A couple of new souvenir options . . .

nodumblond

As an employee of a nfp in the States, I'm always happy when our brethren doing good works in other countries come up with clever ways to raise funds and awareness. I stumbled across two of them while in port at Belize City and thought I'd give them some love . . . .

In the recently (re?)-opened 'court' of shops across the street from the international pier is the Kolbe Foundation's store. You have to hunt for it -- it's tucked on the far right hand side of the shops in a 'dead end', but it's worth it. They feature beautiful carved items in mahogany -- from salad tongs to elaborate chairs and doors -- all of which are created by inmantes in the Belizean Central Prison. The Foundation was created by local Rotarians to take over the management of the Prison after years of issues, and is dedicated to the secure management and humane rehabilitation through ministry of the facility.

At the pier itself, if you can slog through all the crowds looking for Diamonds International and the NCL tender station, there's a tent with cute t-shirts, dog collars, bandannas, and other things on sale to support the Belize Humane Society.

Just thought I'd share this in case anyone is lookng for a different souvenir that actually make a difference for both the seller and the recipient. :p

As an employee of a nfp in the States, I'm always happy when our brethren doing good works in other countries come up with clever ways to raise funds and awareness. I stumbled across two of them while in port at Belize City and thought I'd give them some love . . . .

In the recently (re?)-opened 'court' of shops across the street from the international pier is the Kolbe Foundation's store. You have to hunt for it -- it's tucked on the far right hand side of the shops in a 'dead end', but it's worth it. They feature beautiful carved items in mahogany -- from salad tongs to elaborate chairs and doors -- all of which are created by inmantes in the Belizean Central Prison. The Foundation was created by local Rotarians to take over the management of the Prison after years of issues, and is dedicated to the secure management and humane rehabilitation through ministry of the facility.

At the pier itself, if you can slog through all the crowds looking for Diamonds International and the NCL tender station, there's a tent with cute t-shirts, dog collars, bandannas, and other things on sale to support the Belize Humane Society.

Just thought I'd share this in case anyone is lookng for a different souvenir that actually make a difference for both the seller and the recipient. :p

Good ideas! I, too, am always looking for something different than the usual T-shirts, etc.

Thanks for the post.

We got the most beautiful wooden bowl from Belize on our last trip made of many different types of wood. It's one of my favorite souvenirs. I also got one for my mother-in-law who was watching my girls back home. Although her bowl is perfect, mine split a little bit from the humidity change :( Still love it though!!

Archived