, but still great.

If I figure out how to put in pictures, I will try to post a picture.

For kids that age I think it will be great.

The rays are kept in a pen in the lagoon on HMC, so the experience is nothing like seeing stingrays free in the ocean, but it is a more controlled environment for little guys.

Thanks for the replies I was on Carnivals web site and looks like you have to be 6 to even do this. Maybe we will just try to walk over there and watch.

Last time at HMC with the same couple minus there kids we got a cabana and chilled all day. This time I want to walk around and explore the island a bit more. There little ones might enjoy this as well and to just see the rays might be good for them. If not they will be playing at the water park area I'm sure. My older kids 9 & 14 will prob be right there with them.:)

We walked over to the stingray area and watched when we were there in Nov. There is also transportation back and forth from the beach area to the stingray area. We walked around to the back side of the island and then to the stingray area, and took the shuttle back. If you are going to walk around I recommend bringing insect repellant. Got a ton of mosquito bites.

If you are going to walk around I recommend bringing insect repellant. Got a ton of mosquito bites.

I second that - I was not thinking I would need insect repellent in the middle of the day at a beach. Of course in my group, I was the only person who was bit. I got more bites there than in the rainforest in Panama :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived