SNOW! in the Northeast Tomorrow! BLIZZARD!

MrPete

We got about a foot of snow.

[url]http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2070430630048107033flBngS[/url]

[url]http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2178707050048107033ReIEZu[/url]
My walkway and steps are under there somewhere.

[url]http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2813495840048107033PUAVvA[/url]

[quote name='hill6']We got about a foot of snow.

[URL]http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2070430630048107033flBngS[/URL]

[URL]http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2178707050048107033ReIEZu[/URL]
My walkway and steps are under there somewhere.

[URL]http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2813495840048107033PUAVvA[/URL][/quote]

NICE!
Looks deeper than a foot!:)

Hello my snowy friends!! Thought you might like to know what I was taught about areas of NY. :) Where I am(Oswego) is considered central NY..Up toward Massena and the Adirondacks is northern NY.. Albany area is upstate NY.. Buffalo area is western NY..Binghamton is downstate.. NYC is an area all its own.:):) Now how were you other NYers taught?? Should be interesting how other areas of the state are labeled..:) Lynne :)

[quote name='joeandaimeesmom']Hello my snowy friends!! Thought you might like to know what I was taught about areas of NY. :) Where I am(Oswego) is considered central NY..Up toward Massena and the Adirondacks is northern NY.. Albany area is upstate NY.. Buffalo area is western NY..Binghamton is downstate.. NYC is an area all its own.:):) Now how were you other NYers taught?? Should be interesting how other areas of the state are labeled..:) Lynne :)[/quote]
LOL~
Anything north of the Bronx is upstate..
Anything (5 boroughs)west of Nassau is the City..
Even though Brooklyn and Queens are physically part of Long Island they are not considered 'the island'

Staten Island is in a category all by itself lol.. it's really part of NJ lmao:D

[quote name='joeandaimeesmom']Hello my snowy friends!! Thought you might like to know what I was taught about areas of NY. :) Where I am(Oswego) is considered central NY..Up toward Massena and the Adirondacks is northern NY.. Albany area is upstate NY.. Buffalo area is western NY..Binghamton is downstate.. NYC is an area all its own.:):) Now how were you other NYers taught?? Should be interesting how other areas of the state are labeled..:) Lynne :)[/quote]
My general rule for NY counties is that if the MTA provides transportation in it, it's downstate. The only question mark there is Dutchess County - DH worked in Poughkeepsie many years ago, and most folks there would never consider it downstate. However, you can commute into NYC from there.

I'm just south of Albany. Here are my NY upstate regions:

Western NY - Buffalo, Rochester.
Central NY - Syracuse, Utica, Binghamton.
Capital District - Albany, Schenectady, Troy.
Adirondacks - Anything north of Saratoga.
Hudson Valley - Anything south of Albany and north of downstate.

And if you're in Oswego - We're thinking of you every time we see the weather forecasts for lake effect snow and being thankful we're not there.:D

[quote name='trock']You were lucky! It missed you! see my photo posted above!![/quote]
I noticed your new pix and is very pretty. You look very happy as well. Did you find a house to buy yet? No cruise for us this year we decided because DH wants to retire and also pay down the mortgage big time. I actually agreed to it but I am keeping my eye open for a great Med cruise in 2012 to celebrate the next round of graduations/anniversaries. However, the Glory is doing 5 nights to Canada in late June and you know we really liked that cruise, but of course we had 90 degrees the whole 5 days when we went in August 2007.

[quote name='Crusin6']I noticed your new pix and is very pretty. You look very happy as well. Did you find a house to buy yet? No cruise for us this year we decided because DH wants to retire and also pay down the mortgage big time. I actually agreed to it but I am keeping my eye open for a great Med cruise in 2012 to celebrate the next round of graduations/anniversaries. However, the Glory is doing 5 nights to Canada in late June and you know we really liked that cruise, but of course we had 90 degrees the whole 5 days when we went in August 2007.[/quote]
Thank you!
No luck selling the house yet :(.. but it's a bad economy and bad time of year..

I am not sure we are cruising next year.. Have to see what happens

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!!!

I agree with Trock. To those of us on (not "in":eek:) The Island, everything else is either The City or Upstate. Lots of snow here. Everything looks so pretty, especially with the Christmas lights. We usually don't get much snow because of the salt air but this time we got the brunt of it. No complaints:D We had a nice day baking cookies, drinking rum and watching Christmas movies. Good timing for us, as we don't sail for two weeks.

[quote name='MDSue']Maybe you need to bring a shovel and help us dig! It's not always as easy as it sounds. We don't get 20 inches everyday. I'm not sure where you live, but in a major metropolitan area, there is lots of snow to move and back roads that need clearing. The major arterys can be cleared quickly, but the back roads and parking lots take a bit longer. The stores close for the safety of all the employees who may not have cleared streets or four-wheel drives to get around. The Metro buses and trains were also not able to get around yesterday.
I think our raod crews did an excellent job, but for 24 hours the snow fell as fast as they could plow.
Today the sun is out-hopefully, they will make goood progress now[/QUOTE]

We got all that in Carson City And nearby Reno may have gotten even more.This was close to a record for us and we rarely get more than a couple of inches. For days afterward, the low temps were -5 or colder and the high in
the day was in the low teens,we didn't have the balmy upper 30 degree temps that the east coast is expected to get. My question is that if my metropolitan area can cope with far worst conditions (and we don't have a lot of plows),why can't the east? Our school buses chained up, we had very few
weather related accidents.

[quote name='trock']Thank you!
No luck selling the house yet :(.. but it's a bad economy and bad time of year..

I am not sure we are cruising next year.. Have to see what happens

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!!![/quote]
Merry Christmas to you and Alan as well!! It seems as though it was just yesterday that we were wishing Merry Christmas 2008!! It has flown by way too fast...in just a few months dd #1 will be done with 2 YEARS of college........didn't I just post that she was graduating high school?:eek:

My general rule for NY counties is that if the MTA provides transportation in it, it's downstate. The only question mark there is Dutchess County - DH worked in Poughkeepsie many years ago, and most folks there would never consider it downstate. However, you can commute into NYC from there.

And if you're in Oswego - We're thinking of you every time we see the weather forecasts for lake effect snow and being thankful we're not there.:D

It so nice to be thought of when the lake effect hits.:D Lynne :)

We got all that in Carson City And nearby Reno may have gotten even more.This was close to a record for us and we rarely get more than a couple of inches. For days afterward, the low temps were -5 or colder and the high in

the day was in the low teens,we didn't have the balmy upper 30 degree temps that the east coast is expected to get. My question is that if my metropolitan area can cope with far worst conditions (and we don't have a lot of plows),why can't the east? Our school buses chained up, we had very few

weather related accidents.

I think were coping fine- thanks

Having moved to Lawn Guyland "temporarily" for 18 years, when hearing I was from Yonkers, it was always mostly met with "Oh, upstate". :cool: It was always funny to hear.

What's funny is, your broken down list, to me, is just "upstate". :D

Archived