Vancouver Taxi Tour Advice Needed

gotonana

Has anyone used or have knowledge of Sunshine Taxi in North Vancouver. They offer tours of the city. I am thinking a taxi tour would meet our needs since we are arriving at 1:30PM next June 10th and boarding the ship at 11:30AM the next day. The Best Western Hotel in Yaletown will pick us up at the airport so a tour that picks up at the airport with luggage and tours is not needed. The Stanley Park Shuttle doesn't start the 2010 season until July 1st (according to thier website) and the HOHO Trolley doesn't operate long enough to get us back to our hotel so....it looks like the taxi tour would be our best option. I have looked at public transport but the waiting and changing buses would be too stressful after early morning flights and possible delays.

I thought we could check in our hotel and take the hotel drop off shuttle and go to Grandville Island first (since the market and shops close at 7PM) take the aquabus back to Yaletown and walk to the hotel and take a taxi to Stanley Park and watch the sunset at Prospect Point. We could complete the loop and go back to the hotel by way of English Bay Beach.

Another alternative would be to take the drop off shuttle to Stanley Park Carriage Tours for a 1 hour tour and call a taxi at the Aqarium and go to Gastown for a photo-op with the Gassy Jack statue and the steam clock and go to Grandville Island for dinner and take the Aquabus to Yaletown and walk to the hotel.

As you can see, we are trying to fit in Granville Island and Stanley Park

in one evening. We want to have a slow paced morning and maybe sleep late and have a relaxed morning before the cruise. We want to enjoy the first day on the ship and not be exhausted.

Is this a reasonable plan for 4 fifty and sixty somethings? Any other taxi company referals are welcome. Any advise would be appreciated! :)

Sunshine Taxi is the designated cab service for the North Shore - across the inlet from downtown Vancouver. Where does the tour start as I don't believe that Sunshine is suppose to be picking up fares in the City of Vancouver - perhaps because they are offering it as a tour they are able to get around that restriction - perhaps Putterdude can help somewhat as he lived on the North Shore for a number of years.

You are trying to fit a lot in for an evening in the city but sunset won't be until around 10PM so it might be doable - as someone who fits your ages as long as you are active and like to walk you will be just fine.

Okay you other locals it over to you to help this person plan there trip.

Cheers

Dennis

I just looked up Sunshine Taxi's website and don't see where they offer tours. Generally speaking, taxis in the Vancouver area don't do tours. I would be cautious of going with this option unless your hear from someone who has actually used them for a tour.

I Googled Vancouver, Ca taxi tour several months ago and a website listed

Sunshine Cab Co. as giving tours in North and West and Downtown Vancouver. Their website explains about strict taxi territories and then

says if the customer requests a pick up they can go into another taxi territory. Sooo.....

I called Sunshine Cab Ltd a few minutes ago on their toll free number listed on their website and inquired about a taxi tour. He said that they do taxi tours for $40 an hour. I would have to call the day before and give a description of what sights we wanted to see and he would set up the tour. He was very polite but very busy as it is the Friday before Christmas.

Has anyone out there used Sunshine Cab Ltd at all? Now my interest has really peaked.

Has anyone used or have knowledge of Sunshine Taxi in North Vancouver. They offer tours of the city. I am thinking a taxi tour would meet our needs since we are arriving at 1:30PM next June 10th and boarding the ship at 11:30AM the next day. The Best Western Hotel in Yaletown will pick us up at the airport so a tour that picks up at the airport with luggage and tours is not needed. The Stanley Park Shuttle doesn't start the 2010 season until July 1st (according to thier website) and the HOHO Trolley doesn't operate long enough to get us back to our hotel so....it looks like the taxi tour would be our best option. I have looked at public transport but the waiting and changing buses would be too stressful after early morning flights and possible delays.

I thought we could check in our hotel and take the hotel drop off shuttle and go to Grandville Island first (since the market and shops close at 7PM) take the aquabus back to Yaletown and walk to the hotel and take a taxi to Stanley Park and watch the sunset at Prospect Point. We could complete the loop and go back to the hotel by way of English Bay Beach.

Another alternative would be to take the drop off shuttle to Stanley Park Carriage Tours for a 1 hour tour and call a taxi at the Aqarium and go to Gastown for a photo-op with the Gassy Jack statue and the steam clock and go to Grandville Island for dinner and take the Aquabus to Yaletown and walk to the hotel.

As you can see, we are trying to fit in Granville Island and Stanley Park

in one evening. We want to have a slow paced morning and maybe sleep late and have a relaxed morning before the cruise. We want to enjoy the first day on the ship and not be exhausted.

Is this a reasonable plan for 4 fifty and sixty somethings? Any other taxi company referals are welcome. Any advise would be appreciated! :)

I live in West Vancouver and have used Sunshine Cabs. Tours are not their forte. They are a respectable cab company. If you are arriving from the east coast, 11:30 our time will feel like 3PM to you. I wouldn't plan too much. Choose either Stanley park or the North shore mountains. I would take a taxi around the park with a stop at the Aquarium and prospect point. Then I woul take the aquabus from near your hotel, across to Granville Island and have dinner on Granville Island or at Monk McQueens also on the water. Then the aquabus back to your hotel.

The next day I am reasonably sure you do not need to board until mid afternoon. None of the ships depart until suppertime. You have time to take the Canada line from Davie and Mainland to the waterfront, the seabus across to North Vancouver, the bus to Grouse mountain for a view of the city and lunch. From there, taxi back to your hotel with perhaps a stop at the fish hatchery and then on to the dock. There are 2 terminals. Canada Place and Ballantyne Pier. Canada place is 10 minutes and Ballantyne 20 mins from your hotel. Forget gastown until your next trip to our wonderful city.

I thought about it some more. Better to go to Grouse mountain on day 1 for supper and Stanley park & Granville Island on day 2. If you stay in the false creek, granville Island, Stanley park area on day 2 you will fret less about your departure time. Lunch at Ferguson Point, Granville Island or Monk McQueens.

Here is my tenative plan for our pre-cruise arrival day in Vancouver after everyone's advice:

-Arrive at YVR June 10th @ 1:30PM (if no delays)

-Arrive at Best Western Downtown (Yaletown) @ 3:00PM-3:30PM.

-Hotel drop-off shuttle to Stanley Park Aquarium ASAP. Hope to arrive soon enough to see the beluga whales.(Aquarium closes at 5:00PM).

The Aquarium has a cafe, if a snack is needed.

-Taxi ride through the park, by English Bay, and to Yaletown Aquabus connection.

-Take Aquabus to Granville Island. Have dinner at Monk McQueens.

-Return to Yaletown by Aquabus and walk to hotel and crash!

June 11th-Saturday

-Eat early (included) breakfast at White Spot Restaurant-located in hotel.

- If time permits, walk to Yaletown Roundhouse and take Sky train to Waterfront (or hotel drop-off shuttle if available) and walk along Canada Place Seawall and to Gastown.

- Back to hotel-probalby taxi.

-11:00AM- Leave for Ballantine Pier. Important to other members of our group to board early (cc cabin-early boarding priviledges-no flexability here).

11:30ish- Board the Millie for a great cruise.

If you see anything that needs tweeking (sp?) all suggestions great appreciated!:)

A few comments:

- I don't think you're allowing enough time to see the Aquarium. If you don't expect to arrive at your hotel until 3 or 3:30 pm, you probably won't get to the aquarium until around 3:30 - 4 pm. That only leaves 1 hour before closing. Unless this is a "must do" item for you, I'd skip it.

- You might be better off taking the Stanley Park carriage ride rather than just a taxi ride around the park. You'll get much more out of it in terms of the history and points of interest along the way.

- You can head over to see Granville Island by Aqua bus, and taxi back into downtown for dinner where there are many more options. I don't see a real plus in having dinner at Granville Island. You still need to get back towards Yaletown/ downtown at some point anyways. As Dennis (Urban Trekker) mentioned, it will be still light out until after 9pm, so you could even stroll to dinner from your hotel and maybe even head over to Gastown.

Hi All,

My goal is to limit walking the day we arrive since we will be tired after traveling and running through airports. Two of us had foot surgery this year and the other two have knee problems.

Revision:

My original thought before the taxi tour was to take the horse carriage tour. The last tour of the day is at 5:00PM and it lasts one hour. If we could prearrange for a taxi to pick us up after the tour and take us to the Yaletown Aquabus connection, that would settle the no cell phone in Canada problem (listed in a previous thread) and be a good substitute for the taxi tour. After thinking about it, I agree that the Aquarium would be too rushed. The bonus there is that it has a cafe in case a snack is needed. We have a diabetic in the group. A snack on hand can be planned.

Monk McQueen's for dinner across False Creek looks like a good fit for us. I checked it out on their web page and since it is at Stamps Landing there would only be a short walk back to the hotel at the end of the evening.

It looks like Granville Island will not be in the plan this time unless we go the next morning instead of Gastown and Canada Place area seawall.

Any other suggestions appreciated. :)

I should have added my list of things to do in Vancouver. Another suggestion for dinner is the Harbor Centre Revolving REstaurant (# 7 in my list below)- if you have a later dinner you can enjoy the sunset from up top... the information is below and it is in Gas Town. I think you are being very ambitiious expecially with folks who might find walking long distances a challenge. I cruise a lot with my Dad who is 88 and finds walking long distances a challenge..I no longer plan anything for embarkation day as we like to board early and always plan to be at the dock around 11am. On your arrival day in Vancouver with the time change and long flights you will be tired and running on the excitement hipe which will get you thru sightseeing that day but the next morning it often hits you.

Info on Vancouver from a local!

My favorite must do attractions are

1) Grouse Mountain – http://www.grousemountain.com – this is a wonderful scenic mountain only about 15 mins from downtown Vancouver. Ride the airtram to the top for lots of fun activities that include a loggers show, birds of prey show, 2 movies (1 about the Vancouver area and 1 about the 2 Grizzly Bears who make their home on Grouse Mtn) ride a chair lift and visit with 2 live Grizzly Bears. Enjoy a meal in any of the restaurants. Caveat only spend the money to go up on a clear day.

2) Capilano Suspension Bridge – http://www.capbridge.com – this is Vancouver’s oldest tourist attraction and I still enjoy visiting it! Located on Capilano Road just before you reach the Grouse Mountain parking lot. Walk across a suspension Bridge over the Capilano Gorge, wonder the trails thru the rain forest, walk thru the treetops on the new Tree Top Adventure, visit the trading post for a huge selection of souvenirs, watch native weavers and/or carvers at work.

3) Capilano Fish Hatchery is also located on Capilano Road and is a great place to view salmon jumping up the fish ladders to get around the Cleveland Dam. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capilano_River_Regional_Park

4) Lynn Valley Suspension Bridge is also located in North Vancouver and is much less touristy than Capilano but it also is not as spectacular. The bridge is slightly higher above the water but much shorter in span. Located in a Provincial Park this bridge comes with some nice hiking trails and you will find an ecology centre in the park as well as picnic tables and a food concession outlet. Should you choose to enjoy the Lynn Valley Suspension Bridge always cross the suspension bridge first and then hike down the trail to the lower (Twin Falls wooden) bridge to cross back over the Lynn Valley River and return to your car – that way you are hiking downhill rather than uphill. http://www.lynncanyonparkguide.bc.ca It is also free to visit this suspension bridge!

5) Stanley Park – http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/stanley/ - is the crown jewel of Vancouver's parks. As one of North America's largest urban parks, covering over a 1000 acres and offering an abundance of activities. Enjoy the totem pole collection near the Brockton Point Light House, hiking trails, beaches, water parks for the kids (young & old), rose gardens, miniature train, petting zoo, aquarium –http://www.vanaqua.org – many view points, and several restaurants. During the summer months there is a free shuttle bus that you can ride around the park on.

6) Gas Town – the location where Vancouver originated. The name is derived from a very colorful character named Gassy Jack who was one of the first settlers in the area and a salon keeper – while in Gas Town don’t miss your photo op with the statue of Gassy Jack and by the Steam Clock.

7) At the start of Gas Town is the Harbor Centre Tower http://www.vancouverlookout.com a great spot to start your tour of Vancouver with a birds eye view of the city. Either take the elevator up to the lookout level or go to the top and enjoy a meal in the revolving restaurant.

8) China Town is only about 6 blocks over from Gas Town and is the largest China Town north of San Francisco. While in China Town enjoy a visit to the Dr Sun Yat Sen Classical Gardens http://www.classicalchinesegarden.com and also make sure you visit the world’s thinnest building it is only 6’ wide!

9) Granville Island – http://www.granvilleisland.com – is a huge public market area which not only sells fruit & veggies but you can also buy frozen fish to be shipped to your home. May artists make this their home and you can watch them at work in their studios – making this a great place to buy unique souvenirs. The Granville Island Brewery is also located here and you can stop in for a free tour & tastes. There are theatres for live performances and many fine restaurants. A fun way to get to Granville Island is via the Aquabus – http://www.theaquabus.com

10) Burnaby Village Museum – http://www.city.burnaby.bc.ca – is an open air museum with over 30 restored homes, shops, school, church and a 1912 carousel situated on 10 acres

11) Gulf of Georgia Cannery – http://www.gulfofgeorgiacannery.com – is a restored fishing cannery located in the historic fishing village of Steveston (part of Richmond). Here you see exhibits that showcase the history of the fishing industry in British Columbia. Once finished in the museum it is great fun to walk along the fishing docks and see the fishing boats which are selling their catch. There are also some excellent restaurants located here.

12) The Vancouver Maritime Museum located on the shore of English Bay is fun for the whole family with lots of hands on exhibits for the kid in all of us. Here to you will find the ship St Roch which the RCMP sailed from Vancouver to Halifax via the Northwest Passage and then completed the return journey in 1944. You actually get to tour this ship. http://www.vancouvermaritimemuseum.com

13) Queen Elizabeth Park – http://www.greatervancouverparks.com/QEPark01.htm -The 130 acre (52 hectare) park is one of the most beautifully maintained public parks in the world. Second only to Stanley Park in annual visitations, it receives nearly 6 million people a year who marvel at its superior standard of garden plantings.

The park was originally quarried for its rock which served to build Vancouver's first roadways. In 1929 the Board proceeded to acquire the property which had become an abandoned eyesore but still served as the site for two holding reservoirs for the City's drinking water. Dedicated as a park by King George VI and his consort, Queen Elizabeth (the present Queen's mother) on their much lauded visit to Vancouver in 1939.

14) Fort Langley is the restored wooden fort built by the Hudson’s Bay Company as a trading post. It is the origin of British Columbia and was the first capital. This Fort is operated by the Federal Parks Board. http://www.pc,qc.ca/fortlangley

15) If you are a wine lover you might want to rent a car and spend a day visiting a few of the many excellent wineries located in the Fraser Valley only about a 1 hour drive from your hotel. Almost all of the wineries offer free tastes & tours.

16) If you are a real animal lover than don’t miss “Mountain View Conservation & Breeding Centre” It is located in Fort Langley about an hour drive from downtown Vancouver. Mountain View Conservation and Breeding Centre is a leading non-profit Canadian facility that breeds endangered species in family groups for re-introduction back into their natural habitat in Canada and around the world. This facility is not a zoo their goal is to breed rare and endangered wildlife and re-introduce these animals back into their natural habitats. Presently Mountainview hosts over 50 species of the world’s most threatened animals and birds. See animals such as the spotted dog from Africa, Giraffes, and much much more. Here you do not wonder around as in a zoo rather you are given a guided tour with commentary on each animal group. Check it out at http://www.mtnviewconservation.org

17) VanDusen Botanical Garden is a scenic 55- acre garden of international renown – a living museum of plants collected from around the world and artistically displayed amidst rolling lawns, woodlands and five tranquil lakes, all in the heart of Vancouver and just 15 minutes from downtown.

Due to Vancouver’s mild climate, plants bloom at the Garden year-round. This same climate creates a unique environment where plants from varying climate regions thrive and grow – at VanDusen you will see plants from the southern hemisphere, tropical areas and the high Arctic tundra along side native species. The Elizabethan Maze (one of only six in North America) provides year-round fun.

18) UBC Botanical Garden located at the University of British Columbia covers 110 acres and includes an Alpine, Asian, Native, Food, and Japanese Gardens. http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org

19) Dazzle your senses when you visit Minter Gardens nestled against 7000 foot Mt. Cheam in beautiful 'Super Natural' British Columbia. One of the most spectacular show gardens in the world! Eleven themed gardens are designed to dazzle the senses with massive displays of artistic floral designs.

Minter Gardens is located 90 minutes east of downtown Vancouver just off the Trans-Canada Hwy. #1 at exit #135. http://www.gardeningbc.com

Hi All,

I have found an afternoon/evening organized group tour that starts at 3:30PM the day we arrive at 1:30PM. I found it on a web search when I could not sleep two nights ago. I reserved the Vancouver City Tour for the two of us yesterday morning with West Coast Sightseeing. They were very nice on the phone. If anyone has used them before it would be nice to hear a report.

If our flights are delayed and we miss this tour, a taxi ride just to see the city is better than not seeing your beautiful city at all.

Thanks for all your help!:)

Linda

Linda, while I have never had occasion to use them, their buses are a familiar sight around Vancouver and the tour you have booked certainly hits the highlights for the time you have. We would be delighted to know how you make out with them.:)

Linda, while I have never had occasion to use them, their buses are a familiar sight around Vancouver and the tour you have booked certainly hits the highlights for the time you have. We would be delighted to know how you make out with them.:)

I was impressed with the customer reviews on their website. I plan on posting a complete trip review after our cruise. It will be nice to give back when I have received so much help from everyone on these boards.:)

Happy New Year to Eveyone!

Linda

Archived