Back to the Class System

jebl

If it's a remote airport with only 1 or 2 flights a day, overcrowding's not likely to be an issue.

You really are missing the point of this thread. Reread all my posts and come back to make a comment.

btw, it may have been "remote" airport for the OneWorld partner but not necessarily remote for other airlines, so it was still a busy airport. Get it?

You really are missing the point of this thread. Reread all my posts and come back to make a comment.

btw, it may have been "remote" airport for the OneWorld partner but not necessarily remote for other airlines, so it was still a busy airport. Get it?

Wouldn't be easier for you to succintly restate it as you see it? Things have apparently gotten somewhat convoluted and all I've noticed from your posts is you trying to prove someone else wrong about what airlines do compared to what cruiselines do.

Here's where I have a problem.

What is implied here is that as long as no one is looking it's OK to break the rules.... When does personal integrity apply?

Does it hurt anybody? No...probably not. Would I use someone elses perk? No' date=' I wouldn't. Would I give someone my pass to use? No, I wouldn't.

On the other hand, I don't smuggle booze onboard when it is clearly prohibited, don't share "soda cards" either.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters..."[/quote']

I was going to pull out my quote book, but I know that I have integrity, so I don't need to rely on pithy quotes to try to make people feel bad.

I am a strong believer in rules, but really? We're on a cruise ship. This all has to do with free booze and not dealing with riff raff? If you don't like the rules, then go on a different cruise line. No one is forcing anyone to go on RCI. Just because you have "earned" your D+ status or paid for your suite doesn't make you any better than me.

I was going to pull out my quote book, but I know that I have integrity, so I don't need to rely on pithy quotes to try to make people feel bad.

I am a strong believer in rules, but really? We're on a cruise ship. This all has to do with free booze and not dealing with riff raff? If you don't like the rules, then go on a different cruise line. No one is forcing anyone to go on RCI. Just because you have "earned" your D+ status or paid for your suite doesn't make you any better than me.

Bluegirlum... you would not be happening to watch that "news network" that has been chastised on this board would you? I mean, really, the word "pithy"?

I do agree with you on all points by the way, so don't get me wrong. It's just a lame attempt at humor. ;)

Bluegirlum... you would not be happening to watch that "news network" that has been chastised on this board would you? I mean, really, the word "pithy"?

I do agree with you on all points by the way, so don't get me wrong. It's just a lame attempt at humor. ;)

I'm an AC360 kind of girl. I will stop using that word now--I had no idea! Thanks for pointing that out! :eek:

It doesn't bother me so much that suite guests get additional perks. What bothers me is reserving public areas that already have limited capacity such as the pool deck, show lounge, beach at Labadee to the point that other guests are inconvienced. We all spend good money to be able to take a cruise and more so on RCI. To be denied a deck chair because of suite perks is a bit much!

It doesn't bother me so much that suite guests get additional perks. What bothers me is reserving public areas that already have limited capacity such as the pool deck, show lounge, beach at Labadee to the point that other guests are inconvienced. We all spend good money to be able to take a cruise and more so on RCI. To be denied a deck chair because of suite perks is a bit much!
In all seriousness, have you ever actually been denied a deck chair? Or have you only been denied a deck chair in what you considered a decent location with enough together to accommodate more than one person?

I ask because I've been on a few cruises and can't recall one instance of every deck chair on the whole ship being occupied, whether with a person or even just a towel and a book.

In all seriousness, have you ever actually been denied a deck chair? Or have you only been denied a deck chair in what you considered a decent location with enough together to accommodate more than one person?

I ask because I've been on a few cruises and can't recall one instance of every deck chair on the whole ship being occupied, whether with a person or even just a towel and a book.

I have to agree. Even on cruises that were fully booked, I have never seen a time where there were really NO deck chairs or show seats available. :)

I have to agree. Even on cruises that were fully booked, I have never seen a time where there were really NO deck chairs or show seats available. :)

Let me tell ya a story....there was a thread going very similar to this last year when they started to implement reserved seating. One poster started a similiar story that she couldn't find a lounger and was highly upset because there were some available that were reserved for suite guests only. Well I believe it wasn't till the thread got into about the 6th page that it was discovered under this same posters admission there were plenty loungers available but they were either forward or aft and she just felt that was to much of an inconvenience for her to walk to and from since she liked being by the main pool:rolleyes:

Let me tell ya a story....there was a thread going very similar to this last year when they started to implement reserved seating. One poster started a similiar story that she couldn't find a lounger and was highly upset because there were some available that were reserved for suite guests only. Well I believe it wasn't till the thread got into about the 6th page that it was discovered that under this same posters admission there were plenty loungers available but they were either forward or aft and she just felt that was to much of an inconvenience for her to walk when she liked being by the main pool:rolleyes:

Why am I not surprised to read this......:D

My experience:

There are always deck chairs.

The theatre DOES sometimes fill to capacity when there are some still looking for seats. It's a rare act that can draw them in like that, though.

Let me tell ya a story....there was a thread going very similar to this last year when they started to implement reserved seating. One poster started a similiar story that she couldn't find a lounger and was highly upset because there were some available that were reserved for suite guests only. Well I believe it wasn't till the thread got into about the 6th page that it was discovered that under this same posters admission there were plenty loungers available but they were either forward or aft and she just felt that was to much of an inconvenience for her to walk when she liked being by the main pool:rolleyes:

Exactly. There are more than enough chairs on board for every person on the ship. If you walk far forward you'll find stacks of them. They might be tied together depending on the weather but either way the deck staff will be happy to unstack them for you and move them anywhere there space. Not everyone can be right beside the pool but to say there were no lounge chairs available because of those reserved for suite guests is inaccurate.

Andrzej5914, you are so correct. Some people just don't get it, because they likely haven't "lived" it.
More likely, they haven't "earned" it, and can't abide that others have been able to do so. I enjoy what I have, and what I pay for, but I'm also willing to pay the price.

My experience:

There are always deck chairs.

The theatre DOES sometimes fill to capacity when there are some still looking for seats. It's a rare act that can draw them in like that, though.

I agree. Deck chairs have always been available on my cruises. Very seldom ever see the main theatre or ice show filled either. We used the seating for the ice show this year on the Adventure. I rather use my private balcony in place of the pool for relaxing.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that RCI is reverting to the old class system of cruising?

When I first started cruising everyone was equal and entitled to use all areas of the ship, sit wherever you could find a seat and use all of the beach areas on "private islands". The only thing you got by paying a higher price than the next person was roomier accomodations and some perks in your suite.

Now the suite passengers are getting a special section in the theater, by the pool on some ships, a special area on Labadee that used to be open to all.

Next I guess those of us who don't want to pay big bucks for a suite will be relegated to certain deck, dining rooms, etc.

I'm not sure if I really like this trend of separation.

It's funny you should say this, as I was thinking the exact same thing today. When I was on the Oasis, I chalked it up to RCI copying the Las Vegas template but this morning, I was thinking about my trips on the ferries in Greece and thought about the 1st, 2nd and 3rd class passage that you can book. When I'm island hopping, I book 3rd class which gets you a seat on the decks but it's island hopping, not really cruising.Everything is cyclical is it not? I wouldn't be surprised if the class system returns to cruising.

It can be done well or poorly. I have been on the QM2, which has a real "class system" and it was barely noticible. But on RCI, where I have been many times and spent a lot of money, I have often been made to actually FEEL like a second class citizen.

The QM2's class system is like our own in America ... we put our less fortunate people in ghettos and unless you happen to drive by one day, you forget they're even there and vice versa.RCI and the mid range family cruise companies are more like Mexico ... the poor live in shacks right next to mansions that have big walls around them. Both classes are reminded of each other's presence on a daily basis.

I agree. Deck chairs have always been available on my cruises. Very seldom ever see the main theatre or ice show filled either. We used the seating for the ice show this year on the Adventure. I rather use my private balcony in place of the pool for relaxing.

When we have a balcony, we like the balcony too, but one of the things that RCI promotes is its pools. I'm not a sun person, so I'm happy to take a chair in the shade, but I really like going in the pool. I don't care about the shows, but part of being on a cruise, to me, is being able to hang out by the pool. If/when I want to go in the pool, I shouldn't have to walk 5 decks. The thing about the roped off deck chairs is that the anecdotal evidence shows that they aren't really being used. If the other perks are being used, then that's great. But I would argue that most people that go on a cruise want to use the pool/pool area at some point. I can take or leave a show.

Enjoy your speciality seats in the theaters, the pool, etc. Just remember, What goes around, comes around. Happy Cruising!

Oh I think that comment is painfully inaccurate. While the best cabin I've ever sailed in was a JS and the majority of the rest are interiors, this is NOT a "karma" thing. Why would someone who pays extra for amenities be looked at as a bad person who deserves bad in return???

I doubt most of them are thinking, "Boy everyone on this ship who isn't in a suite is a real dirtbag." Am I COMPLETELY envious of suite guests. You bet. But (except for those damn roped off deck chairs) I certainly think if they paid $3,000pp for the same cruise I paid $500 for, they certainly deserve to not eat breakfast with us losers, a mint on their pillow and a robe in their cabin.

I mean...it's not like they were in steerage and someone handed them a Diamond Lounge key and they went in and had free drinks for 2 1/2 hours. Now THAT'S sick! :p

Oh I think that comment is painfully inaccurate. While the best cabin I've ever sailed in was a JS and the majority of the rest are interiors, this is NOT a "karma" thing. Why would someone who pays extra for amenities be looked at as a bad person who deserves bad in return???

I doubt most of them are thinking, "Boy everyone on this ship who isn't in a suite is a real dirtbag." Am I COMPLETELY envious of suite guests. You bet. But (except for those damn roped off deck chairs) I certainly think if they paid $3,000pp for the same cruise I paid $500 for, they certainly deserve to not eat breakfast with us losers, a mint on their pillow and a robe in their cabin.

I mean...it's not like they were in steerage and someone handed them a Diamond Lounge key and they went in and had free drinks for 2 1/2 hours. Now THAT'S sick! :p

Yeah, those people should have their Savory Bite privileges revoked FOREVER! Sheesh. Some people.

Yeah, those people should have their Savory Bite privileges revoked FOREVER! Sheesh. Some people.

Oh good LORD. If someone had been standing outside the speakea...I mean Diamond Lounge's door and said, "If you enter the inner sanctum, you can never have a savory bite again," you bet I would've dropped the card and RAN.

The QM2's class system is like our own in America ... we put our less fortunate people in ghettos and unless you happen to drive by one day, you forget they're even there and vice versa.RCI and the mid range family cruise companies are more like Mexico ... the poor live in shacks right next to mansions that have big walls around them. Both classes are reminded of each other's presence on a daily basis.

I have to disagree strongly on this one. It was what I thought might be before my crossing on the QM2 but it was so absolutely not the truth.

I was in what would be considered "steerage" on QM2 or better be addressed as Britannia class. I never felt like being put in a ghetto. Actually you couldn´t tell who had what cabin out and around the ship unless you placed yourself at the Dining room entrances to see who dined where.

Yes there are three different Dining Rooms, but being the "Steerage class" one the most central one and biggest one it´s far from being in a remote ghetto area. If appropriate at all, which it isn´t IMO, you could say that about the Grill Dining Rooms. They were much more out of the way.

Aside from the Dining Rooms they had the Queens Grill Lounge which would be something similar to the CL on RCI ships. The difference here was that on the QM2 this room had a sign outside for which group of passengers it was, but the door was not locked and I was even able to step inside during the day and have a look around. Not sure if it was somehow "guarded" at night. However again I think suite pax on RCI are more behind locked doors (in a ghetto - your words not mine) than on QM2.

Last place was an open deck area with a hot tub on it that was reserved for "Grill" guests and again it was not in a remote area.

I really don´t understand your comments about QM2 and I´m curious as to why you felt like this cruising on the QM2 - and making such comments I assume you have cruised on QM2.

Guess what? When I held the top status with American Airlines, one of the perks included the option to a guaranteed seat, purchased at the last minute, even on a sold out flight, so technically, as long as I was willing to pay full fare, I was able to bump some poor economy seat soul out, and thus the passenger would be denied boarding. I never used that option but it's listed in the Executive Platinum book which you get with the card every year and on their website.

That is absolutely disgusting. It's no wonder AA is terrible and airlines have totally nosedived. To take such a ridiculously entitled attitude toward the customers paying for the service provided is horrible. In the end, its the companies that treat all of their CUSTOMERS (lets not forget, it's not a private club - cruisers and airline customers are purchasing a service, not joining a social event) well and respond to complaints well that pull ahead. There are plenty of examples of it and plenty examples of the greedy and smug going bankrupt.

That is absolutely disgusting. It's no wonder AA is terrible and airlines have totally nosedived. To take such a ridiculously entitled attitude toward the customers paying for the service provided is horrible. In the end, its the companies that treat all of their CUSTOMERS (lets not forget, it's not a private club - cruisers and airline customers are purchasing a service, not joining a social event) well and respond to complaints well that pull ahead. There are plenty of examples of it and plenty examples of the greedy and smug going bankrupt.

Hi Lucky... I usually agree with you, but this time don't really understand why you think what andrjez posted was disgusting.

He like I held/hold top tier status on AA and in the past I've held top tier status on NW, CO and DL. They all have similar policies and I think they should for their high revenue customers- that not to say they shouldn't treat all customers well. But I enjoy having a guaranteed seat when I'm in Dallas and need to see a client in Seattle at the last minute. I also enjoy my complimentary first class upgrades and fast tracking through security and customs. After all, when you are putting over 100,000 butt in seat miles a year, you deserve some perks.

The cruise lines and in this case RCI is doing somewhat the same thing for suite guests and D+ C&A members. Suites, because they are high revenue and D+'s because they've shown their loyalty to RCI and have in the aggregate provided a lot of revenue for the cruise line.

Let's face it, I'm paying $700pp for my Voyager and Serenade balcony cabins. If people are paying 2 or 3x that for a suite, they deserve the added benefits as they are paying for it.

Archived