Carnival Travelers Insurance Pro's and Con's

Chacooe

I am looking at different travel insurance plans and I was wondering if any member of Cruise Critic can give me the Pro's and Con's of going with the insurance or going with a different company. I think what I am asking is for would you use Carnival Travelers insurance again.

I am looking at different travel insurance plans and I was wondering if any member of Cruise Critic can give me the Pro's and Con's of going with the insurance or going with a different company. I think what I am asking is for would you use Carnival Travelers insurance again.

Trip Insurance

The Carnival Berkely Policy offers very low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (but DOES offer Future Cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as due to Pre-Existing Condition) and as of 7/01/2009 includes cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning, and cancellation coverage for Job Layoff. If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. Carnival and Berkely both CLAIM that the Policy also covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is a good deal financially (only) if you're in upper 60's or over, as Age is not factored into the Premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer much higher coverages are much less expensive if you're younger, and generally offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of Cruise Deposit (CSA and HTH allow you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver). Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health/Homeowners Insurance and the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to limits of the policy). If you're traveling with kids, checkout TravelEx and TravelInsured, who insure Kids free with insured adults.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed cruise for flite delay.

TravelInsured includes kids insured free with insured adult.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

ken

Carnival's insurance is very expensive. You'll find much better deals by doing your own research. I always recommend insuremytrip.com. The only "pro" to carnival's insurance is that you have no out of pocket expenses if you need medical care on the ship. With other insurance you'll have to pay and submit a claim to get reimbursed. Otherwise you'oll find the coverage similar.

Carnival's insurance is very expensive. You'll find much better deals by doing your own research. I always recommend insuremytrip.com. The only "pro" to carnival's insurance is that you have no out of pocket expenses if you need medical care on the ship. With other insurance you'll have to pay and submit a claim to get reimbursed.

[gtalum - Are you sure about this? I know that when Carnival feels some "liability" for an injury they pick-up the Infirmary tab and you don't see a bill, but otherwise I'm under the impression the infirmary will charge your S&S and give you a bill, regardless of which Travel Insurance you have???? I don't see this in the Policy or any Carnival docs???]

Otherwise you'oll find the coverage similar.

IMO Carnival's Policy is pretty weak on Medical coverage and MedEvac coverage and is much more expensive (for less coverage) if you're "younger". As you exceed age 65 or so, the Carnival Policy becomes less expensive than the 3rd party policies and a better financial deal (still not great coverages, tho).

IMO the "Plusses" of the Carnival Policy are the recent Hurricane Warning and Job Layoff cacellation coverages, Refund of Premium if you cancel your cruise, and at least a future Cruise CREDIT in lieu of refund for pre-existing condition.

I recently discovered that The Carnival Medical coverage DOES extend past the cruise for a year of follow-on coverage, but that several of the 3rd Party polcies only cover emergency expenses during the cruise and don't cover follow-on treatment at home!

thanks, Ken

I'm fairly certain that if you have insurance purchased directly from Carnival then you have no out of pocket expenses for medical care onboard. I know it used to be the case anyway. I haven't looked at a Carnival policy since my first cruise, though, back in 2005, so it could have changed.

I'm fairly certain that if you have insurance purchased directly from Carnival then you have no out of pocket expenses for medical care onboard. I know it used to be the case anyway. I haven't looked at a Carnival policy since my first cruise, though, back in 2005, so it could have changed.

If it was actually documented in the Policy years ago, it's definitely since been deleted from the Policy. There IS a guarantee of advance payment of $1000 to Hospital if required for admission.

I'm thinking that a lot of people assume that Carnival, the Infirmiry and Berkely Insurance are all the "same" - but the Infirmiry is supposedly another "independent" operation and Berkely Insurance definitely isn't Carnival.

Anyway....IMO it would be a bad idea to buy the Berkely Policy on assumption that there won't be any out-of-pocket medical expenses for the Infirmiry, without first verifying same.

ken

We now use other insurance based on the coverage and cost. As others have stated just do a comparison. Do a google.

We did have a small incidant where the wife needed medical assistance while on the Carnival Pride. (I think). Some knee exay. Proved nothing major so remaining part of cruise did not need cancelled. We had to pay the cost to Carnival but they gave all the paper work. We just submitted the paper work to trip insurance company we purchased for the cruise and we were reimbured. No questions asked. However it was not a major bill.

I usually don't purchase the insurance until final payment due. I have no problem with that.

I called the insurance company and was told that I would have to pay everything up front, then submit the bills to my own insurance first to see if they will pay any part of it, if not then they will pay. If I am sent to a hospital in another country, they will guarantee the first $1,000 and then you have to submit the rest to your private insurance first, then to them. She said that it would take about 60 to 90 days before final reimbursement is paid to the passenger.

This makes me wonder about people who don't have the money to pay Carnival's doc up front, what do they do in that case.

I called the insurance company and was told that I would have to pay everything up front, then submit the bills to my own insurance first to see if they will pay any part of it, if not then they will pay. If I am sent to a hospital in another country, they will guarantee the first $1,000 and then you have to submit the rest to your private insurance first, then to them. She said that it would take about 60 to 90 days before final reimbursement is paid to the passenger. That's how it works. If you have private Health Insurance, you'll have to submit your claim to them, then the Trip Insurance will pay what they don't reimburse. You CAN avoid this by buying PRIMARY Trip Insurance (TravelEx and Patriot) , which pays all expenses and does not require you to submit to your Insurance.

This makes me wonder about people who don't have the money to pay Carnival's doc up front, what do they do in that case. Goes on your Credit Card or you'll have to sign a payment plan/agreement before disembarkation.

Ken

I called the insurance company and was told that I would have to pay everything up front, then submit the bills to my own insurance first to see if they will pay any part of it, if not then they will pay. If I am sent to a hospital in another country, they will guarantee the first $1,000 and then you have to submit the rest to your private insurance first, then to them. She said that it would take about 60 to 90 days before final reimbursement is paid to the passenger.

This makes me wonder about people who don't have the money to pay Carnival's doc up front, what do they do in that case.

Since any up-front guarantee is made prior to the claims documents being reviewed and approved, the upfront payment is in the form of a personal loan to the traveler. If your claim is denied you have to pay it back. Plus, they will only advance the money if you have no other way of making the payment to the doctor/hospital. If your credit cards can handle it you're expected to use them prior to the insured fronting the money. This is true of all insurers that provide this benefit.

Con

Too darn expensive. Can get better coverage for less $$

For some cruisers in the upper age brackets the cost of the Carnival/Berkley policy can actually be lower than most third-party plans as they do not charge according to age. Yes, third-party insurance plans have higher limits on the medical and emergency evacuation benefits, but if the traveler already has that covered through his/her regular insurance that's less of a factor. 75 years or older it's always at least worth comparing after checking whatever coverage is already in place.

Actually many Policies state they only post the $1000 guarantee if the Hospital Requires up-front money to admit/treat you - otherwise you'd be responsible for everything.

One way around this is to purchase Trip Insurance from an insurer (like CSA) that has Networks in most/all locations where the facilities will generally accept/submit that Insurance. No such thing for the Infirmary aboard ship where you might well be forced to put the expenses on your Credit Card and pay interest until you get your Insurance reimbursement.

ken

For some cruisers in the upper age brackets the cost of the Carnival/Berkley policy can actually be lower than most third-party plans as they do not charge according to age. Yes, third-party insurance plans have higher limits on the medical and emergency evacuation benefits, but if the traveler already has that covered through his/her regular insurance that's less of a factor. 75 years or older it's always at least worth comparing after checking whatever coverage is already in place.

When I last looked at this, I think the "cross-over was somewhere in upper 60's or maybe at 70. Sometime ago I checked premiums for a fellow in upper, upper 70's who was complaining of the 3rd party premium, and found his 3rd party premium to be 2.5+ times as much as the cruiseline's Policy.

ken

Chacooe - So........ to help you pinpoint a policy (the more specifics you can provide, the better the recommendation!):

1. Are you a "younger" cruiser or an "older" cruiser?
  2. Are you going to be cruising with kids that you want to Insure?
  3. Do you have any concerns about having to cancel due to Layoff or cancellation of Military Orders?
  4. Do you and Traveling Companions have ANY health issues in the last 6 months? Same for Family members at Home?
  5. Do you have airfare that you want to insure? Are you using Frequent Flyer miles?
  6. Do you have any specific concerns/scenarios that you want to insure against?
  7. Are you more than 14-21 days past Cruise Deposit? You're not Past the Final Payment Deadline?
  8. Do you have Health Insurance with any Out-of-Country Benefits?
  9. Does the Credit Card that you already charged your deposit to (and could pay-off the cruise balance with) have any Flight AD&D, Trip Cancellation/Interruption and/or Baggsage Loss/Delay Benefits?

ken

Archived