Carnival Q4 Profits fall 48%

Sargent_Schultz

Whats crazy is that I think NCL does that even more look at tier prices. They are cheap but then there are no gratuities but the encourage tipping for good service. That is a European philosophy. But to make money they MUST charge for the little things. and of course if you want a nicer spacious room then the prices jump substantially.

But I will go and try them. I will make a dairy of my experiences and observations as well expenses.. Well DW will she big on that. I spend and she tallies. :D

Typical of a Carnivore fan..I have never said RCL is my favorite...again, typical of you guys..don't like CCL so you HAVE to be a RCL plant.

Who invented the term "Carnivore?" The RCL board that is who.

If it sounds like one, posts like one and smells like one, its a Royal Champion, aka Carnival Basher. RCL is obviously your favorite line and Carnival Bashing is equally obviously your favorite pastime. The absolute silliness is that its the fans of a company in the most dire of financial straits, knocking the strongest company in the present and past history of the industry.

I complain about RCL's management being as financially reckless as our politicians. But not about their cruises as I likely have cruised them more than you [12] and will continue to cruise them unless their mismanagement dooms them.

The true comparison of cruising on CCL or RCL boils down to CCL, better food, RCL better ships. Comparing financials between the 2 companies is not close enough to even be a joke. One is a profit juggernaught, the other a mismanaged mess.

Another cruise expert who knows nothing about the competition other than what they have read. You know what, I have read right here on this board that Carnival is nothing more than a bunch of drunks and rednecks. It must be true, I read it right here on the Carnival boards.:rolleyes:

Yes, and you are one of the main people calling us drunks and rednecks. Oh, that's right.......you are an expert on everything!! Go away. You are annoying.:rolleyes:

Whats crazy is that I think NCL does that even more look at tier prices. They are cheap but then there are no gratuities but the encourage tipping for good service. That is a European philosophy. But to make money they MUST charge for the little things. and of course if you want a nicer spacious room then the prices jump substantially.

But I will go and try them. I will make a dairy of my experiences and observations as well expenses.. Well DW will she big on that. I spend and she tallies. :D

No Gratuities? NCL has done away with their NON-ADJUSTIBLE, daily SERVICE CHARGE? When?

Who invented the term "Carnivore?" The RCL board that is who.

If it sounds like one, posts like one and smells like one, its a Royal Champion, aka Carnival Basher. RCL is obviously your favorite line and Carnival Bashing is equally obviously your favorite pastime. The absolute silliness is that its the fans of a company in the most dire of financial straits, knocking the strongest company in the present and past history of the industry.

I complain about RCL's management being as financially reckless as our politicians. But not about their cruises as I likely have cruised them more than you [12] and will continue to cruise them unless their mismanagement dooms them.

The true comparison of cruising on CCL or RCL boils down to CCL, better food, RCL better ships. Comparing financials between the 2 companies is not close enough to even be a joke. One is a profit juggernaught, the other a mismanaged mess.

I agree totally with this statement!:)

We certainly paid gratuities on our last NCL cruise and then some. A number of the employees were obviously overworked and close to the breaking point.

I agree that the silly insistence on "service fees" rather than "gratuities" on NCL is pointless. That said, on our recent Pearl cruise the crew was (with only one notable exception in the Kids' Club) friendly, helpful, and gracious.

No Gratuities? NCL has done away with their NON-ADJUSTIBLE, daily SERVICE CHARGE? When?

I was on thier web site today looking for gratuities in their FAQ baords and that is what they say. Is that new? or are they hiding something?

Also when I was researching them on a web based agency that lists on C.C. I saw the same thing nothing to allow for pre paid gratuities. That is when I decided to research a litle more.

Whats crazy is that I think NCL does that even more look at tier prices. They are cheap but then there are no gratuities but the encourage tipping for good service.

You most certainly do pay gratuities on NCL. Also, please do not go with an expectation that the service sucks. With the exception of my NCLA cruise (then Pride of Hawaii), I have always had excellent service on NCL.

I agree that the silly insistence on "service fees" rather than "gratuities" on NCL is pointless. That said, on our recent Pearl cruise the crew was (with only one notable exception in the Kids' Club) friendly, helpful, and gracious.

I had no problems with the crew and found them professional, but did sense a high level of stress, particularly with cabin stewards.

You most certainly do pay gratuities on NCL. Also, please do not go with an expectation that the service sucks. With the exception of my NCLA cruise (then Pride of Hawaii), I have always had excellent service on NCL.

I always thought that gratuities are paid on all Cruises. But I wanted to book a APR 2011 Cruise and they would not allow me to pre pay, to be more factual there was selection to pay fro gratuities. that is why I stopped booking and wanted to do more research. They do not call it gratuities they called it tipping and in thier own words you tip for good service. I know it sounds crazy but I must be nuts in reading that or they are serious. I willl have to back on thier web site and copy that. Because I was confused. it is Europeanesque on the tippping mind set. You only tip for good service and tips (they calll it different in Europe base on country) are included in your bill anyway.

I had no problems with the crew and found them professional, but did sense a high level of stress, particularly with cabin stewards.

I recognize that every cruise can be different, but in our case we never noticed any more "stress" in the NCL Pearl crew than in any of our Carnival crews.

I was on thier web site today looking for gratuities in their FAQ baords and that is what they say. Is that new? or are they hiding something?

Also when I was researching them on a web based agency that lists on C.C. I saw the same thing nothing to allow for pre paid gratuities. That is when I decided to research a litle more.

NCL "tips" are a fixed service charge and you can tip more, if desired.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

I recognize that every cruise can be different, but in our case we never noticed any more "stress" in the NCL Pearl crew than in any of our Carnival crews.

Agreed that cruises can be different. My last NCL cruise was about a year ago. The cabin stewards seem to work much much longer hours on NCL Spirit - something about they were responsible for more cabins than they used to be.

While all are probably overworked, on Carnival they always have time to stop and greet me by name and weren't visibly working as many hours.

Agreed that cruises can be different. My last NCL cruise was about a year ago. The cabin stewards seem to work much much longer hours on NCL Spirit - something about they were responsible for more cabins than they used to be.

While all are probably overworked, on Carnival they always have time to stop and greet me by name and weren't visibly working as many hours.

I agree, and that's always happened to me on Carnival too. It was exactly the same for us on pearl this past October. Our room steward, and even some others, always had a smile and sometimes a gift for our daughter. They were very friendly.

To be fair, though, the cruise was a very quiet one with a fairly light load, so it may be different on packed sailings.

I always thought that gratuities are paid on all Cruises. But I wanted to book a APR 2011 Cruise and they would not allow me to pre pay, to be more factual there was selection to pay fro gratuities. that is why I stopped booking and wanted to do more research. They do not call it gratuities they called it tipping and in thier own words you tip for good service. I know it sounds crazy but I must be nuts in reading that or they are serious. I willl have to back on thier web site and copy that. Because I was confused. it is Europeanesque on the tippping mind set. You only tip for good service and tips (they calll it different in Europe base on country) are included in your bill anyway.

What NCL does is a little different. They automatically add it daily to your on board account. If you do nothing, like request to pay it pre-cruise, this is how it will be automatically assessed. Celebrity also does it this way.

Also funny that you complain about CCL nickel & diming since your fave, RCL, is the ultimate leader in the "for an EXTRA charge," department.

Want a good burger? There's a charge for that!

Want a good steak in the DR? There's a charge for that!

Want late room service? There's a charge for that!

Want a lounge by the pool? There's a charge for that!

Want a past passenger party? There's a charge for that!

Yet they operate at a LOSS!

All that you mentioned is BS. A Carnival cheerleader that doesn't have their facts straight. Burgers are free if you want one, so is the steak, no charge for a lounge by the pool, no cost for past guest party. Totally BS answers by another non informed Carnivore.:rolleyes:

Oh you mean a perk for suite guests. Something a Carnival passenger wouldn't notice since Carnival doesn't have suites. Yes they try to call them suites but they are laughable.

I don't find them laughable. I think Carnival's suites are easily the best deal on the seas. For only a small amount more than a standard balcony you get a very large cabin and VIP embarkation/debarkation. One man's joke is another's great deal.

I don't find them laughable. I think Carnival's suites are easily the best deal on the seas. For only a small amount more than a standard balcony you get a very large cabin and VIP embarkation/debarkation. One man's joke is another's great deal.

I guess if Motel 6 is a persons idea of a good room then they would be very happy with the so called suites on Carnival. :rolleyes: HAL gives one the real definition of a real suite with real perks.

I find Carnival's suites to be consistent with RC's Junior suites (RC's lowest category of suites). They have the same perks and are similar size. Although, RC's JS's have coffee and tea makers. With a little research, the prices can also be comparable.

Archived