Group Cruise Perfect for Families - Oasis January 2011

ctcruiser1721

Hi all,

I would like to know if there is any interest in a Cruise Critic group cruise on the Oasis. I just returned from the 12/5 inaugural sailing. I cruised with my husband, 1 year old daughter, and 16 year old son.

I found the Oasis to be the perfect family ship. It is RCCL's first ship with a nursey and the nursey couldn't have been a better experience for our daughter. The staff and program were great and I think it would be nice if several of us with kids were on the same sailing.

I've done some preliminary research and it looks like the 1/22/11 Western itenerary has the best rates. Please share any interest/thoughts/questions you might have.

Thanks!

2011 will be my year for Oasis (maybe Allure). But I think I am personally holding off until the fall of 2011. But I wanted to know, did you write a review of your experience on Oasis?

And the big question many have around here...did Oasis have a "Baby Splash Zone" just for non-potty trained tots?

2011 will be my year for Oasis (maybe Allure). But I think I am personally holding off until the fall of 2011. But I wanted to know, did you write a review of your experience on Oasis?

And the big question many have around here...did Oasis have a "Baby Splash Zone" just for non-potty trained tots?

Hi,

I have not yet completed a review of Oasis but I plan to do so soon.

There was a Baby Splash Zone for those that are still in the swim diapers. It was very nice. It is heated similar to a nice, warm bath. Unfortunately, my daughter hated it.

Ann Marie

Sounds like fun. I can't go until the end of March / first of April when my grandkids are on spring break. Prices are higher then of course :(

Actually for 2011 I'm booked on the Oasis March 26, and also the Liberty of the Seas April 2. Yep, these conflict. I'll pick one when my stepson knows when spring break is for 2011. I actually want the Liberty. It is 8 days instead of 7, and is $200 per person cheaper. Also, I don't like the Oasis scheduling a port day (Bahamas) the last day of the cruise on the Eastern Caribbean route. Gosh, when does one find the time pack up! I wonder if there will be many complaints on this.

I've done the Western Caribbean tons of times, but never the Eastern Caribbean. So, if I fly to Florida, I want the Eastern Caribbean. That also could make a difference on your Oasis dates. You might ask what route is preferred -- Eastern or Western. It looks like Jan. 29 is the same price, but does the Eastern route. But then there is that port day the last day :eek:

The sister ship to the Oasis is due out in 2011. I've been told that Oasis currently sailing out on Saturday and the sister ship will be sailing out on Sunday and hold a few hundred more guests.

I saw the ship this past Saturday as I was parked next to it (it was in slip 18 and I was in slip 21) I've got pictures I guess I should post, boy is it a massive ship. I need to look at the layout to try and see if some of those windows I saw on the top back were rooms.

Anyway my big question about that ship is how is embarking and debarking? I just can't imagine what that pier will be like as people are getting off and on at the same time especially if there are any delays in getting off on the cruise before as I've had happen at port everglades for any one of numerous reasons.

I would so love to go on that ship but I am so concerned about standing in line and my son getting impatient and screaming. This year we lucked out and our ship was dry docked for 2 weeks before so we got there checked in boarded, ate, walked around a bit, and went to our room with the fewest of lines ever.

Oh, I know you asked about a group cruise, but I'm so interested in your review!! :) My DH and I will be booking Oasis in 2011 (unless we go with Allure - it will depend upon timing/itinerary). BTW, the group cruise sounds great, but it's unlikely that January will work for us. :(

Sounds like fun. I can't go until the end of March / first of April when my grandkids are on spring break. Prices are higher then of course :(

Actually for 2011 I'm booked on the Oasis March 26, and also the Liberty of the Seas April 2. Yep, these conflict. I'll pick one when my stepson knows when spring break is for 2011. I actually want the Liberty. It is 8 days instead of 7, and is $200 per person cheaper. Also, I don't like the Oasis scheduling a port day (Bahamas) the last day of the cruise on the Eastern Caribbean route. Gosh, when does one find the time pack up! I wonder if there will be many complaints on this.

I've done the Western Caribbean tons of times, but never the Eastern Caribbean. So, if I fly to Florida, I want the Eastern Caribbean. That also could make a difference on your Oasis dates. You might ask what route is preferred -- Eastern or Western. It looks like Jan. 29 is the same price, but does the Eastern route. But then there is that port day the last day :eek:

I have been considering the time of year and am now going to try to get a group together for spring break. I will send out an official interest poll after the new year but am hearing that many would prefer that time of year. It would be great if we could get a group rate as that time of year is very expensive. It would also be better for me as my 16 y.o. is getting a little old to take out of school and there weren't many teenagers for him to hang out with on our last cruise which made things a little boring for him.

I have heard more than 1 complaint about having the last day be a port day but I have done both Eastern and Western many times and the Bahamas is not on my list of favorite ports so I'm OK with skipping it or coming back early but I would not feel that way if it was my first time at that port.

Just curious - do any of you know when your children's spring break of 2011 will be?

The sister ship to the Oasis is due out in 2011. I've been told that Oasis currently sailing out on Saturday and the sister ship will be sailing out on Sunday and hold a few hundred more guests.

I saw the ship this past Saturday as I was parked next to it (it was in slip 18 and I was in slip 21) I've got pictures I guess I should post, boy is it a massive ship. I need to look at the layout to try and see if some of those windows I saw on the top back were rooms.

Anyway my big question about that ship is how is embarking and debarking? I just can't imagine what that pier will be like as people are getting off and on at the same time especially if there are any delays in getting off on the cruise before as I've had happen at port everglades for any one of numerous reasons.

I would so love to go on that ship but I am so concerned about standing in line and my son getting impatient and screaming. This year we lucked out and our ship was dry docked for 2 weeks before so we got there checked in boarded, ate, walked around a bit, and went to our room with the fewest of lines ever.

The windows you saw in the back may have been the loft suites. They sort of go across the middle of the ship as opposed to the large suites in the aft-most part of the ship which are the Aquatheater suites.

Both the embarking and disembarking processes were the smoothest of any ship I have been on. They really have made tremendous impovements. I remember the days of feeling like a head of cattle and do not miss them!! We were on the ship in less than 15 minutes as promised. Disembarking took even less time once we were called. My daughter can be cranky as well so I was worried too but everything went smoothly.

Oh, I know you asked about a group cruise, but I'm so interested in your review!! :) My DH and I will be booking Oasis in 2011 (unless we go with Allure - it will depend upon timing/itinerary). BTW, the group cruise sounds great, but it's unlikely that January will work for us. :(

I will try my best to do a complete review over the next day or so. I'll post a link here when it's done.

As I mentioned in an earlier post today, I'd like to try a spring break group cruise as it seems Jan. is bad for many people. I will do some Allure vs. Oasis research and post more info soon.

I will try my best to do a complete review over the next day or so. I'll post a link here when it's done.

As I mentioned in an earlier post today, I'd like to try a spring break group cruise as it seems Jan. is bad for many people. I will do some Allure vs. Oasis research and post more info soon.

Both sound awesome. :) Thanks!

Just curious - do any of you know when your children's spring break of 2011 will be?

Actually, they technically are my "step-granddaughters" -- my wife's son's kids. No, I don't know when spring break 2011 will be. That's one reason I booked 2 cruises (fully refundable deposits). We probably won't know until next July or August.

Although it is usually expensive, I would love to go on Thanksgiving (USA -- 4th Thursday in November) sometime. Again, kids today often have the entire week off.

Another problem with the Oasis: It sails on a Saturday. It is risky to fly in on the day of sailing, so most people would have to fly in on Friday, which is probably a school day. I wonder why the Oasis sails Saturday instead of Sunday?

• 2 weeks later...
Most spring breaks are the week before or the week after Easter. It depends upon the school system to determine which one they choose. Hope that helps.

Easter 2011 is April 24. I don't think Spring Break will be that late.

Hi all,

I would like to know if there is any interest in a Cruise Critic group cruise on the Oasis. I just returned from the 12/5 inaugural sailing. I cruised with my husband, 1 year old daughter, and 16 year old son.

I found the Oasis to be the perfect family ship. It is RCCL's first ship with a nursey and the nursey couldn't have been a better experience for our daughter. The staff and program were great and I think it would be nice if several of us with kids were on the same sailing.

I've done some preliminary research and it looks like the 1/22/11 Western itenerary has the best rates. Please share any interest/thoughts/questions you might have.

Thanks!

Good Morning,

I would love to sail on the Oasis of the Seas. If you book a cc group for the spring, I am more than interested in going with you all. I feel that the weather is better around the Easter Break. I hope you run a trip...it will be fun. I look forward to hearing from you.

This sounds great but unfortunately (or shall I say fortunately :p) we have decided to take our next cruise in August of 2011 which also maybe Oasis or Allure depending our the group majority of destinations. We found that August had the best rates for what we were looking for and giving us over a year to plan(pay) will allow some of us a chance to splurge on a once in a life time cabin like a family suite :D.

I do have a question though for those that have participated in group cruises, are there special rates/discounts, are there organizers that help plan and arrange dinner and excursions for large groups?? or are we left up to organizing our own plans???

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to update all of you. It seems that this is not a great time for many of you. I am now looking into group rates for the week of April 16, 2011. Though most schools haven't published vacation schedules yet, I talked with the secretary at my son's school and it will likely be that week. With Easter coming so late, she didn't think many schools would be off the following week.

If group rates are possible this week and enough people are interested, we will be official. With regard to activities, I think it would be great to schedule some excursions and other "fun stuff" for our group. I have some ideas already but would poll the group to see what everyone's most interested in.

I will have more info the week after next and will post it here. In the mean time, please share any feedback or questions.

Thanks,

Ann Marie

Easter 2011 is April 24. I don't think Spring Break will be that late.

Ah, a good point and noted! I'm not sure what other school systems around the country do, but we live in the "Bible belt." Spring break, at least in my experience, has always been the week before or after Easter. It will be interesting to see what the school system does next year.

Archived