sending passport info via email to St. Pete tour group

GAJE

I have booked a tour for several people with a well-known private tour company in St. Petersburg. I now need ro send my passport number via email. I really had not given much thought as to how safe this would be. Now we are getting some strange junk emails, such as "Russian Brides". I am wondering how badly my email address, its contents, etc. have been compromised. How have those of you who have booked with these companies handled the communication of passport information? Am I being unduly paranoid? Any insight on this subject would be greatly appreciated!!

Betty

When I send emails to people/entities I do not know well, I use "throw-away" email addresses. Yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc. I do the same thing when an email address is required for sign-up on a website. That way, if an email gets sold or otherwise distributed, it is harmless to me.

If you are worried about personal information being intercepted in an email, there are several options offering some degree of protection. These include:

--splitting the information into two or more separate emails. For example, send half your credit card number in one email and half in other.

-- sending the information in a graphic

-- encrypt the message. This obviously requires cooperation on the other end.

If the worry is the recipient is doing evil stuff with your information, there is little you can to to prevent it.

If you mention the tour guides name others can confirm the email address you have for them is correct.

You do need to send your passport number in order for them to get the visa for your visit otherwise you will have to

1)stay onboard

2)go with a ship's tour.

3) get your own visa

I am dealing with Anastasia @ Anastasia Travel [anastasiadavidova@yahoo.com]. I really think I have the right address because of the numerous emails back and forth. I remember many of you have used her (like TLCOhio). Terry, how did you handle passport info?

My experience is that I E-mailed the required info (Name, Date arriving and departing, ship's name, and passport info) to our tour offices and have had zero problems. No mysterious junk mail and no evidence of any other exploitation of the information. We correspond probably once every ten days or so with either questions from me or updates from them on what we may expect and if our tour size has changed.

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience.

I am dealing with Anastasia @ Anastasia Travel [anastasiadavidova@yahoo.com]. I really think I have the right address because of the numerous emails back and forth. I remember many of you have used her (like TLCOhio). Terry, how did you handle passport info?

We e-mailed the info to Anastasia on the date of birth and passport numbers, etc. No problems! Everything was smooth and easy. No e-mail spam, etc. A passport number doesn't do much. It's not like you are send the actual passport and/or other documents that could be copied, forged, adjusted, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

There seems to be another Anastasia that serves the "Russian Bride" market. I know I kept running into them when looking up Anastasia last summer. Maybe somehow you got your contacts crossed? I hope one of the many people who has written rave reviews of their experience with Anastasia can confirm the email address, web site etc. Good luck. We worked with a private guide setting up her own copany and had asolutely no problems with the emailed passport information. It really is standard operating procedure for a private tour.

There seems to be another Anastasia that serves the "Russian Bride" market. I know I kept running into them when looking up Anastasia last summer. Maybe somehow you got your contacts crossed? I hope one of the many people who has written rave reviews of their experience with Anastasia can confirm the email address, web site etc. Good luck. We worked with a private guide setting up her own copany and had asolutely no problems with the emailed passport information. It really is standard operating procedure for a private tour.

Here's the contact info that I have:

info@anastasiaworld.com

anastasiadavidova@yahoo.com

• 4 weeks later...

We are dealing with Alla Tours for our CC St. Petes tour - they don't use email for correspondence. They have a separate secure site that you have to log on to in order to access the info there.

Makes me feel more secure sending this info to them.

However, they all need your info (including passport#) to get your visa for Russia - so a necessary evil.

Good luck!

Keep one other thing in mind about your passport information, etc.

It is not like you social security number or bank account details.

When you enter Russia or many other countries, the passport control officer takes photographs or records the details of your passport, and there is no assurance that they will keep that confidential. So, if you travel a lot, your details are there for the world to see.

If a criminal wanted to use the details what would he/she do with it? Make a new passport? But why would he use your name and picture?

Personally I would not worry about sending the details to a tour company.

Keep one other thing in mind about your passport information, etc. It is not like you social security number or bank account details. When you enter Russia or many other countries, the passport control officer takes photographs or records the details of your passport, and there is no assurance that they will keep that confidential. So, if you travel a lot, your details are there for the world to see. If a criminal wanted to use the details what would he/she do with it? Make a new passport? But why would he use your name and picture? Personally I would not worry about sending the details to a tour company.

Well summarized and 100% on target by Lair Bear!!! We did our passport numbers when we booked our tour with Anastasia and it was easy, no risk. The problem or danger is any e-mailing of your credit card info. I would only do that by sending that info broken into two different parts/mailings separated by several hours of time. That's the best protection for this circumstance or potential problem.

Well summarized and 100% on target by Lair Bear!!! We did our passport numbers when we booked our tour with Anastasia and it was easy, no risk. The problem or danger is any e-mailing of your credit card info. I would only do that by sending that info broken into two different parts/mailings separated by several hours of time. That's the best protection for this circumstance or potential problem.

Interesting point Terry. It makes me wonder if this is why payment in person became the norm as is currently being discussed on another thread. If Russian internet access becomes spotty at times who would want to risk their credit card info by paying in advance?

Interesting point Terry. It makes me wonder if this is why payment in person became the norm as is currently being discussed on another thread. If Russian internet access becomes spotty at times who would want to risk their credit card info by paying in advance?

YES!!! Exactly correct and on target. The Internet protections in Russia and some other places are not perfect or ideal. Why pay in advance, for many smart and wise reasons???

Archived