Carnival Q4 Profits fall 48%

Sargent_Schultz

I don't understand either. Right now Carnival gives me what I like and I am satisfied with the level of service and price I am comfortable to pay for, when they change thier company philosophy, prices or if another company can give me the percieved value for my money then I will use them.

I cruise because I love the ocean and cruising, the ports are an additional bonus for sailing the high seas. :D

I run into very few people that worry about what part of their fare goes to whom.

Actually, make that none. :rolleyes:

Where did I say I've never sailed Carnival before?:confused: Why do you draw that conclusion? If you must know, I have been on about a dozen Carnival cruises in my lifetime.

But to answer your question; for example, DH is a beer drinker. Carnival typically charges $5 for a beer. Most other cruise lines charge about $4.50. This is not a big deal. The whole point I was trying to make was that the on board charges tend to work out about even in the end. Also, one specialty restaurant or 10....what difference does it make as long as there is still a free MDR and free buffet? I'm not sure why that is so offensive. :confused:

I never said that waht you said was offensive. Just not totally factual. as I said before I can not defend what or attack what I don't know, but in your beer comparison. I drink on an average of 6 beers aday on a cruise if that much, but until recently all of my dinniing was free. Over my 4 day cruise I had spent about $9.00 more compared to the other cruise lines in your comparison. which is nominal and barely registers on most cruisers pocketbook. In Chicago beers are $5 to $6 and I know Miami the prices are the same.

Additionally, With all of the other pay for dinning or coffees, activities ETC.. on the other cruise lines. I see Carnival as being easier on the average cruiser's pocketbook. Carnival seems more inclusive than the competitors. My Mom, cruised RCI "Majesty" and she ate at the pay dinning and found the food was cooked in the same kitchen and the quality was no diferent than the MDR.

She cruised on CCL "Freedom" and thought that the ship had more to offer and she noticed that she did not have to pay for everything. I'm not sure what she was paying for during her cruise but the main topic for her was the cost for food.

Additionally, With all of the other pay for dinning or coffees, activities ETC.. on the other cruise lines. I see Carnival as being easier on the average cruiser's pocketbook. Carnival seems more inclusive than the competitors. My Mom, cruised RCI "Majesty" and she ate at the pay dinning and found the food was cooked in the same kitchen and the quality was no diferent than the MDR.

That's very interesting, considering RCI's Majesty does not have a specialty restaurant. Plus, the Majesty is not a fair comparison to the Carnival Freedom.

Also, I can not agree with the "other pay" statement. I have never been on a cruise ship that didn't have a free dining room, free activities, etc. For example, Celebrity Solstice has 3 specialty restaurants that are extra $$$. However, there is no requirement to eat there. No one is forced to eat there. It is cruiser's choice, as an option only. The free MDR and buffet still exist. So, passengers are only charged extra if they choose to be.

My ship??? And to you, I must also ask why you draw this conclusion? I never said RC was my favorite. In fact, it isn't. I love cruise vacations, regardless of the cruise line. I'm sorry if you can't accept the fact that some of us are not brand loyal.

That doesn't change the fact that you complained that CCL's steak house is more expensive, when in fact for that extra $5 you are getting a VASTLY supperior cut of meat.

That's very interesting, considering RCI's Majesty does not have a specialty restaurant. Plus, the Majesty is not a fair comparison to the Carnival Freedom.

Also, I can not agree with the "other pay" statement. I have never been on a cruise ship that didn't have a free dining room, free activities, etc. For example, Celebrity Solstice has 3 specialty restaurants that are extra $$$. However, there is no requirement to eat there. No one is forced to eat there. It is cruiser's choice, as an option only. The free MDR and buffet still exist. So, passengers are only charged extra if they choose to be.

I may be wrong about the ship but I'm almost certain she told me RCI Majesty. If not, I appoligize in advance for misnaming the ship.

But you still missed my point. I did not say that there were no free dinning. Let me clarify this a little more.. Until recently there were no options to pay for dinning, prior to the anytime dinning. Yes it is an OPTION but it is as you say or someone had said previously a nickel and dime activity. but I would submit, so is drinking Beer or gambling or god forbid for being flamed,, Shore excursions.. Aside for the excursions Carnival seems to have less of it. Note my discalaimer previously, my information comes from past cruisers, C.C. Royal baords and my T/A who has sailed a lot on all 3 major liners and Celebrity.. I do cruise searches almost on a daily basis to just get away from the stress and strains of being in Iraq. So I do see the base costs to be slightly in CCL corner but what tips the scales IMO is the specialty venues from Coffee to restaraunts. RCI seems to have more and CCL has less. Thus more inclusive for the Dollar.

I may be wrong about the ship but I'm almost certain she told me RCI Majesty. If not, I appoligize in advance for misnaming the ship.

But you still missed my point. I did not say that there were no free dinning. Let me clarify this a little more.. Until recently there were no options to pay for dinning, prior to the anytime dinning. Yes it is an OPTION but it is as you say or someone had said previously a nickel and dime activity. but I would submit, so is drinking Beer or gambling or god forbid for being flamed,, Shore excursions.. Aside for the excursions Carnival seems to have less of it. Note my discalaimer previously, my information comes from past cruisers, C.C. Royal baords and my T/A who has sailed a lot on all 3 major liners and Celebrity.. I do cruise searches almost on a daily basis to just get away from the stress and strains of being in Iraq. So I do see the base costs to be slightly in CCL corner but what tips the scales IMO is the specialty venues from Coffee to restaraunts. RCI seems to have more and CCL has less. Thus more inclusive for the Dollar.

YOU ARE IN IRAQ?????????

I salute you!:)

That doesn't change the fact that you complained that CCL's steak house is more expensive, when in fact for that extra $5 you are getting a VASTLY supperior cut of meat.

Compared to who?

The best specialty restaurant I have come across so far (in my opinion, of course) is Tuscan Grille on Celebrity. The charge is $25, and they offer 5 different cuts of prime beef.

But you are missing my point completely. My statement that Carnival's restaurant is more expensive was not a complaint in any way, shape, or form. Once again, all I was trying to do was point out that the on board expenses work out to be about the same in the end. It had nothing to do with what cruise line has better food. It was about the final cost to the cruiser.

You are not the only one thst has said that. I hear that alot, for the money people pay for that specialty dinning it is almost not worth it especially on NCL. By the time the customer figures this out they have tried it atleast twice maybe three time at different venues so do the math that ship just made between 60 to 75 Dollars. Versus $9.00 on beer at the bar.

I see it as more options..........options are always a good thing.......

I see it as more options..........options are always a good thing.......

And I do as well.. because it is my decision on how I spend that Dollar. If don't want to partake then I don't and I should not ridcule those who do. I am not saying that you are Cruzaholic, it is a mere point. Although Savonia would disagree because they must be the controller of peoples free will.

First off, I salute you for your service in Iraq. I am a former Marine and DH is retired USCG.

I think we are slowly working toward a common ground here. But one thing I want to point out is that I speak from my own personal experiences, not from what I was told. For the same reason that you seem to remember Majesty, other info can be slightly skewed. I have been on more than 40 cruises, almost all of which were on the major cruise lines. I live near the Port of Miami and can cruise last-minute, so I have taken a lot of last minute deals.

My spending habits are the same, as I am a creature of habit. My final account is almost always about the same, regardless of what cruise line I sail. This is what I base my claims on, that it all works out to be the same in the end. The only exception seems to be NCL. For some reason, that bill tends to be a little higher.

Sorry, I disagree...it is RCCL that charges you for room service after midnight....for a "special steak" in the Main Dining Room .... eliminated Loyal Cruiser benefits etc etc etc

NOT Carnival. You must be confusing the two.

BTW HOW many Carnival cruises have you been on??????

Since we prepay our tips...our lowest Sail and Sign card was $2.83 at the end of a 5 day cruise...

now THAT is what I call being nickled and dimed!!!! ;)

And how many Royal Caribbean cruises have you taken? You seem to know so much about them. Tell us about it.:rolleyes:

Just what I thought. You know nothing about Royal Caribbean and how they operate or any other cruise other than Carnival for that matter. Just love the experts.:rolleyes:

And how many Royal Caribbean cruises have you taken? You seem to know so much about them. Tell us about it.:rolleyes:

Just what I thought. You know nothing about Royal Caribbean and how they operate or any other cruise other than Carnival for that matter. Just love the experts.:rolleyes:

LMAO!!!!! Sorry but so true;)

Carnival is not anal about people packing liquor in luggage like some other cruise lines.

Carnival has, at most, one restaurant and one coffee bar per ship that isn't included in the basic cruise fare. Others?

Often my onboard account closes with only charges for gratuities and Internet usage, and Carnival doesn't set prices for outsourced services such as Internet or Spa services. Nickle and dimed? Baloney.

Where did anyone claim Carnival is perfect?

Other cruise lines offer more for their guests to choose from. They still offer just as many or more dining options over what Carnival offers for no charge. Carnival management know that anything other than a buffet to belly up to or their great 24 hour pizza and ice cream machines will be a waste as the "typical" Carnival customer won't spend the money.:rolleyes:

Other cruise lines offer more for their guests to choose from. They still offer just as many or more dining options over what Carnival offers for no charge. Carnival management know that anything other than a buffet to belly up to or their great 24 hour pizza and ice cream machines will be a waste as the "typical" Carnival customer won't spend the money.:rolleyes:

They charge for popcorn:D

All cruise lines are discounting to fill ships. Nothing new here.

True. But Carnival has lower costs and thus can sail profitably when others are selling rock walls on Ebay.

Carnival is still the best value and the most popular. Others can huff and puff, but don't have the financials to back any of it up. Carnival does.

FYI, I have been on RCCL, HAL, Princess, NCL, and more. Nothing else out there comes close.

True. But Carnival has lower costs and thus can sail profitably when others are selling rock walls on Ebay.

Carnival is still the best value and the most popular. Others can huff and puff, but don't have the financials to back any of it up. Carnival does.

FYI, I have been on RCCL, HAL, Princess, NCL, and more. Nothing else out there comes close.

That's your opinion. Many including I disagree with you but then I don't have to wear a cheerleading outfit when I board the ship.;)

I think the cost would depend on what port you leave from and where you go.. I know I paid much more for my last two Carnival cruises out of NYC than I paid for 4 Celebrity's out of NJ/NY-

Same time of year too.. so that could not be a factor..

Please back that up by showing me the stats. I see what the reported earnings are for Carnival's parent corp., but I have not seen the earnings for Carnival Cruise Line, compared to other major lines.

Really? and what dinning rooms besides the two free one that RCI ships offer are free what others are because I will definately cruise them when I get back to the States.

Your comment about buffets is a mean misnomer as all of the big three have those same clientels because on the other liner they are so broke from buying their fare they can't afford anything else.. :D

As you admited by not saying it that RCI offers alot of fee paid options which tkes more dollars out of the customer pocket and if the customer can't or won't pay a fee for eating why does that make them bad/cheap. When the economy was good people had no problems paying but CCL did not do that most of their options were inclusive.

Here is something to think about your comment about Carnivals customers. If I, you, or anyone else buys a vacation at an all inclusive resort in the Bahams are they cheap, or what ever you want to reference the typical Carnival cruiser at the time? Or are they frugal and got a good deal? NO difference IMO.

Please back that up by showing me the stats. I see what the reported earnings are for Carnival's parent corp., but I have not seen the earnings for Carnival Cruise Line, compared to other major lines.

Bottom line to what Sargent Shultz is saying the parent company whaich makes the difference because if CCL was a money loser someone wpould lose their job by now. Carnival Corp. shares are 32.22 and RCL is 25.71. and dropping.

Archived