Celebrity Custom Air question

CLEMM

Is this something they just offer for Transcontinental flights? I looked on my reservation for a cruise out of San Juan next spring and didn't see any Choice Air option.

Anyone see this for flights to cruise ports in FL or San Juan?

Dorene: Wow! What a deal you got!

Thanks Larry!

I am booked for a cruise in October 2010 so the flights have become available. I have booked air through Celebrity but they won't do Custom Air until March, according to my TA. I want a direct flight and my options are limited so I am concerned that if I have to wait for Custom Air then I won't be able to get my desired flight. Is it nomal to have to wait that long to book custom air? Please don't tell me how much money I can save by going on my own. I know that, but I have my reasons for wanting to go through Celebrity. I just need to know if there is anything I can do to get this booked through them or if it is normal to have to wait.

Below is a press release on air made two days ago, perhaps it might help..

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=0000m_luWax5qhiLDRe5gXmpFBz:12hdbcveb?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2009-12-15&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

Thanks Larry!

I know!!! I wasnt sure it was correct after I did it......I called Celebrity, then Virgin Atlantic.........and the next day my Travel Agent.........it was correct. My Travel Agent said she couldnt even touch those prices. I was worried it was a mistake........

Dorene

PLEASE BE AWARE that the HEAVILY discounted tickets with Choice Air are CONSOLIDATOR tickets, with all the restrictions and drawbacks associated with MOST consolidator tickets.

While you may believe that you got a "bargain", that bargain MAY turn around to bite you if there is ANY kind of glitch. You have NO protection with a consolidator ticket AND it is often difficult to determine, even in a given fare bucket, whether you have a consolidator ticket or not. As an example, AA sells PUBLISHED fares in O and Q classes. They also use O and Q for CONSOLIDATOR tickets with heavy restrictions. You MUST read the fare rules. IF there is no wording in the fare rules about being able to ENDORSE the ticket to another airline, you have a consolidator ticket. MOST consolidator fares have NO mileage accrual.

Please read through the first pages of this sticky from the Cruise Air board to enlighten yourself about CONSOLIDATOR tickets, the NON ENDORSABILTY of those tickets, the HEAVY restrictions with those tickets and how you can end up in VERY deep doo-doo if something goes wrong.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

PLEASE BE AWARE that the HEAVILY discounted tickets with Choice Air are CONSOLIDATOR tickets, with all the restrictions and drawbacks associated with MOST consolidator tickets.

While you may believe that you got a "bargain", that bargain MAY turn around to bite you if there is ANY kind of glitch. You have NO protection with a consolidator ticket AND it is often difficult to determine, even in a given fare bucket, whether you have a consolidator ticket or not. As an example, AA sells PUBLISHED fares in O and Q classes. They also use O and Q for CONSOLIDATOR tickets with heavy restrictions. You MUST read the fare rules. IF there is no wording in the fare rules about being able to ENDORSE the ticket to another airline, you have a consolidator ticket. MOST consolidator fares have NO mileage accrual.

Please read through the first pages of this sticky from the Cruise Air board to enlighten yourself about CONSOLIDATOR tickets, the NON ENDORSABILTY of those tickets, the HEAVY restrictions with those tickets and how you can end up in VERY deep doo-doo if something goes wrong.

That was posted in 2007, I called Virgin Atlantic and was told my air is solid, I have seats and my flight has been confirmed. But I booked Choice air which based on what I have read here is different than Cruise Air. Flights change all the time my flight leaves at 10:30 pm. I am not going to worry about it.........my travel agent also stated to me my flight is confirmed.

Dorene

That was posted in 2007, I called Virgin Atlantic and was told my air is solid, I have seats and my flight has been confirmed. But I booked Choice air which based on what I have read here is different than Cruise Air. Flights change all the time my flight leaves at 10:30 pm. I am not going to worry about it.........my travel agent also stated to me my flight is confirmed.

Dorene

I wrote it. The RULES on consolidator flights HAVE NOT changed EXCEPT to get stricter. 95% of CONSOLIDATOR class tickets have the SAME rules. I own an international logistics company and deal with the airlines every day of the year. I also fly well over 100,000 miles per year, mostly international. I spend a lot of time dealing with RULES concerning various tariffs. Heavily discounted Choice Air tickets are still in the SAME fare bucket with the same rules as cruise air or just buying from a consolidator. Consolidator tickets are consolidator tickets with VERY few exceptions.

No one said your flight was not booked and confirmed. You did not pay attention. IF there is a glitch (missed connection, delayed flight, canceled flight, etc, etc), your consolidator ticket puts you are the BOTTOM of the line for re-accommodation. Your ticket is NO good on another airline UNLESS the originating airline pays IN CASH for another ticket on another airline. Few airlines in today's economy are going to do this on a cheapo ticket. You are essentially STUCK with the originating airline WHEN seats are available. Could be 2 hours or 4 days. Add in the other restrictions and you could have a problem.

I wish you good luck. Just be thoroughly prepared IF there is a glitch.

PS-I am also a non practicing transportation attorney. I DO KNOW the RULES.

wow,

you need to go back to bed and get up on the right side.......I am done on this thread too many travel gods here. I am pleased what I have and I am not going to be barked by a CRANKY WANT A BE'S. ( CAN TYPE IN CAPS TOO)

LOL your name says it all...........(lol you can think you are GREAT)

Dorene

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Larry & Bob,

As you both probably already know, the Choice Air link is on the opening page when you log into the Celebrity Cruises website.

Bob, you are right, you cannot view this site if you already have the standard flight add-on. I called my travel agent and had her cancel my air add-on so I could get into the Choice Air site.

To make a long story short I saved over $500.00 using Choice Air to fly from LAX to LHR and Orbitz to fly from MIA to LAX. This was a savings over the standard cruise air add-on, which from Los Angeles was already a pretty good price.

I did have problems trying to use the Choice Air site, The first one was minor, I could not use it to select a seat. Calling their help desk I was told to make the reservation and after getting a confirmation number to check with the airline, in this case Virgin Atlantic. Worked as advertised, I went there and selected my seats. The second problem was major to me. I tried going into the Choice Air site to make a one way flight from MIA to LAX. The site would not let me select any new flights as I already had a reservation from LAX to LHR. It would only let me review my existing reservation. Called the Choice Air help desk again and was basically told that's the way it is. BTW, booking 2 one way tickets were still much cheper than booking a multicity reservation for me in this situation.

BTW, the Celebrity fee for the international flight was $50.00 for 2 people. Also you must use the Choice Air site, not your travel agent!

I am happy with how much I saved. Choice Air was quite a bit cheaper than any consolidator site I tried. There is also verbage on the Celebrity Choice Air site that states they will assist you if you have problems with your reservation/flight, whatever that means.

I am booked for a cruise in October 2010 so the flights have become available. I have booked air through Celebrity but they won't do Custom Air until March, according to my TA. I want a direct flight and my options are limited so I am concerned that if I have to wait for Custom Air then I won't be able to get my desired flight. Is it nomal to have to wait that long to book custom air? Please don't tell me how much money I can save by going on my own. I know that, but I have my reasons for wanting to go through Celebrity. I just need to know if there is anything I can do to get this booked through them or if it is normal to have to wait.

Go to the celebrity site and look at choice air. It's a lot less expensive. Many on our 31 oct. cruise have their air and their seats. It's CHOICE AIR not custom air, two different animals, both Celebrity.

You get your choice of airlines and flights.

With Celebrity choice air you get the same guarantee that they will get you to the ship if theer is a delay and you miss the boat as with custom air!

With Celebrity choice air you get the same guarantee that they will get you to the ship if theer is a delay and you miss the boat as with custom air!

There is a thread on the main Celebrity board now that indicated Celebrity did NOT assist passengers who missed a recent cruise due to flight delays and claimed it was not their responsibility

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1112983&highlight=flight

I have insurance, that covers missed flights. Also, you are getting a great price, and honestly I would rather contact the company myself. This is no different if you booked the air yourself so I am not sure what the problem is. I always leave a day or more sooner than the day I leave for a cruise. I booked with choice air, I have a great price I couldnt get with anyone else.

Dorene

This is a FALLACY!!! The cruise lines have NO responsibility to get you to the ship. Please read your cruise contract, specifically paragraph 5. Very bluntly, the cruise lines book air as a CONVENIENCE. They have no responsibility or liability to get you to the ship when you use a third party vendor. They may try to help, but that is the extent of their responsibility.

And with the new rules in place in a LOT of travel insurance policies (air must be delayed by 5-6 hours), you really can't even count on recouping money spent to get you to the ship with travel insurance anymore.

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/cruise_ticket_contract/Celebrity_04_23_08.pdf

There is a thread on the main Celebrity board now that indicated Celebrity did NOT assist passengers who missed a recent cruise due to flight delays and claimed it was not their responsibility

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1112983&highlight=flight

good point! people really need to read what others who really have this have happened to them say...not what they think will happen.

The points that Greatam makes about air tickets and cruise contracts are all valid. What she is suggesting is to be PREPARED for possible problems. Know what you purchase and have a PLAN for something going wrong. Don't think that advertising verbiage is what will really happen. What is a lifetime guarantee?

If you booked your own air, and missed your flight..........what would be different....?

Dorene

none at all except for the most part you pay less. Choice air work may work well. Its new. I still paid less then Choice air is showing now for my flights(the difference is over $200 pp). Its much less than Celebrity was going to charge me for the same thing. X wanted $1275.00 per person. I got it for $608.pp The difference more than paid for the insurance for both of us(the difference on one flight). With the insurance I have some one to call who will work on the new arrangements for me if I get stuck somewhere. Its better than dealing with the airlines...

none at all except for the most part you pay less.

I stongly disagree. In fact, on this one, you are just plain WRONG. HUGE differences between cruise line consolidator/bulk tickets and tickets purchased as published fares. Cruise air tickets, even Custom Air, are booked in UNPUBLISHED fare classes. They are NON ENDORSABLE tickets, NO GOOD on another airline. You are STUCK with whatever arrangements the ORIGINATING airline can make for you. You CANNOT use your cruise line ticket to board another airline UNLESS the originating airline will pay in cash to the other airline. Most won't-in this day and age, other than foreign airlines, you would be hard pressed to find one who will. Your PUBLISHED fare tickets are ENDORSABLE to another carrier. BIG DIFFERENCE IF there is an airline glitch.

Even Celebrity has finally admitted that their tickets have some pretty severe restrictions. This from the Celebrity website regarding their air tickets:

"Airline tickets we issue are highly restrictive and you may find that your ticket cannot be exchanged, reissued or revalidated for another carrier or routing. Once your ticket has been issued, any changes to the ticket you request us to make shall be at our discretion and a fee may apply for each such change. You may be able to make changes by contacting the airline directly and any changes or fees imposed shall be borne by you. If you cancel your cruise after air tickets have been issued, you may be subject to airline cancellation fees"

Reissued/revalidated means the tickets are NON ENDORSABLE. It is FINALLY in black and white from the cruise line.

I stongly disagree. In fact, on this one, you are just plain WRONG. HUGE differences between cruise line consolidator/bulk tickets and tickets purchased as published fares. Cruise air tickets, even Custom Air, are booked in UNPUBLISHED fare classes. They are NON ENDORSABLE tickets, NO GOOD on another airline. You are STUCK with whatever arrangements the ORIGINATING airline can make for you. You CANNOT use your cruise line ticket to board another airline UNLESS the originating airline will pay in cash to the other airline. Most won't-in this day and age, other than foreign airlines, you would be hard pressed to find one who will. Your PUBLISHED fare tickets are ENDORSABLE to another carrier. BIG DIFFERENCE IF there is an airline glitch.

Even Celebrity has finally admitted that their tickets have some pretty severe restrictions. This from the Celebrity website regarding their air tickets:

"Airline tickets we issue are highly restrictive and you may find that your ticket cannot be exchanged, reissued or revalidated for another carrier or routing. Once your ticket has been issued, any changes to the ticket you request us to make shall be at our discretion and a fee may apply for each such change. You may be able to make changes by contacting the airline directly and any changes or fees imposed shall be borne by you. If you cancel your cruise after air tickets have been issued, you may be subject to airline cancellation fees"

Reissued/revalidated means the tickets are NON ENDORSABLE. It is FINALLY in black and white from the cruise line.

most, but not all, highly discounted tickets issued by an airline purchased directly are also non endorse-able. So if you booked your own air with the airline with the same restricted fare how would it be different? I think you MAY have misread what I wrote. I wasn't endorsing the X method.

most, but not all, highly discounted tickets issued by an airline purchased directly are also non endorse-able. So if you booked your own air with the airline with the same restricted fare how would it be different? I think you MAY have misread what I wrote. I wasn't endorsing the X method.

You cannot book a non published fare direct from the airline as a private person. And that is the key-published vs non published fare. With a non published fare, other airlines have no idea what the ticket sold for. So a tit for tat exchange is not possible per IATA/ATA agreements. CASH only to the co-operating airline. As previously posted, no US airlines will do that anymore unless you are a top tier FF or have a first/business or high economy class ticket. And as a general rule, reaccommodation during a mis connect/mechanical, etc. will go by fare class. So bottom of the fare class cruise line tickets are scrambling for the few seats on the next plane out.

The best example I can think of-AA sells PUBLISHED fare tickets in Q and O class. AA also sells NON PUBLISHED tickets in Q and O class to consolidators/tour operators on a bulk purchase basis. The fare rules are VERY different but the same fare class. One endorsable, the other not. Unless you read the fare rules (non reroutable/cannot be revalidated/reissued are the key words) you can't see the difference.

Only the published fare rules will either include an endorsable clause or omit those specific words, particularly non reroutable. When I questioned Celebrity about providing the fare rules for a one way ticket with Choice Air for a spring TA, they could not provide them which they could if they were published fare tickets. It was pretty obvious that even Choice Air tickets were consolidator class with absolutely no protections.

Archived