Norwegian Star

Carnival AZIPOD

I'm thinking of booking a Mexican Rivera cruise on the Norwegian Star. I've primarily cruised only with Carnival, and never considered NCL but got a pretty nice rate, so I thought it might be worth a try.

For those who have cruised NCL, how is it compared to Carnival? How are the activities, shows, food, and ambiance?

I've tried Princess once and did not enjoy it at all. Primarily due to the lack of activities and age group.

While I have not been on NCL, I am an advocate of trying different lines. You can't really go totally on what you read. Its nice to try new things and see first hand. Carnival will always be "home", but I have enjoyed my RCI cruises alot, and hope to cruise more lines in the near future.

... do it. If you like to eat. Or want a room steward. 5 different cruise lines, over a dozen cruises, 8 or more different ships, 5 day to 14 day cruises, tiny ships to mega ships. Only thing I wouldn't do again (and again and again) is sail with NCL (unless it was free)(or maybe they'd have to pay me). Beautiful ship (NCL Sky, sister to the Star), great itin., blue water, lost 5 pounds on a 7 day cruise. Not a hater - just see no reason to spend my very hard earned $$ on NCL when everyone else offers a product (imho) far superior.

While I have not been on NCL, I am an advocate of trying different lines. You can't really go totally on what you read. Its nice to try new things and see first hand. Carnival will always be "home", but I have enjoyed my RCI cruises alot, and hope to cruise more lines in the near future.

I agree. We like Carnival but it is nice to change things up a bit as well. Nothing like getting lost on a class of ships that you've never been on.

I too am looking at a NCL cruise. (a short one) I want to experience them and be able to talk to others in an objective manner and to get a different cruise company underneath my belt. But Lordy, when I go to the other sites and research NCL citiques. :eek:

I get scared and don't know if I really want to spend my money for that.

I have noiced a commonalty of the reviews (50) but I won't say it now, just so I don't stir up a pot without hearing from ya'll on the board.

GOOD POST OP!

I'm thinking of booking a Mexican Rivera cruise on the Norwegian Star. I've primarily cruised only with Carnival, and never considered NCL but got a pretty nice rate, so I thought it might be worth a try.

For those who have cruised NCL, how is it compared to Carnival? How are the activities, shows, food, and ambiance?

I've tried Princess once and did not enjoy it at all. Primarily due to the lack of activities and age group.

Our first cruise was on the NCL Star in Hawaii for our Honeymoon. The ship is a beautiful ship. The food was very good, but it seedmed like they had the same thing for lunch every day at the buffet. The chocolate extravaganza was to die for. The entire center of the Versailles dinning room had chocolate everything. Unbelievable. On our cruise the shows and activities were geared towards Hawaiian themes and were fantastic. I don't remember much about activites around the pool. The only negative on the Star was the service and it was horrible. From the room steward to the wait staff to the shore excursion staff the service stunk. Hopefully they just had a bad week.

We have sailed NCL, RCCL and CCL and have never had a bad cruise but prefer Carnival. Our last cruise with NCL was 2 or 3 years ago on the Norwegian Spirit. We've always taken at least 7 day cruises and had a balcony or suite. The plus for NCL is that they have a wide variety of dining venues with different menus. We are not picky eaters and we thought the food was fine. For us that was also a negative because you have a different server and different fellow diners almost every meal. I think the atmosphere on NCL is more reserved. Carniival also has more activities and I think the shows are, overall, the best of the 3 lines. Although our last cruise and next 2 are booked with Carnival we would have no hesitation about trying NCL again.

It is so subjective. I’ve been on Carnival the most, but also RCCL and NCL. My review from the Dawn is in my signature line and is in the NCL section on the Board... the Dawn is the sister ship to the Star. After my Jan 08 Dawn cruise, I did a May 08 Star Alaskan cruise in a Garden Villa.

If you can go on NCL in a class that has Butler service, well, let me tell you that is a real treat! I really enjoyed the specialty restaurants on NCL. I really think I could have had fun in an interior cabin, not the same experience as a 5,000 plus sq ft garden villa, but I would have had a good time!

My last cruise, on an older Carnival ship with my kids, was also fun. I did come away thinking the regular dining room food was better on Carnival than NCL, but I could cruise again and change my mind.

I’d go, but that is me.

Been on both, and always had a great time on both. NCL Freestyle eating is really nice - IMO if you're on vacation you should eat when and what you want. Assigned seating is a great way to make friends if you're not good at starting up conversation with strangers.

I think the buffet is better set up on NCL than Carnival in that the food stations are freestanding islands and tend to have shorter lines. For example, salads at one station, hot entrees at another. If you want a hot entree, you don't have to stand on line behind 25 people making salads like you do on Carnival. (At least, that was the way the Freedom and Triumph were set up last year)

24 hour Pizza on Carnival beats NCL for late night snacking. And their Chocolate Melting cake is my favorite desert - although some nights it's more melted then others. Then again, let me see you cook 2000 individual melted cakes and get each one perfect. :)

I never had a meal on either ship that was downright horrible, although the buffets get pretty disgusting after a day or two. On lobster night, NCL gives you half a tail with a few other pieces of shellfish, Carnival a whole tail. Both lines are more than happy to give you extras if you ask.

NCL's "Le-Bistro" restaurant is probably the best meal I ever had on a cruise - and I've been there 3 or 4 times. The Sushi restaurant on NCL is also fun - not the best sushi I've ever had, but what an opportunity to try so many different foods at a great price.

On the NCL GEM in the Med last summer, we never had problems finding recliner chairs to sit in the sun. On the sun deck, there were stacks of chairs ready to be used whenever you wanted them. On the Carnival Triumph, we were using regular chairs (not recliners) to sit on the edge of the jogging track because it was hard to find a recliner or spot in the sun. (I'll go up to the pool at 1PM, not 7AM to throw towels on like many others do). The Triumph had less public sunning space then the NCL Jewel, and less chairs. Twice, when I was lucky enough to snag a recliner during "prime time," it was broken. Those chairs get a lot of use and probably need to be replaced more often.

This is not an anti-Carnival rant by the way, I just booked the Carnival Spirit for next February.

The "Adult" shows on NCL are "cleaned-up" versus Carnival. One of the contract performers on the NCL Jewel last winter told me he's not allowed to use any 4 letter words, and it was much easier to do an adult show on Carnival. Not that that's a buying feature for a cruiser. Maybe Norwegians are more conservative than Americans?

I would go on either cruise line based solely on itinerary and price. It's like McDonald versus Burger King, or Ford versus Chevy. Some people prefer one over the other, but I think the product is very similar.

We have been on all mass market lines with our next trip booked on Carnival. We like NCL very much because of the free style plan with the whole cruise being resort casual. Carnival ships have a more glitzy decor and there probably is more activity. I find food and shows to be great on both lines. I would do either depending on price/itinerary.

Have three cruise on NCL and three on Carnival. They are far more alike then different. Generally speaking, if you like one, you will more than likely enjoy the other. The Star is a great ship. Entertainment and on board activities are definetly areas where NCL tends to shine.

I sailed on the NCL Star last march and I LOVED it.

To me, CCL has slightly better food...only slightly. But NCL has more choices of dining venues. Yes, a lot of the choices are at an extra cost but the cost is minimal and well worth it and you have just as many (sometimes MORE) free choices than you do on CCL. If you don't want to pay extra, the main dining room food is good.

We had excellent service on our Star cruise....NCL has far more entertainment around the ship. Someone is always playing in the main lobby and the bars (nuumerous bars and lounges) always have entertainment as well..and it's phenomenal entertainment.

NCL also has more activities during the day and night and I think the crew on their ships is amazing.

My first NCL cruise was one I went into with very low expectations (because of these boards :rolleyes:) and I was pleasantly surprised....many NCL cruises later, I have become a very huge fan of the line.

I still love CCL as well, but lately I have been honestly looking at more NCL cruises when I want to book something.

OH, and the Mexican Riviera is just awesome. You will love Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan has the most beautiful people I have ever seen...simply gorgeous! Cabo is nice...BUT you will get hounded unmercifully by people selling things.

I did the exact cruise on NCL the OP is considering, and liked it so well we did it AGAIN!

We've sailed on Disney, Princess, Royal Caribbean, and NCL and have never had a bad cruise. We liked them all, but leaned toward NCL for the "anytime dining", and itineraries. (Now most lines are doing some version of "anytime dining", so the playing field is being leveled a bit in that respect.)

I'm booked for my first Carnival Cruise in April, and expect to love that too! Really looking forward to it!

We consider itinerary, price, cruise line, and ship - in that order - when deciding to sail.

I can't compare the NCL STAR to Carnival yet, but I CAN tell you that the Star is a great ship, with a great crew, and a VERY fun ship to sail the Mexican Riviera on! Again...it was so enjoyable that we booked the exact same trip a second time, and would do it again!

I look forward to being able to add the Carnival IMAGINATION cruise to my list of great cruises!

HAVE FUN!

:)

IF you only eat in the dining room or at the buffet then the food on the NCL Star is just HORRIBLE!!!!!

Even my DH , who is noooo foodie thought the choices were just terrible. In the dining room you have to order all the courses you want at one time.

I have enjoyed RCL and will try Carnival now in March but I will NEVER go on NCL again!!

I have sailed NCL 4 times with my 5th booked for April and I have sailed Carnival 7 times with 3 more booked in the next few months. I enjoy both so here's my take :)

Carnival's product is pretty consistent. You get on a Carnival ship & you know what to expect, and other than physical differences between the classes of ships not much changes. That's not a bad thing. Whether you are in a 1A or a suite your experience is basically the same.

NCL seems to vary more, although that may reflect the cruises I chose. Some of the ships were not built with Freestyle in mind, and I don't recommend them for a first time Freestyle cruise. To really experience Freestyle I think it is necessary to budget for some of the Specialty restaurants. As someone mentioned previously, Le Bistro is fabulous. I usually choose a Specialty restaurant every other night on a long cruise and that can add up but I consider it part of the upfront cost. That is more important to me than DODs or pictures, so it works out!

Here are some head to head comparisons from my experience:

Main dining room Food & Service goes to Carnival.

Specialty restaurants (Food, service & variety) goes to NCL.

Buffet set up & food goes to NCL (I am addicted to the Crepe Station)

Production Shows go to NCL. (Cirque Bijou - WOW)

Comedians goes to Carnival. (Love those midnight shows)

Room Stewards - Same, same

Pool activities goes to Carnival (although I hate that ;) )

Martini, Margarita, Whiskey Clinics - NCL

Musical Entertainment - I give the edge to Carnival

Suite perks - NCL by a mile

I have never had a HORRIBLE meal on either line, but I have ocassionally been disappointed on both. Solution - order something else!

IF you only eat in the dining room or at the buffet then the food on the NCL Star is just HORRIBLE!!!!!

some 'horrible' food from the mdr on NCL

(the steak was lunch the first day. The other pics are from a dinner.)

DSC04155.jpg.0077c18858870755b1c658787ad7ac36.jpg

DSC04156.jpg.85aaf20c994327b0547be73f6fe7aab5.jpg

DSC03805.jpg.87992a4cc887e58f1cf3d9fa69d245a4.jpg

DSC04384.jpg.351d9f375e300d9be241b455ee0f975d.jpg

some 'horrible' food from the mdr on NCL

(the steak was lunch the first day. The other pics are from a dinner.)

I can't wait to eat some of the Star's horrible food in April. Mmmmm....!

The the OP - we have sailed 4 lines and enjoyed each one of them. There is no cruiseline that I would NEVER go on again, as some have expressed. I originally sailed on one of the oldest RCCL ships in a superior oceanview that was fairly small compared to Carnival's. Now we are booked on the Allure. I can't wait to see how that compares to the LOS.

Food, IMO is better on CCL, but I was blown away by the food & the service on the Sky (a 3-nt sailing no less:rolleyes:), so it really depends moreso on the ship than the individual line. Food is very subjective, but some people are simply hard to please. The only way you will know is to cruise on the Star and see for yourself.

Have three cruise on NCL and three on Carnival. They are far more alike then different. Generally speaking, if you like one, you will more than likely enjoy the other. The Star is a great ship. Entertainment and on board activities are definetly areas where NCL tends to shine.

I would agree. We sailed NCL and had a great time and have been on multiple Carnival cruises and also had a great time. We found the food very similiar with Carnival having slightly better deck food but NCL's breakfast on deck was great too. I'm not a fan of anytime dining but that is just a personal choice as I enjoy having the same waiter every night. Overall entertainment choices very much the same although the Star did not have a piano bar. However, they did have some live music that was great in one of the bars.

Both cruise lines offer a ton of activities and food. With the right expectations a vacation on either line is a great experience.

I can't wait to eat some of the Star's horrible food in April. Mmmmm....!

The the OP - we have sailed 4 lines and enjoyed each one of them. There is no cruiseline that I would NEVER go on again, as some have expressed. I originally sailed on one of the oldest RCCL ships in a superior oceanview that was fairly small compared to Carnival's. Now we are booked on the Allure. I can't wait to see how that compares to the LOS.

Food, IMO is better on CCL, but I was blown away by the food & the service on the Sky (a 3-nt sailing no less:rolleyes:), so it really depends moreso on the ship than the individual line. Food is very subjective, but some people are simply hard to please. The only way you will know is to cruise on the Star and see for yourself.

Great post! And I totally agree! I can't wait to try NCL's horrible food either LOL!

IF you only eat in the dining room or at the buffet then the food on the NCL Star is just HORRIBLE!!!!!. . . . In the dining room you have to order all the courses you want at one time.

They wanted me to order desert with my dinner. I told the waiter, "no, I don't want to." Then I asked for the desert menu after dinner.

It's your vacation - you're paying for it. Nobody holds a gun to your head and forces you to do anything.

Pics of meals that we paid extra for:

First pics are from the Tex/Mex restaurant

pic 1~ Probably the best tuna I ever had

Pic # 2~ Lobster tacos.....amazing.

Cost: regular price for this dining venue is $10 pp. We hit it on a 1/2 price night (accidentally) and it was $5 pp and the cost included a free Margarita

Pic 3 and 4: Italian Restaurant

Osso Bucco (yum) and Chicken parm

This restuarant is also regularly $10 pp extra

I don't mind paying a little extra for a lot more variety. There are also more expensive dining options, the steak house (Cagney's) is $25 extra pp. I will say that Carnival's surcharge restaurant ($30 pp) is better than Cagney's. I prefer NCL's Le Bistro, which is an extra $20 pp to Cagney's.

There is also the choice of Teppanyaki on NCL ($25 pp) and this is really good.

DSC03636.jpg.732769fb90468c6c53c0eb64287eea64.jpg

DSC03644.jpg.16d60f8f41645bc64647888d6ad519ad.jpg

DSC04221.jpg.bb283ee75fa5056c34b2c4969cbdd2c5.jpg

DSC04222.jpg.88dc67b83f3066690989751315370fcd.jpg

We sailed the Star and had a good time. But we prefer Carnival. I found the Bingo much more expense on NCL. THere was a major lack of activities on the ship - the NCL Univeristy where you can educate yourself either costs $10 to learn to make 3 drinks and you get 3 sample sizes or the take place during the excursion discussions. My friend went and they said that Abe Lincoln museum was in Springfield, MO and Not Springfield, Illinois. We are from Spfld, MO so she caught mistake - no else did, I guess.

There were times when I could not find something to eat on NCL - sound hard to believe on a cruise. The little burger/fish place was packed, buffet closed, and I didn't want to go back to my room and order room service.

THe Freestyle dining is no big deal. Carnival offers it now and I am not a fan of paying more for eatting in the speciality restaurants. If the cruise was a lot cheaper than Carnival than sure it would be okay - but NCL is usually more than CCL and there are so fewer departure ports to select.

We had a good time. The ship left from the port we could get to and Carnival was departing from there at the time. If I had to select between Carnival and NCL and the price was close, I would select Carnival because if you will end up paying more on board NCL. (there tips per day are more AND you can NOT remove or reduce!)

I also did not like all the entertainers hanging out in the spa. I paid extra to be in the spa like the Dream has and several evenings the hot tub and hydro(something) had entertainers and hair salon workers. Not to sound snobby but if I am spending $20 a day to relax in there, it would be nice if there was room.

I also felt ripped off that the restaurant charges changed went up after we booked and ones that were free were no longer free after booked. Just felt a bit like bait and switch. I know it isn't but still felt mislead.

Archived