2 year old's first cruise!! Tips?

abbyrose

Does anyone have any tips for my hubby and I with taking our 2 year old on her first cruise? We are getting very nervous that this is going to be more stress and difficult on her and we want to make it go as smoothly as possible, from the flight to the ship and all of the above! She usually does pretty good going different places but never did an actual trip with her. I think she will love camp carnival but am nervous about her sleeping, getting scared, the flight and just the crowds that can sometimes happen! Any advice?

YOUR attitude is what will determine her comfort level...Stop stressing...if you're happy, she'll be fine.

2 year olds will "go with the flow", if you allow her to! There are no more "crowds" on the ship than in a grocery store or mall. Surely, she doesn't "freak out" about going to those places, does she?

Just try to maintain her normal schedule, as much as possible, and if you can't...that's ok---she'll adjust!

Don't let your fears transfer to your child....she'll be fine...will you?

YOUR attitude is what will determine her comfort level...Stop stressing...if you're happy, she'll be fine.

2 year olds will "go with the flow", if you allow her to! There are no more "crowds" on the ship than in a grocery store or mall. Surely, she doesn't "freak out" about going to those places, does she?

Just try to maintain her normal schedule, as much as possible, and if you can't...that's ok---she'll adjust!

Don't let your fears transfer to your child....she'll be fine...will you?

This is so true.....I have two boys super afraid of spiders because I am....and they are way more cautious about everything because of me....yup, however you react....is definately how your child will react!

Both my kids took their first cruise at 2yo. My social butterfly daughter loved all the attention and trying the different foods. The staff and other passengers were so fawning it was a little embarrassing.

My son is a lot less out-going. He found his own wayto have fun where there weren't as many people around. We spent a lot of time at the arcade where he loved the flashing lights and dancing to the music. He wasn't toilet trained so not allowed into the pool, so we just used the little watering can from his sandcastle kit to sprinkle him with water which he stomped around in happily.

With both we took a doll stroller and doll/stuffed animal. We used it for walking them around the decks. Also a portable dvd player and dvds of shows they normally watch. Great for both the plane and cruise and it helps to keep some of their routine.

If you can afford it, get a balconey cabin. It'll allow you to have some private time when she's sleeping. Both my kids also loved playing on it and we usually just brought food from the buffet and had breakfast out there.

One thing we did was to take our time. This past cruise to Aaska with a 6yo & 2yo we split up for most of the excursions. My husband did the more adventurous ones with our 6yo daughter and I took my son out for walks and did bus tours. At dinner we traded-off. When my son got tired of our long dinners in the diningroom, my husband took him back to our cabin and had his meal sent up.

All 4 of my kids started flying at 2 months. My youngest took her first cruise at 18 months then again at 2 and our next cruise at just under 3. If you can, try and potty train your child before the cruise so they can use the pool and/or water park areas. Even when my kids couldnt go in the pools, they were always so busy with minigolf and just exploring the ship and people watching. I never brought toys but did bring the stroller for excursions. My 2 yr old loved camp carnival. Unfortunately my 3 yr old preferred to stay with mom and dad. We prefer an inside cabin which are great for afternoon naps and the money saved would go towards excursions. Kids are so adaptable and go with they flow that you should have no problem, just relax and enjoy the family time.

Spend time now talking through some of the "strange" things she may encounter -- security screening at the airport, embark/debark processes on the ship, the "bracelet" she'll need to wear for ID, and the dining room and buffet processes.

Even if they don't seem to understand everything we tell them, a lot more sinks in than we imagine. At the airport and on the dock/ship get down to her level and talk her through the process again. Have dad or other traveling companions show her what they are doing. Have one parent walk through the scanner and wait for her. Have her walk through the scanner and reassure her that you will be behind her.

Be very matter-of-fact in your discussions -- also let her know these are RULES and not negotable.

Think through the clothes she wears (shoes should be easy-on and easy-off for example). Think through what she will carry in her backpack/carryon.

Pre-packaged snacks that she is familar with. Some new (or new to her) smallish travel toys. Portable DVD or movies downloaded onto an iPod help. Some familar toys and don't forget her PSSF (particularly special stuffed friend)

Relax -- as others have said, your attitude and concerns transfer to your kids. It will be fine.

Thanks everyone!! I know when I stress, she stresses so I'll have to keep my stress level low for her! She's usually pretty social but she gets nervous about new places, I'm mainly scared of the flying with her. We have been talking for months now about the plane, the buses we will take and the ship, we've showed her videos of our last cruise without her along with pictures and she loved those. She is potty trained!! So she will LOVE the pool, she's a water baby, always has been!

I feel better about it now, Thanks a lot for all your advice! :)

Archived