?s re: taxi v. car rental on St. Barts

Wide Open Sea

Bonjour,

Have read prior posts re: getting around St. Barts for a day visitor and wanted to get some added input from people on this message board.

Re: taxis-- on the St. Barts Tourism website-- www.saintbarth-tourisme.com taxis are listed by individual and cab # --should one attempt to reserve a ride in advance if one wishes a multi-stop itinerary about the Island for a day? Is there anyone in particular people would recommend?

Re: car rental--I've read of the fun and challenges driving on St. Barts. Is it safer to drive clockwise on the island? Are the roads to avoid? Is 4-WD a must in your opinion?

Merci & Happy Traveling

• 4 weeks later...

Bonjour and hello. We rented a jeep in St. Barts from Hertz. From where the tender put us, it was a short walk to the Hertz "office" located in a small exchange bank. A Hertz rep picked me up and took me to the airport (about 5 minutes away) to get the car. It cost about $80 for the day, but the car was in decent condition, and the roads weren't bad. I think all of the car rental places are at the airport, although some may give a different location and do what Hertz does - send someone to pick you up. We got lost a time or two, but the island is small, so it's not a huge deal. We mostly just drove around, ending up at the public beach (cute cemetery but ugly beach), Corossol, Columbier (some scenic viewpoints there), Grande Saline (missed the views, however - think you have to walk there, and we didn't know exactly where to walk), St. Jean, where we had an expensive club sandwich, and then Grand Fond, which was stunning - very wild, hilly, etc. Then we returned the car to the airport and they drove us back to the dock. Allow extra time to get back, as you sometimes have to wait for the rep to come - for example, when he/she is driving a renter back to the dock! From the tender location, I walked up to the "lighthouse" on the hill at Fort Gustave (have to use Rue Nyman, I think - not the street that runs right along the marina). The walk took about 15 minutes, and gave me a great view of the harbor. Then I walked another 15 minutes or so to the famous La Tourment circle where planes go overhead. You'll know it by the big statue in the middle of the circle. You don't have to wait long before a plane comes along - quietly, out of nowhere! It was very fun just standing there, taking pictures of cars and planes in close proximity!

Driving wasn't really easy or trouble-free, but I would do it again. The roads are hilly and sometimes bumpy but overall in very good shape. We picked up a map at the tourist booth near the tender spot, but it was only moderately helpful, as many roads aren't marked well - either on the map or on the roads themselves. Before you set out, it's helpful to study the map and orient yourself as to which towns are which direction. Be careful when driving in Gustavia, as the streets are clogged and narrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. We rented a 4wd small SUV from Islandat the airport. They came to pick me up in Gustavia, took me back to do the paperwork, and I then went back to pick up the family. We sort of went clockwise, but that's just because I prefer being on the "inside." There is nothing wrong going either direction - it's a very small island and backtracking is no big deal. Roads are in good shape, but sometimes amazingly vertical. I never was worried and would go there again to rent a car in a heartbeat.

The road to Governuer beach (sp?) was somewhat narrow, but lordy that's a nice beach. Overall it was one of our favorite islands. Yes, you can pay a lot for food etc. there, or a little. Depends on what you want to do.

• 2 weeks later...

We rented our car from Alamo. As soon as you get off the tender from your ship, they have a booth called St Barts Tours and Travel where they will meet you. We picked up and dropped off our rental right at the port - very convenient. Try to book it online - we were able to get a price in USD instead of Euros and saved a bundle.

Joe

• 9 months later...
We rented our car from Alamo. As soon as you get off the tender from your ship, they have a booth called St Barts Tours and Travel where they will meet you. We picked up and dropped off our rental right at the port - very convenient. Try to book it online - we were able to get a price in USD instead of Euros and saved a bundle.

Joe

delete

Archived