Cruise Insurance Question

Shazambilo

I have been looking at cruise insurance on insuremytrip.com. After looking at all of the rates, I am totally lost. Is there anything easier to understand. I want to be able to just look at what each cruise line offers and compare prices that way. Does this make any sense? Can anyone tell me which one of the many companies would be the best. I don't want to do "homework" as I am told!!

I have been looking at cruise insurance on insuremytrip.com. After looking at all of the rates, I am totally lost. Is there anything easier to understand. I want to be able to just look at what each cruise line offers and compare prices that way. Does this make any sense? Can anyone tell me which one of the many companies would be the best. I don't want to do "homework" as I am told!!

It is my understanding that insuremytrip.com is not affiliated with any specific cruise line and as far as I know there isn't a way to compare what each cruise line offers. And aren't you doing homework by posting here;)? Which company would be best is based on so many different factors that I'm not sure a conclusive one size fits all answer could be given.

Trip Insurance

The Carnival Berkely Policy offers very low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (but DOES offer Future Cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as due to Pre-Existing Condition) and as of 7/01/2009 includes cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning, and cancellation coverage for Job Layoff. If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. Carnival and Berkely both CLAIM that the Policy also covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is a good deal financially (only) if you're in upper 60's or over, as Age is not factored into the Premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer much higher coverages are much less expensive if you're younger, and generally offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of Cruise Deposit (CSA and HTH allow you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver). Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health/Homeowners Insurance and the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to limits of the policy). If you're traveling with kids, checkout TravelEx and TravelInsured, who insure Kids free with insured adults.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed cruise for flite delay.

TravelInsured includes kids insured free with insured adult.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

You can run sample premiums for your specific age, cruise costs, etc., at the Insurer's sites or at sites such as insuremytrip.com.

Make sure you first check your personal Health plan for out of country coverages and your Homeowners and Credit Card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption & Baggage Loss/Delay coverages!!!

Shazambilo; Having said all the above, if you don't have some specific insurance secenario(s) you're concerned with, and don't want to do a lot of homework, I'd be comfortable recommending CSA Freestyle as a good all-around, moderately-priced Policy, way better than Carnival's Berkely Policy.

Post if you need added info/help.

ken

Wondering about TravelGuard. Have used them before...

TravelGuard is an AIG company, which bothered some, during the Financial crisis.

The TravelGuard "CruiseTour" Policy is probably a bit expensive and has overkill on MedEvac coverage, decent Medical Coverage (which covers not only Emergency Expenses during the cruise, but continuing expenses for 180 days after the cruise-which some don't cover), includes Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions if purchased w/in 15 days of cruise deposit, decent Baggage Loss/Delay coverage and Layoff Coverage.

the TravelGuard "Essential" doesn't look all that great to me, with minimal Medical coverage (with a $50 deductible), no Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions, and low Baggage Delay/Loss coverage (but you CAN upgrade the Medical.

I'd compare the cost/coverages of the AIG TravelGuard "Cruise Tour" Policy with CSA Freestyle and TravelEx.

ken

travelguard is an aig company, which bothered some, during the financial crisis.

The travelguard "cruisetour" policy is probably a bit expensive and has overkill on medevac coverage, decent medical coverage (which covers not only emergency expenses during the cruise, but continuing expenses for 180 days after the cruise-which some don't cover), includes waiver of pre-existing conditions if purchased w/in 15 days of cruise deposit, decent baggage loss/delay coverage and layoff coverage.

The travelguard "essential" doesn't look all that great to me, with minimal medical coverage (with a $50 deductible), no waiver of pre-existing conditions, and low baggage delay/loss coverage (but you can upgrade the medical.

I'd compare the cost/coverages of the aig travelguard "cruise tour" policy with csa freestyle and travelex.

Ken

wow Ken.....YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TravelGuard is an AIG company, which bothered some, during the Financial crisis.

The TravelGuard "CruiseTour" Policy is probably a bit expensive and has overkill on MedEvac coverage, decent Medical Coverage (which covers not only Emergency Expenses during the cruise, but continuing expenses for 180 days after the cruise-which some don't cover), includes Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions if purchased w/in 15 days of cruise deposit, decent Baggage Loss/Delay coverage and Layoff Coverage.

the TravelGuard "Essential" doesn't look all that great to me, with minimal Medical coverage (with a $50 deductible), no Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions, and low Baggage Delay/Loss coverage (but you CAN upgrade the Medical.

I'd compare the cost/coverages of the AIG TravelGuard "Cruise Tour" Policy with CSA Freestyle and TravelEx.

ken

What about TravelGuard "Premier Protect Assist?"

What about TravelGuard "Premier Protect Assist?"

That TravelGuard "Premier Protect Assist" is a very good Policy (to maximize your benefits from it you want to make sure to purchase within 21 days of booking, as there are a number of perks that you get for doing so! including the Waiver of Pre-existing conditions, altho only up to $50,000).

Depending on the specific cruisefare/age combination the premiums vary slightly above/below CSA Freestyle, both of which are comparable.

In my comparisons I haven't yet thorougly read the Policy itself, but based on the Descriptions and coverages I'd have no hesitation buying this Policy!!!

Ken

I used Travelsafe on a cruise to the Mediterranean last summer. My GF lost a necklace. We got the cruise line "security manager" to write up a report, which we turned into Travelsafe along with the purchase receipt for the necklace. The necklace cost around $400, and Travelsafe sent us a check for that amount, with no hassle, argument or challenge.

This was the 3rd time I used Travelsafe, and i will continue to use them. They also have a "Cancel for any reason" option that I always take because I am a business owner and you just never know. . . . .

Can someone explain the pre-existing condition issue? I do not understand it at all. We paid the deposits on our cruises on 11/13/09 and 11/11/09, so are well outside the 21 day time to get a waiver of pre-existing conditions.

None of us have pre-existing conditions. No long term illnesses, conditions, medications, etc.

If one of us ended up getting let's say pneumonia 3 days before we are supposed to embark, would that policy (w/o the pre-existing condition waiver) cover the cancellation of the trip? Would the pneumonia be considered a "pre-existing condition"?

Thanks!

Can someone explain the pre-existing condition issue?

For the travel insurance I had the pre-existing condition period was 60 days before the effective date of the policy. And the effective date of the policy was 12:01am on the day after they received the premium. Different companies have a different number of days.

So, since I was not sick in the 61 days prior to paying my premium I was covered. So if I had gotten pneumonia 3 days before the cruise and had to cancel I would have been covered by the insurance. :)

I used Travelsafe on a cruise to the Mediterranean last summer. My GF lost a necklace. We got the cruise line "security manager" to write up a report, which we turned into Travelsafe along with the purchase receipt for the necklace. The necklace cost around $400, and Travelsafe sent us a check for that amount, with no hassle, argument or challenge.

This was the 3rd time I used Travelsafe, and i will continue to use them. They also have a "Cancel for any reason" option that I always take because I am a business owner and you just never know. . . . .

This is who we use, too. I was impressed by how well, and how fast, they handled the substantial claim(s) we had a couple years ago (Long story; DH had a heart attack on the Liberty). At the time, the insurance only cost us $41 PP. Pretty good investment!

This is who we use, too. I was impressed by how well, and how fast, they handled the substantial claim(s) we had a couple years ago (Long story; DH had a heart attack on the Liberty). At the time, the insurance only cost us $41 PP. Pretty good investment!

Good to hear positive comments about them! This is what company I have used as well, though luckily we have never had to file a claim.

Can someone explain the pre-existing condition issue? I do not understand it at all. We paid the deposits on our cruises on 11/13/09 and 11/11/09, so are well outside the 21 day time to get a waiver of pre-existing conditions.

None of us have pre-existing conditions. No long term illnesses, conditions, medications, etc.

If one of us ended up getting let's say pneumonia 3 days before we are supposed to embark, would that policy (w/o the pre-existing condition waiver) cover the cancellation of the trip? Would the pneumonia be considered a "pre-existing condition"?

Thanks!

Pre-existing conditions mean just that........we don't have any pre-existing conditions either but we do have elderly parents that do.......so this is why we get it.........

That TravelGuard "Premier Protect Assist" is a very good Policy (to maximize your benefits from it you want to make sure to purchase within 21 days of booking, as there are a number of perks that you get for doing so! including the Waiver of Pre-existing conditions, altho only up to $50,000).

Depending on the specific cruisefare/age combination the premiums vary slightly above/below CSA Freestyle, both of which are comparable.

In my comparisons I haven't yet thorougly read the Policy itself, but based on the Descriptions and coverages I'd have no hesitation buying this Policy!!!

Ken

Thanks Ken! This is the policy we have purchased for a few years now.......

Trip Insurance

The Carnival Berkely Policy offers very low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (but DOES offer Future Cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as due to Pre-Existing Condition) and as of 7/01/2009 includes cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning, and cancellation coverage for Job Layoff. If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. Carnival and Berkely both CLAIM that the Policy also covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is a good deal financially (only) if you're in upper 60's or over, as Age is not factored into the Premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer much higher coverages are much less expensive if you're younger, and generally offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of Cruise Deposit (CSA and HTH allow you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver). Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health/Homeowners Insurance and the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to limits of the policy). If you're traveling with kids, checkout TravelEx and TravelInsured, who insure Kids free with insured adults.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

You can run sample premiums for your specific age, cruise costs, etc., at the Insurer's sites or at sites such as insuremytrip.com.

Make sure you first check your personal Health plan for out of country coverages and your Homeowners and Credit Card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption & Baggage Loss/Delay coverages!!!

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed cruise for flite delay.

TravelInsured includes kids insured free with insured adult.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

Shazambilo; Having said all the above, if you don't have some specific insurance secenario(s) you're concerned with, and don't want to do a lot of homework, I'd be comfortable recommending CSA Freestyle as a good all-around, moderately-priced Policy, way better than Carnival's Berkely Policy.

Post if you need added info/help.

ken

I decided to see if there was much of a difference between rates for people my age 59 and someone 29. The exact differece was $11.00. I thought it would be a bigger margin that that, but it wasn't.

Thanks!

WRT Pre-Existing condition - if you got sick on the cruise and submitted a claim, if the Insurer determined that the illness was due to a condition that initially manifested itself in the (60 days for some policies) window before you purchased the insurance, they would deny your claim as being due to a "Pre-Existing condition".

If you had gotten the Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions, the Insurer waives any conditions that happened during that (60 day) window and would pay your claim.

If Carnival Berkely denies your claim as due to a Pre-Existing condition, they will give you a future cruise CREDIT instead of a refund.

In your example, if you got pneumonia 3 days before cruising, you'd be covered if you had to cancell (but a Dr would have to certify that you were not medically fit to travel); the kicker might be if this Pneumonia initially had popped-up, new in the 60 days prior to purchasing the new Policy, then it would be a Pre-Existing condition.

ken

I decided to see if there was much of a difference between rates for people my age 59 and someone 29. The exact differece was $11.00. I thought it would be a bigger margin that that, but it wasn't.

For moderately expensive cruises, with 3rd Party Policies (which factor in age) the difference would normally be quite a bit more than that! ken

WRT Pre-Existing condition - if you got sick on the cruise and submitted a claim, if the Insurer determined that the illness was due to a condition that initially manifested itself in the (60 days for some policies) window before you purchased the insurance, they would deny your claim as being due to a "Pre-Existing condition".

If you had gotten the Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions, the Insurer waives any conditions that happened during that (60 day) window and would pay your claim.

If Carnival Berkely denies your claim as due to a Pre-Existing condition, they will give you a future cruise CREDIT instead of a refund.

In your example, if you got pneumonia 3 days before cruising, you'd be covered if you had to cancell (but a Dr would have to certify that you were not medically fit to travel); the kicker might be if this Pneumonia initially had popped-up, new in the 60 days prior to purchasing the new Policy, then it would be a Pre-Existing condition.

ken

Oh! ok, thanks Ken! I really appreciate you explaining that. We have all been healthy prior to purchasing our policies today (60 days for 1, 180 for the other) so I think we are ok. I can think of 1 thing that might be an issue but I will be proactive before we travel to make sure it's ok (DD has ear tubes) WHEW!

Thank you again. From now on I will make sure to purchase the policy immediately after booking.

Thanx for doing the homework for us Ken. I just purchased from Travelex; best deal for flight delays due to inclement weather. Going from Philadelphia to Miami on Jan 10th.

Thanx again;)

Nunu and LHP - Thanks! If only my boys recognized this wisdoom!!!!

10XCRUISE - If I'm flying, I like Policies with specific "Missed Connection Coverage". TravelEx is almost hands-down choice if you're traveling with (and insuring) kids!!! Being PRIMARY insurance doesn't hurt either when you're submitting a claim. ..... We lived across the Betsy Ross in NJ!

ken

Oh! ok, thanks Ken! I really appreciate you explaining that. We have all been healthy prior to purchasing our policies today (60 days for 1, 180 for the other) so I think we are ok. I can think of 1 thing that might be an issue but I will be proactive before we travel to make sure it's ok (DD has ear tubes) WHEW!

Thank you again. From now on I will make sure to purchase the policy immediately after booking.

Yes - I'd really recommend getting a Policy with Waiver of "Pre-Existing Conditions" - it's real value is that it simplifies & expedites the claims process as it eliminates excuses for the insurer to deny your claim and eliminates need for them to scrutinize your medical history/records!!!

If you get in a bind at cruise booking time, you CAN buy CSA or HTH up to Final Payment with their Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions.

ken

TravelSafe seems to have one of the "clearer written" Policies that you can almost understand when you read it! Only suggestion for anyone new purchasing it specifically for the "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage is to fully read the coverage, as I recall it isn't necessarily 100% and I think decreases the closer you get to sailaway? ken

Archived