Oasis Entertainment and Cruise Director

pauljenna

With the Oasis having so many different entertaimnent venus what part does the cruise director play in these. What I mean is usually he kicks of the nights entertainmet. I assume that he/she no longer does this. Also are there no longer welcome aboard or farewell shows and if they are are they different than other ships?

Ken Rush the Cruise Director for Oasis (formerly on Freedom!) is excellent. He will intro most of the main entertainment shows/features, i.e., Frozen in Time, Hair Spray, Oasis of Dreams, etc. (Bajathree---above---is full of poop! How anyone cannot like Ken Rush is beyone my imagination. Don't put garbage on this website Bajathree.) Yes, no more traditional welcome aboard greeting, captain's welcome celebration for return passengers or farewell events that I am aware of. All ships are having to work harder and leaner with this still very sour economy. Same goes for towel art in rooms, pillow mints, turn-down bed service, late evening specialty buffets, etc. If you're doing a voyage of more than a week, some---not all---of the former perks will return depending on the cruise line and length of cruise.

Denny

We had Ken Rush on the Dec 1st sailing....he was terrible.

I agree with Steve here Ken Rush was bad.

Captain Bill Wright did a better job on communicating then Ken did.

Plus Ken was not very energetic as well as picking and choosing who he spoke to not just being friendly to everyone like deck hands and people working down the hallways.

I know Ken probably has more on his plate than anyone can imagine but so does everyone else on this huge ship.

I know some people may feel different about Ken but then I would have to ask you were you wearing your diamond pin?

Ken seemed to ignore folks who did not have status onboard.

Nothing against those members who have diamond level pins.

Cruise directors should just not pick and choose who they speak to or even say hello to.

Not when every deck hand or everyone else takes the time to at least say hi.

Ken was a non presense on the Oasis.

Thank goodness for Captain Bill and his wonderful warm personality.

At the 70's show I was wondering why Ken bothered to show up.

Sorry dont mean to be harsh but when watching this guy I wondered why they used him on the Oasis.

Ken was nothing more than a glorified MC.

And even with that he was not very good or sincere.

At least thats my opinion and my experience.

Peace

Tim:cool:

Ken Rush the Cruise Director for Oasis (formerly on Freedom!) is excellent. He will intro most of the main entertainment shows/features, i.e., Frozen in Time, Hair Spray, Oasis of Dreams, etc. (Bajathree---above---is full of poop! How anyone cannot like Ken Rush is beyone my imagination. Don't put garbage on this website Bajathree.) Yes, no more traditional welcome aboard greeting, captain's welcome celebration for return passengers or farewell events that I am aware of. All ships are having to work harder and leaner with this still very sour economy. Same goes for towel art in rooms, pillow mints, turn-down bed service, late evening specialty buffets, etc. If you're doing a voyage of more than a week, some---not all---of the former perks will return depending on the cruise line and length of cruise.

Denny

No poop here...I always tell it straight up;)....he was terrible....plain and simple. Total lack of enthusiasm....acted more like he had to be there than he wanted to...I noticed this on just about everything he did.

Denny

There was a welcome aboard show held in two venues from 7:30 - 8:30pm on the Dec 5 sailing. It was in the Aqua Theatre and Studio B. DH and I first went to the Aqua Theatre but it was a bit chilly so we rushed to Studio B to watch it in there.

They had a live feed to both venues and Ken Rush made an appearance and spoke at both. His Asst Anna was at the venue when he was not.

The audience could see what was going on at both. At Studio B the ice skaters did a mini Michael Jackson tribute and a mini water show was done at the Aqua Theatre. I enjoyed it

I did not see a Farewll Show in the compass and looked for it. I wanted to view the Cruise In Review DVD but did not see this at all.

They did have the Captain' Welcome reception in the Royal Promenade on the first formal evening and the Captain posed for photos and spoke from the bridge that rolls out from the Globe atop the Globe & Atlas pub. Champagne and wine was served.

They also had a repeaters reception held in the Opal Theatre for Platinum. Diamond and D+ guests and they had waiters with trays of drinks like champagne and wine as you entered. The theatre was full.

The Quest game was held late at midnight which was different. For the first time since I have been going it was not packed but still very fun to watch

No poop here...I always tell it straight up;)....he was terrible....plain and simple. Total lack of enthusiasm....acted more like he had to be there than he wanted to...I noticed this on just about everything he did.

Have to agree with you on this Steve.

Normally I am a fan of Ken Rush but on both Oasis sailings I thought he was very tired and lacked his usual buzz...he just seemed "off"

Ken isn't no John Heald...I tell you that.

SCOOP, John Heald (of Carnival fame) has to be in my mind the best cruise director of all time, all lines.

DW and I last had John on the Carnival Destiny back in 1998 and he was fantastic. On the first night, he picked an older gentleman from the crowd and had the man run up on the stage and scream "I love you Mary!" (The gentleman's wife) each time Heald said "peaches". (The gentleman and his wife were from Georgia.) This went on every night and every show. The gentleman was there each time. He became THE hit of the cruise. Everyone greeted the guy and his wife all week where ever they went. The last night, Heald brought the man and his wife up on stage and showered them with gifts, not just the normal cruise junk, but a diamond necklace and other jewelry and a free cruise!

Heald's bedtime story that included several audience participants was also a howl.

John had retired, I hear, but he is still the best to us.

Sure hope we have a good CD on the Oasis in April 2010.

----------------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

Proud RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

We are proud Oasis Camel Cruiser – April 17, 2010

The Oasis Camels Website

Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - April 17, 2010

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

Princess Cruises - The Med – 14 day – 2013?

Totally agree he was just terrible, did you see him on the love and marriage game...no enthusiasm...he was not funny at all should have let one of the CD staff do it.

Totally agree he was just terrible, did you see him on the love and marriage game...no enthusiasm...he was not funny at all should have let one of the CD staff do it.

Ron and Sue.....I didn't see him doing the love and marriage game but I did see him on TV interviewing Capt Bill and it was as terrible....but ya know what.....ALL the entertainment on Oasis was so top notch and we were with such fun people that it really didn't matter;) we made our own party:D but still he was lack luster all right.

• 3 weeks later...

We have sailed with Ken Rush many times over the last 18 years & have had some interesting conversations with him. He was wonderful in the beginning but he has definately changed over the years. He has defiantely lost his enthusiasm. I was on the first sailing of the Oasis & had a brief conversatin with him. The spark is definately gone. He seemed tired and depressed. It's sad because he was the best that RCI had. That's why he debuted all of the new ships :(

Archived