Port of Miami-Luggage Handling

nyminute

Arriving at POM by taxi with large and carry-on luggage for four of us.. Where and who do I give large bags to for transfer to Pearl. Is this outside or inside check-in building and with NCL uniformed personnel or POM dock personnel?

There'll be plenty of port porters there with plenty of carts to load the luggage right into. They're all lined up right where the taxis drop you off. Just be sure you have a couple dollars per bag to tip the porters. It's a crazy, hectic place and the whole drop off will go so fast it'll feel like a whirlwind.

Have a great cruise!

Paula

We have sailed out of 6 different ports. Everyone had staff right there as you get out of the car/taxi/whatever. They take your bags and away you go. I think they are usually dock or contract workers vs. actual NCL employees.

Make your life easier and be ready with

- small bills

- your paperwork handy if needed. Probably will not need until entering building

- ready to separate carryon items from checked bags

(do not even thing about repacking here - it is too busy)

As indicated by an earlier poster, it all happens fast and is done before you know what happens.

LISTEN to the Porter if he is telling you about where to go. He's also going to remind you to take your passports and any other important papers out of your checked bags. If you lose a ship tag on the way, don't panic. The porter will make you a new one.

The porters frequently get a bad rap, but they've always been professional and friendly towards me.

LISTEN to the Porter if he is telling you about where to go. He's also going to remind you to take your passports and any other important papers out of your checked bags. If you lose a ship tag on the way, don't panic. The porter will make you a new one.

The porters frequently get a bad rap, but they've always been professional and friendly towards me.

same with me $2 a bag makes most of them smile;)

We have had the worst experiences with porters on arrival to the ship at the Port of Miami.

Some are decent and helpful, but most are out for one thing - tips.

Our experience is that they prey on those they can through insinuation (and yes intimidation at times) that somehow your bags will get better handling/service. (Especially the elderly)

Remember, all they are doing is putting the luggage in a container that then gets fork lifted to the ship. There is no personal delivery or guarantee here. That is what they are paid to do.

The real racket is the coordination of the porters and the bus drivers that are bringing in loads of cruisers who bought transfers and or airfare through the cruise line from the airport.

The bus driver will leave you sitting on the bus while he gets all the bags out and lined up.

Then as you depart the bus, the bus driver will remind you to tip the driver for doing his job.

There will be plenty of porters outside the bus as well with their hands out along with the bus driver. The spiels they tell are well thought out and practiced regularly.

The comments above about the whirlwind of activity is spot on. Be prepared with your documents completed, passports etc. You cannot enter the check in buildings without showing your cruise ticket and ID. (And then you will need this info again at check in)

I always tip a cab driver, van driver, etc. to handle my (sometimes heavy) luggage, so I'd tip a bus driver, too. Sure, I'd only tip a buck or so, but something. When he or she has to retire at age 50 with horrible back problems from hauling luggage, pretty sure he/she won't be rolling in the dough during retirement.

I hate to state the obvious , But make sure your taxi drops you infront of "your " ship. At the POM they can line the ships up six in a row on a bad day.

We had 5 in port one time and it was the biggest mess.

I know , Im just sayin.........;)

We have had the worst experiences with porters on arrival to the ship at the Port of Miami.

Some are decent and helpful, but most are out for one thing - tips.

Our experience is that they prey on those they can through insinuation (and yes intimidation at times) that somehow your bags will get better handling/service. (Especially the elderly)

Remember, all they are doing is putting the luggage in a container that then gets fork lifted to the ship. There is no personal delivery or guarantee here. That is what they are paid to do.

The real racket is the coordination of the porters and the bus drivers that are bringing in loads of cruisers who bought transfers and or airfare through the cruise line from the airport.

The bus driver will leave you sitting on the bus while he gets all the bags out and lined up.

Then as you depart the bus, the bus driver will remind you to tip the driver for doing his job.

There will be plenty of porters outside the bus as well with their hands out along with the bus driver. The spiels they tell are well thought out and practiced regularly.

The comments above about the whirlwind of activity is spot on. Be prepared with your documents completed, passports etc. You cannot enter the check in buildings without showing your cruise ticket and ID. (And then you will need this info again at check in)

WOW !! Never experienced anyone with their hand out and I was never intimidated to give out tips. Anytime I drop off our luggage I tell the Porter "take good care of these babies" and hand him a 5 dollar bill. Most, on average, tip a couple bucks.

Maybe it's just me but, I figure when I spend upwards of $600. for a round trip flight and the cost of the cruise, drinks, etc, etc, hotel, blah, blah,........an extra 5 bucks is pretty cheap insurance. (although nothing is guaranteed of course but,...........there was this one time...at band camp.........:D

Archived