Train from Spain to Paris

dpspa

After the cruise we are planning to take train to Paris for two day then fly home from there. Has Anybody done this. Doing the train we thought that we could see countryside of Spain and France. Alot more expensive than flight. Just wanted to be sure it's worth it

there is only one through train (I am assuming "Spain" means Barcelona). It is a night train .. leaving at 20:20 and arriving at 9 the next morning.

I think they are down to only one reasonable daytime connection also. (a 10 hour trip leaving at 8 in the morning).

I love train travel, but you are not gong to see all that much traveling at high speeds on express and TGV trains.

I'll be on the Tren Hotel from Paris to Barcelona pre-cruise in a couple of weeks. Yes, it is a lot more expensive than flying, but we're going for the experience (and I hate airports and flying... it wastes half the day). I don't expect to see much countryside overnight though, but I'll wake up in the morning and already be in Barcelona.

We are taking the Gran Classe option with private bathroom and shower facilities and meals provided in the restaurant car. Have you googled "Seat 61"? You'll find every bit of information you could possibly need about European train travel on that website.

When comparing prices, also calculate the cost of taxis etc to and from the airports and you might find the damage isn't quite so bad... as the train stations for the Tren Hotel are fairly central and easily assessable by metro etc for connecting journeys.

If you book via the website of the French Railways SNCF

http://www.tgv-europe.com

you can get the bargains which is cheaper if you buy it in advance (3 monthes).

But if you like to see the countryside:

1. it does not make sense to use the night train - everything is dark outside.

2. if you use TGV (High Speed Train): mostly it's on seperate tracks and you will not see too much.

So you must use the slower trains like CORAIL to use the "classic" routes going through the cities and countryside

If you do your plannings: without night train and TGV if you do it to see countryside.

Regards,

HeinBloed

there is only one through train (I am assuming "Spain" means Barcelona). It is a night train .. leaving at 20:20 and arriving at 9 the next morning.

I think they are down to only one reasonable daytime connection also. (a 10 hour trip leaving at 8 in the morning).

I love train travel, but you are not gong to see all that much traveling at high speeds on express and TGV trains.

Although some people would dream not being Spanish, this doesn´t change the fact so far that Barcelona is still a part of Spain. :-)

After the cruise we are planning to take train to Paris for two day then fly home from there. Has Anybody done this. Doing the train we thought that we could see countryside of Spain and France. Alot more expensive than flight. Just wanted to be sure it's worth it

We did this a few years ago, and while it was a fine way to get to Paris, I wouldn't advise it if your intention is to "see the countryside". As others have told you, the train leaves Barcelona late at night, crosses the border and changes to different wheel configuration, and then continues to Paris.

By the time you wake up, there'll only be enough time to have coffee, gather your luggage and prepare to get off in Gare de Lyon.

However, Spanish trains are extremely comfortable and have excellent service.....

We took it from Paris to Barcelona in 2006; it was good. We (3 people) were in a 4 bed compartment. One bed was vacant and we used it to store luggage otherwise there is not too much room for it. To get a better idea on what to expect see virtual tours on the train's website http://www.elipsos.com/

Although some people would dream not being Spanish, this doesn´t change the fact so far that Barcelona is still a part of Spain. :-)

Not according to many Catalans. Of course, something similar could be said for many proudly Celtic (keltic) Galicians. :)

Actually, I was just checking if the original poster was starting to trip to France in Barcelona or some other Spanish port.

Well Abosi actually there´s a a little bit of fuss about it. People tend to confuse nationalism, with independentism which actually is not the same. They are overlapped, but most people know the limits. Even though the signs may be noisy, it´s much ado about nothing at the end.

Latest polls indicate that only a few porcentage of Catalonians would want to push further than more autonomy. In Galicia the situation is completly different. There´s a nationalistic feeling around, but not as to be more than 7 per cent of the population which want real independence. Not me of course.

Opppsss. sorry about the politics :-)

If you book via the website of the French Railways SNCF

http://www.tgv-europe.com

you can get the bargains which is cheaper if you buy it in advance (3 monthes).

But if you like to see the countryside:

1. it does not make sense to use the night train - everything is dark outside.

2. if you use TGV (High Speed Train): mostly it's on seperate tracks and you will not see too much.

So you must use the slower trains like CORAIL to use the "classic" routes going through the cities and countryside

If you do your plannings: without night train and TGV if you do it to see countryside.

Regards, HeinBloed

The points made by HeinBloed are very good and valid. The honest reality is that French train service is great in some parts of their country. BUT, in some other areas, it can be fairly marginal to average in its speed and/or views. That includes in going from Barcelona north to the Provence area.

Between Paris and Avignon, it is only a two hour and 35-40 minute trip that zooms this route by traveling up to 199 mph. On other TGV routes, the top speed is around 186 mph. These super nice and fine TGV trains are not, however, on all routes, nor to all cities. This includes between Barcelona and Avignon, etc. You've got "TRADE-OFFS" to consider. Can't see much at night, but it's easier and doesn't involve many train changes. You can see more during the day, but it is slow and has hassles. When we traveled down from Paris on the TGV, it was very smooth and enjoyable. BUT, what we saw out the windows was only "OK". It was not that much to rank as "super special". We saw lots of flat, open lands. We've taken the train from Narbonne down to Barcelona. There are some nice, scenic areas, but it is slow. Nothing is ideal or perfect.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Would like to thank everyone you responded to my request about train service from Barcelona to Paris. When I first made arrangements for this cruise I didn't explore much about the train because I was focus on shore excursion and what company to use in all the ports ( still searching cruise critic been very helpful) beside I coulded book the train it until 60 days before cruise ending. Because the train I was considering was a high speed train. I've decided to fly from Barcelona to Paris since my return home flight is out of Paris. Once again thanks to all

We took the hoteltrain from Paris to Barcelona return a few months ago ( my partner has a phobia about flying). The twin cabins are extortionately expensive and the 4 , or is it 6 berth cabins were single gender only , so we booked two seats. I'm 6'0 and there was ample legroom, just about ( the seats recline and fold out), but don't expect a great nights sleep. There is very little to be seen by way of landscape. Our outward journey was fine but on our return to Paris there was a hell of a commotion as someone was found to be sleeping in a cabin without a ticket at around 3am. He then proceeded to walk through the train to hide from the guards and since we were in the last carriage it wasn't particularly comforting to have some Algerian guy peeping through a window at you every two minutes in his lookout for guards. In the end I got up and found a couple of guards and gave them an earful until they removed him. I can't remember the exact fare, but it was much more expensive than flying would've been. However, if you are travelling from the States you really should see Paris, if it's a one off. Incidentally, if you can spare another two or three days London is only 150 minutes from Paris by train ( the Eurostar from Gare Du Nord station) with fares as low as £50 return if you book two weeks in advance :)

if you got 2 days why not drive to Paris

If you do the drive, I would use Mappy to get route maps ahead of time( http://en.mappy.com/ ). It is a European based map - route web site.

Driving would let you see and do what ever you wanted along the way. Once reaching Paris drive to the hotel, drop off luggage and then return the car.

Rich

If you do the drive, I would use Mappy to get route maps ahead of time( http://en.mappy.com/ ). It is a European based map - route web site.

Driving would let you see and do what ever you wanted along the way. Once reaching Paris drive to the hotel, drop off luggage and then return the car.

Rich

As the original poster has decided to fly - just in case other might read and interested:

Another European map:

http://www.viamichelin.com

And they have a scenic route option...

BUT if you drive: the best is to get by train to Perpignan which is the first large city in France.

Car rental is available there in the train station.

If you book a one-way car from Spain to France it's unaffordable unless you are lucky to get a French car which need to get back to France.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived