Concierge Class

Goldeneye

I have always heard that the aft cabins have a lot of motion/sea sickness issues because you feel so much roll of the ship. True or Not?

Thanks

I'd say this is true to a certain extent, but the term "a lot" is very relative to one's sensitivity. We have found that there is definitely a bit more motion in the aft, especially in rougher seas. There is also a bit more vibration when pulling into port early in the morning. We don't find any of this objectionable and love the aft cabins, but we've known some who dislike the aft cabins for these reasons. If one is sensitive to the sea, easily becomes seasick, or would be bothered by the early morning vibration, then I'd recommend a mid-ship cabin.

I've heard many times that the place on the ship where there is the least amount of motion and vibration is mid-ship on mid to lower level decks.

I'd say this is true to a certain extent, but the term "a lot" is very relative to one's sensitivity. We have found that there is definitely a bit more motion in the aft, especially in rougher seas.

We had a couple of rough days at sea and I would agree. The greater your resistance to motion, the more you will enjoy aft cabins. For those who have not tested their level of "seaworthiness", stick to lower decks midship.

We went on a two week TA on the Summit in December and only paid $50 each extra for CC. We got anything we wanted for the afternoon appetizer, cheese, crackers and shrimp cocktail. Since the free bottle of Champagne was provided by Celebrity they let us bring it to the table (they chilled it first) and share with our tablemates with no corkage fee. The breakfast room service is enhanced with free fresh fruit smoothies and a choice of several fresh squeezed juices. Nice touches that I wouldn't pay a lot for but more than worth the small amount we paid.

• 3 weeks later...

We selected a balcony cabin because we felt that we would watch the canal from the comfort of our balcony. I selected Concierge Class simply because the room was larger and, in our case, it was only about $100pp more than a standard balcony.

We feel that Concierge Class is worth the extra cost. The robes are much nicer, the bedding, pillows and shower head is said to be nicer but we have nothing to compare it to. What we like is the fruit in the room, the welcome bottle of champagne (which we finally drank on the 6th day), but the room service is really much better. Instead of being restricted to a limited choice, pre-reserved room service menu, we can call the moment of, and receive anything that the dining room has to offer - rather quickly - 5 minutes for coffee. Additionally, the Concierge really does function as a Concierge and will recommend restaurants in a future port of call and call ahead for reservations. Someone on CruiseCritic disparaged the afternoon canapés provided to Concierge Class cabins but we disagree and enjoy them each afternoon with a glass of red wine. They are savories and caviar - possibly the critic prefers sweets. We feel that Concierge Class is worth it and will select it again when we next cruise with Celebrity.

Just wondering about the tote bag that is provided with CC - is it more substantial than the ones provided in regular cabins (very thin, blue fabric - fine for towels) - we usually also bring our own as well. We will be in our first CC cabin this March on the Summitt.

Thanks. Vicky

Yes, it is a nice, heavy blue canvas tote bag with a zipper, carrying case and leatherette handles. The Celebrity marking is muted, so the bag is very usable without being advertising for Celebrity. The bag measures 15x19 inches with an 8-inch bottom. See the photo.

IMG_1685.jpg.5beba57e6dafd5ef441a4bcc536e6739.jpg

Be advised that our CC cabin also had binoculars adequate for our use. They were similar to the ones at this link:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/simmons-waterproof-binoculars-wilderness-10x25.html

Thus, this is something else that you may not need to pack. You have to leave the binoculars in the vabin unless you want to pay $20 for them.

According to an amenity booklet in the room, were also supposed to have personalized stationary and a small folding umbrella, neither of which was present. There was, however, a large golf-size umbrella.

Our first trip on Celebrity coming up. We booked CC due to a very small cost difference.

Is there anything of value to the dining and seating preference they mention?

Not sure. When I made our reservations I got exactly what we wanted - table for two in the first seating. Was getting what I wanted special? - I'll never know.

I did appreciate the free travel deviation. I used it to change my flights to arrive a day earlier w/o extra cost.

The CC cabins had a special debarkation area in the cinema e/w beverages and snacks. This was much better than the zoo upstairs in the main areas.

The CC cabins had a special debarkation area in the cinema e/w beverages and snacks. This was much better than the zoo upstairs in the main areas.

Did you also have breakfast on debarkation day? I am wondering if the "beveage and snacks" are substantial or if I should make sure to get down to the breakfast when is offered in the dining room. We are on Century, CS2, on a December sailing.

Did you also have breakfast on debarkation day? I am wondering if the "beverage and snacks" are substantial or if I should make sure to get down to the breakfast when is offered in the dining room. We are on Century, CS2, on a December sailing.

In our opinion the only really good place for breakfast on disembarkation morning is the main dining room and it is usually the only time during a cruise that we go there. We get ready to leave the room (all packed up) go to breakfast toward the end of the breakfast time, and then pick up our stuff and clear out of the room. We avoid the buffet which is usually a mad house on disembarkation morning as there are too many people eating at the same time. Room service is sometimes offered and sometimes not on disembarkation morning.

We do enjoy the CC room but do find we need to order breakfast the night before to avoid long (20 to 40 minute) waits. If CELEM got 5 minute service that would not be the norm that we found, although an order of just coffee has sometimes been delivered in 15 minutes, more or less.

Also we've found the binoculars provided in the CC rooms, although better than nothing, are more or less toy-like. We like to have nice binoculars handy and bring some along from home to have handy for spotting.

In our opinion the only really good place for breakfast on disembarkation morning is the main dining room and it is usually the only time during a cruise that we go there. We get ready to leave the room (all packed up) go to breakfast toward the end of the breakfast time, and then pick up our stuff and clear out of the room. We avoid the buffet which is usually a mad house on disembarkation morning as there are too many people eating at the same time.

I agree entirely. I try to have the latest breakfast possible and then find a quiet place on the ship to relax. I plan on afternoon flights so that I don't have any rush during debarkation.

I just don't understand why so many people take their last day of a vacation and waste it by being stressed trying to get off the ship quickly.

Dear Celem - thanks for the info and picture of the tote bag.

We also go to the main dining room for breakfast the last day (eggs benedict) although now I have read that the menu on the last day will be very limited. Anyone have experience recently with this?

vicky

Dear Celem - thanks for the info and picture of the tote bag.

We also go to the main dining room for breakfast the last day (eggs benedict) although now I have read that the menu on the last day will be very limited. Anyone have experience recently with this?

vicky

Full MDR breakfast menu as of last November on the Equinox, and cruises prior to that. Only limited last morning menu I've seen has been room service which on different cruises on Celebrity over the years has varied inconsistently between none available, continental breakfast, and regular room service offerings.

Did you also have breakfast on debarkation day? I am wondering if the "beveage and snacks" are substantial or if I should make sure to get down to the breakfast when is offered in the dining room. We are on Century, CS2, on a December sailing.

We ate breakfast at the buffet but we eat early and the crush comes later in the morning. The CC debarkation room had coffee, water, orange juice, various danishes and croissants. You could choose the MDR instead of the buffet, your choice. However, the CC debarkation room was certainly better than the common areas. Now, if they had been playing some sort of film on the cinema screen, it would have been even better.

Re coffee delivery: We had a pot of coffee delivered on about half the mornings, or seven in all. Each time the were about five minutes. When we ordered a full breakfast one morning it took fifteen minutes. We were on the Constellation on deck 9 and the buffet is on 10 so close proximity may have made for speeder delivery.

I've heard many times that the place on the ship where there is the least amount of motion and vibration is mid-ship on mid to lower level decks.
That is very true, as I found out for myself. On one cruise when we had an aft balcony cabin we hit very rough seas and really felt the motion in our cabin, getting bounced around. It was one of those nights where objects were flying off counters and shelves, crashing to the floor, and drawers kept swinging open and shut. Still not as bad at the back of the ship as at the front where they had to cancel the show in the theater.

To test out the low and middle theory, I took the central elevator down to the lowest deck, got off and stood for a while right in the center of the ship during the roughest part of the storm. Sure enough, I felt practically no motion at all down there.

We have had a Summit cabin near the aft. Actually there was one cabin between us and the aft cabins with the huge balconies. It was the only cruise during which we have definitely noticed more motion than any of our other mid-ship cabins. For that reason we try not to book cabins past the aft elevators.

I have always heard that the aft cabins have a lot of motion/sea sickness issues because you feel so much roll of the ship. True or Not?

Thanks

We were in a cabin just aft of the aft elevator on the Constellation (Cabin 9175). Its motion was no more, or less, than most places on the ship except for forward positions. It is my experience that the closer to the bow you are the more motion you'll receive.

Is it worth paying extra and going for concierge class ??

We selected a balcony cabin because we felt that we would watch the canal from the comfort of our balcony. I selected Concierge Class simply because the room was larger and, in our case, it was only about $100pp more than a standard balcony.

We feel that Concierge Class is worth the extra cost. The robes are much nicer, the bedding, pillows and shower head is said to be nicer but we have nothing to compare it to. What we like is the fruit in the room, the welcome bottle of champagne (which we finally drank on the 6th day), but the room service is really much better. Instead of being restricted to a limited choice, pre-reserved room service menu, we can call the moment of, and receive anything that the dining room has to offer - rather quickly - 5 minutes for coffee. Additionally, the Concierge really does function as a Concierge and will recommend restaurants in a future port of call and call ahead for reservations. Someone on CruiseCritic disparaged the afternoon canapés provided to Concierge Class cabins but we disagree and enjoy them each afternoon with a glass of red wine. They are savories and caviar - possibly the critic prefers sweets. We feel that Concierge Class is worth it and will select it again when we next cruise with Celebrity.

IMG_0822.jpg.fc26d173b4ce9487b3f86d30d1c47db8.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg.7cdf057ea3f5f617543ac0b85c04c834.jpg

Archived