Need help planning Villefranche the weekend of the race....

ma23peas

Our cruise in May was supposed to port in Villefranche the Saturday of the big race there...they emailed us and told us they rearranged the itinerary so that we'll be there a day early...I'm not sure that's much help either, I'm assuming most will be arriving the day before! So I anticipate some issues with public transportation...this is our first cruise and we have 7 in our party (grandma, granddad, me, dh, kids ages 11-14)

I've heard neat things about Eze...we do not plan on doing any shopping...but like to see the slice of life kind of side of travel...Should we do Eze then Nice? should we just avoid Monte Carlo b/c of the race?? Will there be anything neat to see by going to Monte Carlo the day before the big race?

Thanks so much for any help!

Tara

Tara, I assume you are referring to the Monte Carlo Grand Prix which is run on the streets of Monte Carlo, not Villefranche. This will have very little or no impact on your port day...assuming you are there on Friday. If you would go to Monte Carlo (20 min train ride from Villefranche) you would certainly notice the grandstands and other race prep thoughout much of Monte Carlo. As to avoiding Monte Carlo, my DW and I always try to avoid Monte Carlo because we do not even like the place. But, if you want to visit the city than you should not have any problems other than there will be more folks in town than on most normal days. Eze is a small village that has lots of charm, quite a few artsy shops and also its share of cafes and restaurants. Nice is nice (especially the old town neighborhood). You did not mention our favorite regional town which is St Paul de Vence.

Hank

Hank! Yes! That's what I'm looking for is charm, we have no desire to go to Monte Carlo, I just imagined it only being 20 minutes away there would be traffic leading up to it...I am off to look at the new locale you mentioned, I really have no clue where to go but Eze sounds good for my mom who likes places like this. someone else had mentioned gardens of Rothschild? I love gardens....any other spots that are doable in a day? Thanks!!

Tara

Hank! Yes! That's what I'm looking for is charm, we have no desire to go to Monte Carlo, I just imagined it only being 20 minutes away there would be traffic leading up to it...I am off to look at the new locale you mentioned, I really have no clue where to go but Eze sounds good for my mom who likes places like this. someone else had mentioned gardens of Rothschild? I love gardens....any other spots that are doable in a day? Thanks!!

Tara

Just about anything is doable in a day but you need to decide whether to spend a longer time in a few places, or try to go to the maximum places with little time to see anything (more common than you would think). St Paul de Vence is the most difficult of the options (unless you take a tour) since its further from the port and has limited public transit (there are buses from the Gare Routier bus station in Nice). Eze is relatively close to the port, but does have its own issues regarding transportation. If using public transit you can take the train or bus to Eze/Bord sur Mer and than wait for the local bus that runs from the Eze train station up to the village (this bus runs an irregular schedule which can be frustrating). There are also buses that go directly to the Village of Eze from either Nice or Monte Carlo. The Villa Ephrusi (Rothschild place) is another good option that you can read about at http://www.villa-ephrussi.com/en/ephrussi/ . You should be able to couple a visit to the villa with a visit to either Eze or Nice. I believe the local bus line that connects Nice to Monte Carlo (and also stops at Villefranche) can get you within walking distance of the Villa, but you need to check this out with somebody who knows more than me.

Hank

Archived