new ship

niya305

I thinK the idea came more from Aker finyards the ship builder then

NCL,but either way I think its great. The design will be similar to

carnivals spirit class ships which I think are great layed out ships.

Im really interested in seeing the deck plans for her. It should be

great.

HLP

The Jewel is not the newbuild which will have all balconies. It will be modeled more like the Dawn and Star. The one with all balconies is scheduled for delivery in May 2007.

There's also another newbuild modeled after the Spirit scheduled for delivery in February 2007.

Rich

Carefree Vacations

nhrich is correct, This is a totaly different design from a

different ship yard. The final approval hasnt even finished

yet. NCL will release ships in this order I believe

2005---Pride of America

2005---Jewel

2006---Jewel clone

2006---This new design

Not sure when Pride of Hawaii comes out.

HLP

nhrich is correct, This is a totaly different design from a

different ship yard. The final approval hasnt even finished

yet. NCL will release ships in this order I believe

2005---Pride of America

2005---Jewel

2006---Jewel clone

2006---This new design

HLP

The 2006/2007 ships were the ones I was refering to. Can't wait to see deck plans for those ships.

It was only a matter of time before a ship came out with all balcony outsides: the cruiselines can charge more for them. Still a neat idea though.

Personally, I have one small issue with the newest ship designs on most lines. Generally there are now several decks of cabins sandwiched between the top pool deck and the major public rooms (this new NCL design looks like the public rooms are near the waterline). This means if you're in the sun and want to go inside for a while your stuck with the buffet, spa or maybe an observation lounge close by. I kinda like how on Carnival's Fantasy Class one flight of stairs brings you from the pool deck to the major public rooms and indoor promenade. On there newest ships it's 4 to 6 decks down before you hit the public spaces.

Of all the ships out there now, RCCL's Voyager class gives me the most mixed feelings. Nice passenger flow and the indoor streetscape, and some very dramatic spaces. But they are such an inwardly looking design! Half the time I forgot I was at sea because the room I was in had no or a limited view. And the lack of outdoor dinning in the buffet is a huge oversight IMHO.

There was new ship design meant to improve safety that I thought was interesting. The idea was for the ship to have evacuation equipment on the lowest passenger deck, the cabins above that, followed by the public rooms and then the pool up top. The idea was in the event of an emergancy and evacuation passengers would all be moving in the same direction. If you were by the pool or in a public room you would move down to your cabin to dress warmly and grab your lifevest and then continue down to evacuation deck. What I like about this is the opportunity for all the public rooms to have really great views.

Another neat design exercise had a ship so wide the cabins were in two long towers along the sides of the ship with enough room for a sun deck down low, partly off the stern like a traditional ocean liner and partly between the towers. This has the advantage of placing some of the pools on a lower deck, lowering the center of gravity and allowing for a decent size pool instead of the backyard size ones you see on the top decks of all current ships.

The newest NCL ship will likely have somewhat smaller windows in the public spaces since these rooms are all so close to the waterline. Since I tend to be out and about on a cruise (and usually have an inside cabin) the balconies really excite me less than innovative public areas.

Robsvactions,

Ive read your reply a couple of times and I have to admit

I agree with much of what you wrote. Even though I enjoy

balcony cabins the most, much of the bright open public

rooms have been placed too low as you describe. Even the

resturaunts dont seem to be as bright and the views are too

limited. Unfortunetly I dont see any way around this with the

love affair most cruisers seem to balconies. But I really could

relate to much of what you wrote.

HLP

Archived