Grand Turk, SJ, St. Thomas, HMC with kids?

MamaParrotHead

HMC is a beach day---there's really no need to pay for any excursion there! Just enjoy the beach and food!

SJ is a good "walking" tour place....no excursion needed there!

In St. Thomas, a trip to St. John is in order...it's the most gorgeous beach I've EVER seen---the water is so clear and warm, it's hard to tell you're even IN the water....so that "weightless" feel you get is really odd!

Mamaparrot--

We've taken the kids to all of those ports, and can share the following:

San Juan--Walk up to the fort. (Pics/review in my Carnival Freedom review). On the way, don't forget to stop for an authentic shaved ice.

HMC--Beach day! There are several fun, but small, water slides, and many climb-on oversized animals anchored in the water.

St. Thomas--day trip to St. John. You can do this on your own for half the cost of the ship tour but it requires a lot of planning (see St. Thomas board.) I'd recommend the ship tour to St. John. Also, we once took an EcoTour through Shore Trips, and went to the nearby Eco Park where we explored the tidal pools (cool clams and starfish), had hermit crabs races, and went snorkeling and kayaking. Fun!

Grand Turk--great beach day right at the pier. Tons of chairs, and if you get off the ship early enough, you can score a clamshell to sit under. The beach is located on the left hand side of the pier, but if you go right, you will find numerous conch shells. It's insane there are so many!

No matter what you do, you are sure to have fun!

--CeleBrat

We have the same itinerary booked Feb 6th. I hope there are other kids on then too. We're planning on soaking up the beaches and bringing a lot of sand toys. Our kids are 8 and 3.5. HMC is unbeatable. I have never been to a beach so beautiful.

Trunk Bay on St. John. Great beach and great (and shallow) underwater snorkelling trail with underwater signs! Be prepared for 45-minute local ferry ride from St. Thomas to St. John. Same thing on the way back. HMC - the most beautiful beach of all the private islands!

I would agree that HMC is a perfect beach day. There is no need to do an excursion there. We did not have the kids with us but it is the one stop that made me think, "we have to bring the kids back here!" Some other posted recommended Grand Turk as another beach day. You could also use the pool at Margarittaville. If you wanted to do an actual excusrsion I would suggest doing the Sting Ray tour. The kids would get a kick out of it and it is safe enough for your 5 year old. The boat takes you to a little beach and you stand in the water. No swimming required. This was one of my favorite excursions and the water was beautiful! We did the Reef and Ray tour but I wouldn't suggest the "Reef" part with younger kids that aren't great swimmers. They stop the boat out in the middle of the ocean and you get out and snorkel. Super fun but not the best idea of you aren't a real strong swimmer. Have a great time!

We just came back from a surprise stop in Grand Turk. We really loved it. We didn't go into town (the port appears to be owned by CCL) but they have a nice beach right by the ship. But the real gem is if you are willing to walk down the beach (to the right a ways)...it comes to this fantasic white sand point. And, the biggest bonus for the kids is on the walk there, you pass thousands, and I mean thousands of conch shells. It is fun searching for one that is still in great shape.

When we were there, we took a snorkel trip through the cruise line - since it was a surprise stop, we had no real choice. They took us to two places, the second of which was the best snorkeling I have ever experienced. The water was a little rough though, so you wouldn't want to do it unless everyone is a good swimmer.

Did the same ports two years in a row.

San Juan I would do the forts or rain forest. Last year we just took the free trolly up to El Morro fort. Explored the fort and then walked back exploring and shopping along the way. This year we rented a car from the Hertz rental agency in the Sheraton across the street from the port, and drove to the Rain Forest explored this. Then we went to the beach and San Cristobal fort before returning the car.

Half Moon Cay-Beach day

Grand Turk (missed the port last year due to rough seas) We dove here, but you could also set up a private snorkel trip. The dive company we used does snorkel trips too (Blue Water Divers). The family that travelled with us this year rented a golf cart and explored the island and beaches on their own.

St. Thomas- If your family likes to snorkel, cab to Secret Harbor. Beach was uncrowded plenty fo fish to see and water calm.

Have a Great trip You will enjoy yourselves no matter what you choose:D:D

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like everyone likes the beach right at the pier in Grand Turk-correct? I would like to go somewhere that is clean, has restrooms and the water is shallow/gradually sloped.

We are also looking for a beach to go to in St Martin. When we werent taking a little one along we would go to Orient beach. Now we would like something more child friendly.

Any advice?

If you don't want to deal with going to St John you could easily take your kids to coral world in St Thomas and then go right nest door to Coki beach. I am not sure if things have changes in 10 years since we went on our honeymoon but St Thomas (and Coki Beach) was our favorite. The water was SO clear... you can see your feet when you are up to your neck in the water. The guys on the beach renting gear gave us some dog biscuits to put in the water and within seconds we were surrounded by fish! There is always Magens Bay too.

http://stthomasusvi.thebeach.vi/coki-point-beach.html

HMC is a beach day! If you have room in your luggage bring some beach toys with you. We went to the Dollar Tree and bought some stuff to make a sand castle. We were the hit with all the kids around. Everyone was asking if you could buy those toys some where! This was my boys favorite day!

Gand Turk, we just stayed at the beach right by the pier. There is also a pool right there that you can use and my boys loved swimming in the pool!! They also did the flowrider there and love it! Ther were a little young to really enjoy it but still liked it! My husband can't wait to get to do the flowrider again sometime!

If you don't want to deal with going to St John you could easily take your kids to coral world in St Thomas and then go right nest door to Coki beach. I am not sure if things have changes in 10 years since we went on our honeymoon but St Thomas (and Coki Beach) was our favorite. The water was SO clear... you can see your feet when you are up to your neck in the water. The guys on the beach renting gear gave us some dog biscuits to put in the water and within seconds we were surrounded by fish! There is always Magens Bay too.

http://stthomasusvi.thebeach.vi/coki-point-beach.html

I was trying to remember the name of this beach. We really enjoyed our day there. It is not the most beautiful beach nor is it very big. The beauty of this area is the clear water and all the fish. We really saw some great colorful fish and it was a super day with the kids. Coral World is right next door too.

Archived