Strategy for coming into LAX late the night before a cruise.

Square

My wife and I are flying into LAX and our plane is scheduled to land around 9:15 on a Friday night. We are cruising on Princess the next day. I've read some posts stating that the LAX airport area is pretty harsh so my question is this. Should I try to stay more towards the pier or just put up with it (just looking to crash) and get a shuttle/taxi the next day? I'm guessing we'd like to just relax in our room Friday night so I really don't care about the surrounding area too much. It'd be nice to be able to take a shuttle to a Vonns or grocery store somewhere so that we can pickup some supplies. Would that favor going towards the pier or just stay by the airport and pay a taxi to wait for us the next day?

I've also been unable to find too much info on the availability of taxis when leaving the San Pedro pier. We will be returning on a Saturday (i assume that shouldn't be as busy as a Sunday) and need to get to LAX asap (have a noon flight). I know a taxi costs a bit more but I'd really not like to risk it. So as long as I'm ok with the money, are there plenty of taxis available? Or should I book a shuttle so I know I'll have a ride waiting? Any help is greatly appreciated. We just booked this trip last minute and we leave in mid-January. Thanks!

You have a couple of options...

Since it's 9:15 PM, there won't be a lot of traffic between LAX and San Pedro...

So...

You could get a taxi or SuperShuttle and head to San Pedro.

Crown Plaza will have lots more restaurants and such in walking distance by the time you get there, if you need food.

They can also shuttle you to Vons to pick up supplies, or if you just need wine you can get Off The Vines to deliver to your hotel.

Click here for pictures:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=601984

You can also check out Doubletree, they will shuttle you to Vons - but restaurant choices are more limited at that time of night.

pictures:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=602015

Both of these though, will get you to San Pedro, where you can relax, crash, and sleep in late in the morning. Both will shuttle you to the pier.

So, your morning is easier.

Or, you can just get a free LAX shuttle to one of the good hotels nearby, but not in the direct LAX area (on Century Blvd = bad).

Radisson Westside is a good option.

Click here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=900867

There shuttles are great and run very often. There are restaurants in a short safe walk that are open late for dinner and breakfast.

There is a CVS and Alberstson's for everything you need, right behind the hotel.

This means you could easily get everything you need that night, or the next morning with a lot of options and convenience.

Then just take a SuperShuttle to the pier in the morning (Saturday morning will only have light traffic).

My last option would be Hacienda Hotel south of LAX.

Click here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=900964

Decent restaurant in the hotel. Free shuttles from LAX.

A very nice Ralph's grocery store across the street.

Again, you can get everything you need the night before or next morning, then SuperShuttle to the pier.

All of these options will work for you. So you have a few good choices.

As far as taxis and SuperSuttles on the way back, there will be plenty waiting at the pier.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

1) You're awesome for being so quick and I've read a lot of your very helpful posts in other threads.

2) So how long would the LAX to San Pedro trip with "not a lot of traffic". I've had people tell me the distance isn't that far but the traffic can get crazy. Are we talking 45 minutes to take supershuttle? I mean I'd probably be off the plane around 9:15 and then have to wait for 30-40 minutes to get bags and meet the driver. I'm not against it, I'm just trying to see what I'd be looking at.

3) the Radisson sounds ideal and I have a strange question for you. I'm looking at some stuff on Hotwire to shave some money and I'm pretty sure I'm looking at the Radisson but there is a fair chance it is the Hilton as well. Would I be in a bad spot if I ended up at the Hilton? Is there some kind of market (water, soda, maybe some alcohol) around that hotel?

Again, huge thanks.

1) You're awesome for being so quick and I've read a lot of your very helpful posts in other threads.

2) So how long would the LAX to San Pedro trip with "not a lot of traffic". I've had people tell me the distance isn't that far but the traffic can get crazy. Are we talking 45 minutes to take supershuttle? I mean I'd probably be off the plane around 9:15 and then have to wait for 30-40 minutes to get bags and meet the driver. I'm not against it, I'm just trying to see what I'd be looking at.

3) the Radisson sounds ideal and I have a strange question for you. I'm looking at some stuff on Hotwire to shave some money and I'm pretty sure I'm looking at the Radisson but there is a fair chance it is the Hilton as well. Would I be in a bad spot if I ended up at the Hilton? Is there some kind of market (water, soda, maybe some alcohol) around that hotel?

Again, huge thanks.

The last time we were there we had to wait - in the afternoon - for 30 minutes for the driver to show up at LAX and then another 15 while he drove around the airport looking for other riders. Usually it's better than that.

Normally, I would be right with Curt on this one...

But, with you cruising on Princess, there is one more VERY GOOD option...

Princess offers a very reasonable hotel package...One night at the LAX Marriott--including transfers to the pier in San Pedro--for only $69 per person...

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/laxap-los-angeles-airport-marriott/

Now, I ordinarily don't recommend this hotel...not because it's not a nice hotel...it is...but because there's not a lot around this area...

Except, with your flight arriving at 9:15, you aren't really going to go out looking for a nice dinner... You won't get out of the airport until 10 at the earliest--and that's if your flight is on time and your luggage is first onto the carousel...

The Marriott has a complimentary shuttle that will pick you up at the terminal and take you to the hotel...

Who cares where you're staying because you will probably go right to bed...

The next day, Princess will handle all of the details on getting you to the pier...No shuttle or taxi expense, no reservations to make...

The only thing you'll not get with this setup is that stop at a grocery store...You could find a taxi to take you back and forth late at night or early in the morning before your trip to the pier...but...why bother? Is the inconvenience worth whatever you cannot carry with you?

Ralphs Supermarket is a mile and a half away:

8825 South Sepulveda Boulevard

Los Angeles, CA 90045-4809

If items are small, just buy them back home and take them in a carry on...If it's heavy stuff, like cases of soda or water, just buy a soda card on the ship...It's not worth the hassle...

With the Princess deal, you're only paying $138 and it's worry-free...

right outside the luggage pickup areas are the stands for cabs and

taxi s..

in the future we ll probably cab it..we came in at commute hour and took us nearly 2 hrs to get to San Pedro..

if you need to crash real fast..fine a hotel with a shuttle pick-up..there s alot around LAX area..

when you debark..you ll find a ample suppy of cabs and van s right infront of the cruise terminal..on a weekend many of the cabs will be dedicated to LAX or Long Beach so so get on one of those instead of one making several stops..if you ve got a flight befor noon..then id definitely cab it..

Unless you're flying in on a holiday weekend (which it won't be in mid January, unless you're talking about the weekend before MLK Day), I would think traffic would be fairly clear heading to San Pedro. By the time you get your luggage, it'll be closer to 10. Even with the time change, I would still get to the hotel and then crash for the night. In the morning, you can catch the hotel shuttle to a nearby store like Vons. (In California, you can buy liquor in grocery stores and drugstores) It's a good plan in case you're into Pepsi products (like me -- a cheap Coke card isn't going to do it for getting my Dew fix) or forgot something at home. And in order to do this shopping if you stay near the airport, you'll have to get a taxi.

Thanks for all the input. We are looking at coming in on Friday the 15th (weekend before MLK day) so we might be better off finding something near LAX. I still have to talk to the wife, but typically she turns into a pumpkin once it gets dark (we're not very old, but she gets the tired mom syndrome) so I don't know how late of a night she'll want to make it.

Square,

All of the suggestions have been good ones but Bruin's is the one I would select. The Marriott is a nice hotel close to LAX, and it is very helpful to have Princess take you directly to the cruise terminal from your hotel. And at $69.00 per person for a room and no hassle transportation to the cruise terminal is an excellent price.

In San Pedro, there are some wine shops and grocery stores within walking distance of the cruise terminal.

Thanks for all the input fellas. My wife decided she wants to tough it out and try to get all the way to the pier on Friday night. So, I found the Doubletree on Hotwire for $69/night. Booked that and then added a Supershuttle service (found a $3 off coupon code through google).

Total Hotel after taxes = $84.80

Airport to hotel shuttle (Grat included) = $36.50

Total transfer and hotel *(after tax & tips) = $121.30

Not bad for a first timer to the area. Will plan on having the doubletree shuttle drop us off to a grocery store Saturday morning and then to the cruise so we'll be ready to board first thing. You've all been a big help! Thank you very much for contributing to this board (I'm sure it's thankless at times).

Square,

You have done very well in terms of price and other arrangements.

The only downside that your wife should know about, is that it may take you quite a bit longer to get to your room after a long plane flight than if you stayed near LAX. At LAX, after you retrieve your luggage, walk outside the terminal and look for ground transportation...you will see Super Shuttle's blue vans. Once on board the van, the driver may circle LAX for passengers and may make stops to drop off passengers at residences or other hotels along the way.

But please remember that you have no hassles, that is, negotiating a fare with a taxi driver at LAX after a long day of traveling.

And...join the CC Roll Call for your cruise, as there will be a lively back and forth about the ship, ports and so on.

Wishing you and your DW a wonderful cruise.

Thanks for all the input fellas. My wife decided she wants to tough it out and try to get all the way to the pier on Friday night.

You did great. I think it's a great choice, because you are "there" and so you can just relax and sleep in Saturday morning.:D

Not bad for a first timer to the area. Will plan on having the doubletree shuttle drop us off to a grocery store Saturday morning and then to the cruise so we'll be ready to board first thing. You've all been a big help! Thank you very much for contributing to this board (I'm sure it's thankless at times).

Vons grocery store is the closest one.

If you have time, then Rex's is great for breakfast nearby (walking distance)

l

(although the Doubletree Hotel breakfast is decent).

Don't forget to talk to the front desk the night before though, about the shuttle and the times that you'll need it. They have two (sometimes three), but it can get busy on a cruise morning if everyone is trying to get to the pier at the same time...

Have a great cruise!:D

Square,

I promise this is my last post...try to get up early the next morning as there are some nice walking paths close to the hotel. The hotel overlooks a marina so you can have a nice walk and look at sailboats and other boats.

And you should notify the front desk when you check in, that you want the shuttle to take you to the cruise terminal the next day. Have some money for the hotel's shuttle bus driver if he helps you with your luggage.

Thanks for all the input fellas. My wife decided she wants to tough it out and try to get all the way to the pier on Friday night. So, I found the Doubletree on Hotwire for $69/night. Booked that and then added a Supershuttle service (found a $3 off coupon code through google).

Total Hotel after taxes = $84.80

Airport to hotel shuttle (Grat included) = $36.50

Total transfer and hotel *(after tax & tips) = $121.30

I've been trying to get DoubleTree or Crowne Plaza on Priceline. I'm up to $100 and haven't been able to get it. I've never used Hotwire - can you tell me how many stars you bid on Hotwire? Thanks in advance.

I've been trying to get DoubleTree or Crowne Plaza on Priceline. I'm up to $100 and haven't been able to get it. I've never used Hotwire - can you tell me how many stars you bid on Hotwire? Thanks in advance.

It was a 3.5 star in San Pedro on hotwire. Use this the website betterbidding dot com and they have lists along with people posting their successful bids. There are separate sections for hotwire/priceline and San Pedro has some threads in the California-other cities and some listings in California-Los Angeles.

For transportation from lax to san pedro....Does super shuttle only pick up outside lax terminals or will it do pickups at lax hotels?

Pretty sure they'll pick up from hotels. You can call them to verify but you should be fine.

I think I arranged a pickup from them years ago when I lived in a condo. Many of the local shuttle services will pick you up wherever and take you wherever. You just won't find pricing online; you have to call them directly to find out how much and arrange for a pickup.

Archived